Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 35 replies

Apparently I'm rude?

kickmeoffphonescoop

Apr 17, 2008, 3:32 PM
Preface: I work for Verizon Wireless.

A customer walks up. They ask me, "Do you know where the T Mobile store is in this mall?"

I say, "Where did you go to school?"

Customer says, "What does that have to do with where the store is?"

I say, "It doesn't. It has to do with your level of literacy."

Customer gives me blank look.

I state, "The sign (I point towards sign) says Verizon Wireless, does it not?"

Customer still gives me blank look.

I restate, "Does this sign say Sprint?"

Still looking blank at me.

I say, "Does my nametag say, "Hi, my name is Shane, I work for Verizon, but I'd love you help you with your Sprint phone?"

Still looking blank at me.

"If you're interested in switching phone companies, or yo...
(continues)
kickmeoffphonescoop

Apr 17, 2008, 3:34 PM
That first line should have said, "Do you know where the SPRINT store..."

Some people will still read and reply with stupid sh*t.
GWaLK

Apr 17, 2008, 3:37 PM
i dont mean to be rude. but you do insult the customer pretty bad IMO

funny nonetheless
eljeffe666

Apr 17, 2008, 4:04 PM
can i work for u
mogulking

Apr 17, 2008, 4:06 PM
we need more people like you in the industry! YOU ROCK HAHA! 🤣
mogulking

Apr 17, 2008, 4:07 PM
sorry that was supposed to be for the top thread. im retarded.
eljeffe666

Apr 17, 2008, 4:08 PM
hey i can stand being told they need more of me lol
SprintTechMN

Apr 17, 2008, 4:13 PM
Thank you. I hate it when people come in to the store I work at and ask for the location of one of the other carriers.
lscarb85

Apr 17, 2008, 6:15 PM
what?! ur not a mall directory?!
Foamy

Apr 17, 2008, 4:16 PM
I hate people like that. I had a phone call like that.

M- (halfway through the opening schpiel)

C- (interupting) HELLO?

M- Yes?

C- Do you have PCS?

M- I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean (PCS is a generic term for cell phones if you don't know)

C- Do you have PCS?

heard ya the first time, still don't know wtf you want)

M- I'm sorry, what do you mean by PCS?

C- PCS! MetroPCS!

M- Sir, we are a Verizon dealer.

C- So do you have PCS?

M- (in the exact same tone and manner) Sir, we are a Verizon dealer.

C- Where's MetroPCS at then?

M- I don't know I'm a Verizon dealer

He pretty much hung up while I was still saying that last phrase.
ac4321

Apr 17, 2008, 4:32 PM
Yeah, that is pretty rude. At the very most you should have said, "this is Verizon and we can't direct you to our competition."

I always tell them where the other store is though. Often I'll say, "it's over (insert location), but come back and see me if you want great personal service." Given how little "work" is involved in doing that occasionally, it's well worth the sales it brings.

😛
MizzSprint

Apr 17, 2008, 4:43 PM
That's awesome! lol Too bad Sprint is trying to bring the customer sevice up, so I'm soon going to get paid on customer satisfaction. I have no patience for stupid people.I wish they would start using their common sense.
charliegirl

Apr 17, 2008, 4:52 PM
didn't you say a while back that you left the wireless industry for radio?
kickmeoffphonescoop

Apr 17, 2008, 5:58 PM
I'm part time for the healthcare.

LOL.
ihateeverything

Apr 17, 2008, 7:09 PM
part time manager? wow what mystical fantasy dimension is this
ihateeverything

Apr 17, 2008, 5:08 PM
You're a f--king jackass. Granted what you did was funny, you could have said you didn't know and then stated you had better deals in the event they come back. Why would that possibility occur to them now?
ecast7969

Apr 17, 2008, 5:20 PM
ohh please he's just saying what we all cant really say to the cust..trust me i will get those really stupid calls and i will love to say what im really thinking about them but we cant..if i knw i could get away with it trust me i will tell them about why they dont deserve any credit to the accnt becz there F**king stupid and dont need it!!! 😈 😈 😈 😈
ihateeverything

Apr 17, 2008, 7:05 PM
Well here's the deal. The guys in a mall. Someone in the mall asked him where another cell phone place was in the mall. Instead of trying to use this to his advantage he acted like he was the queen of ****ing england because he works for another provider. He could have offered them a better deal before they left and then they would come back when sprint doesnt do what they want. I know, I've done this numerous times. The guy doesnt care enough.
ihateeverything

Apr 17, 2008, 7:08 PM
And lets face it, there's a 50/50 chance they were going in for upgrades and you know how dealers treat upgrade prices. All I'm saying is nothing would have been lost by spending 5 minutes with them, especially for a manager, who apparently gets payed more to not utilize his full sales potential.
ecast7969

Apr 17, 2008, 8:30 PM
ohh wow and i guess U just love helping out the cust huh??
ihateeverything

Apr 18, 2008, 2:28 PM
Yes I help them out if there is potential to benefit me. You must not be in sales or you work for walmart or something. As I have stated, I have taken other providor's customers numerous times. Maybe youre just not as good at sales?
ecast7969

Apr 18, 2008, 2:30 PM
I work in a call center and all i deal with is sales so umm i would say im really good at selling!!!
Nikoletta

Apr 17, 2008, 5:19 PM
You were kind of burning bridges, I wouldn't have said it like that but I do think people need to understand how rude it is to come up to a store belonging to one mobile provider and ask for the location of another. I might have said

"Well, if you're looking to switch over or need help getting your Sprint Account number to port I can certainly help you, otherwise I am going to have to ask you to check the mall directory/phone book for the Sprint Store location." Or try for something a little more polite. People are idiots, true, but we usually have to pretend that they aren't to their faces.
monkeyracer

Apr 17, 2008, 5:38 PM
Would the conversation have been the same if the person asked where the GAP was? Probably not, because it wasn't a competitor.

I agree that he was a DumbF*** for asking where your competitor was. (Who goes into McDonalds and asks where the nearest Burger King is??)

I work in a destination store, and people always come in and ask where other stores are at (non-competitors) or we'll get calls (since we're the store that 411 gives out for our area) asking where other locations of our stores are at.

It's annoying, yes, but you spent more time demeaning the guy then it would have taken to show why he should switch to your network, or at least to say, "on the other side of the mall"

In that regards, you might have lost a sale, or even...
(continues)
kickmeoffphonescoop

Apr 17, 2008, 6:01 PM
Okay, I get what you're trying to say.

Instead of being rude, I'll just tell them the Sprint store is on the other side of the mall.

Once they're close to the door, I'll chuck the grenade.
ecast7969

Apr 17, 2008, 6:05 PM
hahaha yea blow up them stupid customer!!!yeeaaa
hereticcavi

Apr 17, 2008, 6:23 PM
i got yelled at last week for A) not being able to fix an AT&T fone, B) and then for not having a car charger for his Sony Ericson fone......i was like i work at sprint. Your in a sprint store. were not AT&T. and he just kept yelling. I just kept repeating that till the third time he said "sprint service sucks im glad i have AT&T"
ecast7969

Apr 17, 2008, 6:38 PM
hahaha what a FU*KING RETARD!!!
OfAMightDivine

Apr 17, 2008, 10:41 PM
What the hell is a fone? Do you mean 'phone'?
hereticcavi

Apr 18, 2008, 11:16 AM
excellent deduction skills sir
OfAMightDivine

Apr 18, 2008, 12:36 PM
Well, there was a hidden message in my question. I was trying to say that if you work in the industry, a basic minimum would be to spell the object you work most with correctly. I'll try not to disguise my sarcasm so much anymore and just openly call you an idiot.

Idiot.
yoboy8

Apr 18, 2008, 9:30 AM
NICE 😁
UOQuack

Apr 18, 2008, 9:59 AM
When this happens to me, I'm usually super nice and (seemingly) helpful, but I will give incorrect directions. Gives me greater satisfaction to get them lost than it does to be rude. The only exceptions I make are if the customer is a super hot chick or an out of towner who has been really polite.
cconnectderek

Apr 18, 2008, 10:14 AM
hahahahaha I hate that the most when someone comes in asking where a competitors store is. Just cuz I work in the phone biz doesn't mean i know where all the other phone companies in the world are.
dualitycomplex

Apr 19, 2008, 8:35 PM
hah, i am hoping that is the thought proccess you had and not what you actually said, if i worked at your store and heard you say that first thing i would do is call your boss and ask for your job since

A. you dont care about your job
B. Lost a possible future customer
C. Made your carrier look bad
D. Are most likely the kind of manager who slacks off and yells at his employees to do his bidding because of a job title ( just an assumption, but i would say a safe one here if you look at point A )

Be glad you dont work for me, if i ever caught any of my employees pull that kind of BS i would walk out get the customer to come back into the store and fire you infront of them.
Leishbl

Apr 21, 2008, 12:26 PM
Ha. I'll have to agree pretty rude; however, nothing more than what each one of us actually want to say when someone comes in and asks. I had a lady come in the other day wanting to pay her bill.

Lady: Can I pay my AT&T bill here?

Me: I apologize, but this is a Sprint store.

Lady: Well, aren't you all the same?

Me: Unfortunately, whatever company is listed at the top of your bill is your actual carrier. I cannot accept your payment.

Lady: Can you at least pull my account up?

Me: Miss, you are not with our company.

Lady: This is why I never came to you guys in the first place.

Lady leaves.

Me: [Blank]

Interesting people come in our stores..."interesting"

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.