Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 15 replies

The End of Contract Phone Sales = My Dream

Pure1rish

Apr 2, 2008, 9:11 AM
I am not sure about most people in the wireless industry. But myself, I am very tired of referring people to other places to get their phone because they:

-Don't want to sign a contract
-Can't afford to buy a phone outright
-Are not available for an upgrade

Or are too mindless, to understand an Exception upgrade and how they save money by doing so...

Like most people, I dream of the day, or the store where you can go in and buy a phone without a contract. A cheap phone, a decent phone or the phone of your dreams...

Anyone else out there feel what I am saying.

E-Bay wholesalers are making a killing and I would like to see some statistics or a study on what is really going on in the wireless industry.

PS--The only reason ...
(continues)
ajstrong

Apr 2, 2008, 3:26 PM
that is a nice dream, but that would also mean the end of payouts for the salespeople, essentially. not that I'm opposed to such a thing; the american public would pout, and find different ways around it.
Blumpelstiltskin

Apr 2, 2008, 3:54 PM
So in other words you're asking the phone manufactures to give away the phones they're making. They won't be making phones for long when they're not turning a profit.

ebay wholesalers make a profit because they sell (for the most part) refurbs, or unlocked phones... you want a cheap decent phone? Define decent... you want a camera? That's gonna be extra. Bluetooth? Yup, extra. You want your phone to be more use than two cups on a string? yeah.. you guessed it... that's gonna cost something.

If things were your way, companies would be out of business, and people would be out of thousands of jobs. Congrats! What's the cure for our economy's recession? JOB CUTS!! Good thinking - now pack your bags.

You're fired.
Pure1rish

Apr 2, 2008, 4:05 PM
That's Fine.....& Dandy

I'm talking about the American Public having to pay the regular price for phones, just like they do all over the rest of the world.

Copy that...

Roger, Over and Out..

No more no less, just like the rest of the world...

It'll never happen though because AT&T stocks would Plummit due to loss of customer contracts....and if you don't know by now, AT&T runs the wireless world..!!
Blumpelstiltskin

Apr 2, 2008, 4:16 PM
If all plans were with no contract, you'd not only see the phone prices go up, but you'd also witness the rate plans skyrocket.

39.99 a month on a two year contract...would turn into 70 a month with no contract. It's all about profit margins.
motoguy75

Apr 4, 2008, 2:58 PM
i disagree with the rates going up. there is no reason why rates should go up, hell we offer unlimited talk, text, and internet at my company for only 40 a month. the phone prices might skyrocket, but there is no reason for rates to go up except for more profit.
OfAMightDivine

Apr 4, 2008, 10:42 PM
Uh... the main objective to any business is to make as much money as possible. Lots of businesses use contracts as a way to make sure they get as much revenue as possible. No contracts = unsure profit margins. Seems to me you work for a teeny carrier. Of course, National Carriers and local carriers are way diffrent in how they get their profit.
Blumpelstiltskin

Apr 5, 2008, 8:46 AM
OfAMightDivine said:
Uh... the main objective to any business is to make as much money as possible. Lots of businesses use contracts as a way to make sure they get as much revenue as possible. No contracts = unsure profit margins. Seems to me you work for a teeny carrier. Of course, National Carriers and local carriers are way diffrent in how they get their profit.

Exactly. This isn't Burger King: You can't have it your way.
custservguru

Apr 3, 2008, 5:24 PM
Actually, we have 2 cell companies here in Ohio that do that.

1.Cricket
2.Cincinnatti Bell

Both are semi-local only to a point. They don't offer the national coverage that most cellular companies offer. Cricket though does offer unlimited everything for $50. Course, the web is much slower, more limited, and thier phones suck and are seriously over priced.

The price we pay to get phones cheaper.
cincysalesrep

Apr 3, 2008, 7:29 PM
I feel the need to clarify your statements about Cincinnati Bell, as the way they handle wireless is something special.

Cincinnati Bell does indeed offer postpaid plans w/o a contract, and that is a huge sell point. They DO offer nationwide service thanks to a nice roaming agreement with ATT, and offer postpaid plans that are very competitive (500 min, n/w, m2m for $40, unlim txt $15) though phone discounts aren't as much as Verizon or ATT. Most customers understood when you told them the trade off of no contracts.

They can do this because they have very high retention rates thanks to top notch customer service, I worked at a multicarrier dealer and Bell reps were by far the easiest to work with.

That said, thanks to new management ...
(continues)
cilvzwagent

Apr 3, 2008, 7:15 PM
Do away with cost of phones altogether. I'm sick of people who complain because they have to buy a phone PLUS pay their monthly bill (THE HORROR!!!) They should do a test market, and have plans based on which phone they pick. People don't want to pay for the equipment, fine! But you're plan is going to cost you a heck of a lot more. Oh, and no warranty's. Your phone dies, so does your plan and number. Let's see how many people would complain about it after going through something like that.
OfAMightDivine

Apr 4, 2008, 12:43 AM
You know they still would.
motoguy75

Apr 4, 2008, 3:01 PM
you know, if it wasn't for those whining, cheap, problematic pains we call customers, we wouldn't have a job. or anything to post for that matter. 🙂
Pure1rish

Apr 4, 2008, 3:37 PM
There will always be customers....

There will always be people needing a Mobile Phone, So don't bring up customers...

The problem is, how the customers were raised in the American Cell phone market. It's the Only market that works off of contracts, so it's not their fault they are sick of paying Crazy phone bill prices and expecting a free phone.

It's a messed up trend, and I GUARENTEE you see a change in the American Cell phone Market.

Don't think AT&T and Verizon are not planning on this or preparing for this....because they are...
OfAMightDivine

Apr 4, 2008, 10:44 PM
Yeah, the ONLY way this would work is if ALL National Carriers did it at the same time. If they didn't, you know customers would flock to the place they can get the cheapest phone with a contract.
Blumpelstiltskin

Apr 5, 2008, 8:57 AM
The phone manufacturers... They have just as much a say in the price, if not more than the carrier.

All carriers mark up the phones to turn a profit - there's no disputing that. The carrier buys the phones from the manufacturer, loads them up with their software, and slaps them on the shelf for people to complain about.

Think down the food chain - all the way down. In order for your phone price to drop the carrier needs to buy it from the manufacturer for cheaper. In order for a cheaper wholesale price - the companies supplying the parts must sell their parts for cheaper... the other alternative is that the companies pay their employees less.

That's not going to happen - when is the last time you've seen a significant price dro...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.