Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 22 replies

Here is me being stupid!

persistentchaos

Apr 14, 2008, 6:19 PM
Why do they call it a QWERTY keyboard. All of the other possibilities like ASDFGH or ZXCVBN and they choose QWERTY why don't they just say, "Hey man this phone has a full keyboard" Then the customer (stupid as ussual) wouldn't say what's QWERTY
sevikath

Apr 14, 2008, 6:30 PM
because then customers would ask whats a full keyboard look like...or how full is the keyboard. face it we are dealing with retards
custservguru

Apr 14, 2008, 6:34 PM
how bout just keyboard? if they don't know what that is.. they don't need a phone with one.. but i hear ya.
MizzSprint

Apr 15, 2008, 3:22 PM
When you look at a QWERTY keyboard u will notice even on your desktop and laptop Q-W-E-R-T-Y are the first 6 letters on the keyboard.
ihateeverything

Apr 15, 2008, 3:50 PM
no **** guys a dumb ass
VZWMT123

Apr 17, 2008, 10:25 AM
Cuz they would want to know how they are supposed to get a FULL keyboard in there pocket and it they have to ask what a Qwerty keyboard is they should probably get a different phone ๐Ÿคฃ
BigShowJB

Apr 14, 2008, 6:40 PM
tell them the keyboard is in a typewriter layout.

๐Ÿคจ ๐Ÿ˜ณ ๐Ÿคจ ๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿ˜ณ ๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿ˜•
eDreamerz

Apr 14, 2008, 7:20 PM
A what layout? ๐Ÿคฃ
cnightwolf

Apr 14, 2008, 10:09 PM
well, there are several "full keyboards" out there ... i'm thinking the normal format for keypads is called QWERTY since, when looking at the keyboard, QWERTY appears in the top left corner, which is where most people start reading from.

now ... take for instance the keyboard on the blackberry pearl, this is a "full keyboard" with all necessary keys and whatnot.

so ... yeah ... in yo face nucka!
ErikaMarie

Apr 15, 2008, 12:04 PM
& is easier to say...

Don't hate on the qwerty.
Nikoletta

Apr 15, 2008, 6:51 PM
That's a bit of a valid point really and a better answer than any I have seen so far to the actual question.

They are the first six letters on the top left and it's also a combination that (kinda) forms a word that you can use and say. Try saying "asdfgh" or "zxcvbn" just doesn't make sense, qwerty does.
tick

Apr 16, 2008, 1:14 PM
Nikoletta said:
That's a bit of a valid point really and a better answer than any I have seen so far to the actual question.

They are the first six letters on the top left and it's also a combination that (kinda) forms a word that you can use and say. Try saying "asdfgh" or "zxcvbn" just doesn't make sense, qwerty does.

The QWERTY keyboard layout was originally designed for typewriters with the letters arranged stratigically so that the typewriter keys wouldn't jam or get stuck when someone used them. So the letters Q W E R T and Y ending up next to each other was the byproduct of this arrangment (or so I heard).
Nikoletta

Apr 17, 2008, 4:26 PM
That absolutely makes sense, I can see that having used a manual type writing myself many times.

The lettering was really just a happy coincidence that it spelled something that vaguely resembled a word so we use it to describe the layout.
Kagehiru

Apr 15, 2008, 12:26 PM
Because someobody, somewhere, will one day make a Dvorak(sp?) layout instead and then they'll have to try and spell/say that instead.
BigShowJB

Apr 16, 2008, 9:37 AM
I guess a Dvorak kb would be easier to say and possibly use than a Chrplyewich kb....

it's pronounced crip-LEV-ich for the non-polish out there
tick

Apr 16, 2008, 1:15 PM
Kagehiru said:
Because someobody, somewhere, will one day make a Dvorak(sp?) layout instead and then they'll have to try and spell/say that instead.

Lol, good one! ๐Ÿคฃ
liquidfire

Apr 16, 2008, 12:32 PM
umm prolly cuz thats what that design kb has been called since the 80s....
swilki

Apr 16, 2008, 12:49 PM
Its called QWERTY cause its the top six letters on the left hand side of the keyboard, you would use with your left hand Q W E R T Y, dont ask me who came up with it but yay there it is.
tick

Apr 16, 2008, 1:16 PM
swilki said:
Its called QWERTY cause its the top six letters on the left hand side of the keyboard, you would use with your left hand Q W E R T Y, dont ask me who came up with it but yay there it is.

https://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff= ... »
SprintTechMN

Apr 17, 2008, 10:21 AM
Because a QWERTY keyboard is different than an ANSI keyboard. There are a few different formats for keyboards. QWERTY is standard because it was developed to slow typists down so that they wouldn't jam there typewritters, It just never really changed. There is at least one other format that is designed for efficiency now that computers don't jam while typing, if I remember correcly, it's called ANSI.
tick

Apr 17, 2008, 10:33 AM
SprintTechMN said:
Because a QWERTY keyboard is different than an ANSI keyboard. There are a few different formats for keyboards. QWERTY is standard because it was developed to slow typists down so that they wouldn't jam there typewritters, It just never really changed. There is at least one other format that is designed for efficiency now that computers don't jam while typing, if I remember correcly, it's called ANSI.

https://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff= ... » ๐Ÿ™‚
SprintTechMN

Apr 17, 2008, 10:47 AM
I know. That wasn't a speculative statement.

Here's more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QWERTY
tick

Apr 17, 2008, 11:08 AM
Aww, weak I can't check that link. Wiki is blocked at work. :c(

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.