Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 28 replies

What is this country coming to?!

fyredawg

Mar 18, 2008, 7:52 PM
I just had a Spanish-speaking customer come up to the store and get angry at me cuz I don't speak Spanish.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

I mean, this guy was ANGRY! Are you kidding?! First off, sorry if my job doesn't pay me extra to be bi-lingual, nor do they teach classes on how to be bi-lingual. And lastly, but most importantly, you're in America, not Mexico. Learn English!!!
traegon

Mar 18, 2008, 8:07 PM
As un politically correct as it may be to say it, I agree. 🙄
Nikoletta

Mar 18, 2008, 8:28 PM
Honestly, I do too. I have nothing against people coming to the US but it bugs the crap out of me that they (and yes I know they are a minority, I know most try to learn English and I know learning a new language is hard, I now speak 3 so don't even start with me about how hard it is to learn a new language as an adult, I learned my 2nd and 3rd as an adult. I will admit I am not fluent in the 2nd but can hold a converstation.) expect us to provide them with translators. This isn't just concerning Spanish, I mean anybody moving to the US. It's great, fantastic even, that many companies are willing to accommodate but people should not expect translators and should CERTAINLY not get angry at people working for the company because one isn't ...
(continues)
traegon

Mar 18, 2008, 10:12 PM
Most deaf people have a organization that can actually call and will have a person who acts as the go between. I've taken a few of these calls. The first couple are really odd, because your suppose to speak to them like your speaking to a customr. Hard to do 🙂
Nikoletta

Mar 18, 2008, 11:23 PM
I know, I want to work for one of those one day. There is a lot of variation in them, and Deaf can also have an interpretor come to a location if they want and interpret face to face. A GREAT example of that was on the show West Wing, the character Joey Lucas. The funniest thing was watching her sign and hearing the guy who was with her yelling (because they have to match tone and she was YELLING with her hands) "I'm Joey Lucas!" Very fun for a signing person such as myself.
Crapbag

Mar 18, 2008, 8:36 PM
If your job offered one? What if it was a paid class?
Nikoletta

Mar 18, 2008, 10:02 PM
Absolutely, in a heartbeat.
fyredawg

Mar 19, 2008, 2:57 PM
Definitely
ucantbeserious

Mar 18, 2008, 8:46 PM
hey lets go to mexico and get mad cause they dont speak english.. and time how long we stay alive!
ralph_on_me

Mar 19, 2008, 9:06 AM
Actually they do speak English in many of the towns and cities within an hour of the border. They do because they know tourists speak English, and they want to sell them things. It's good business.

Spanish is also much more predominant in the U.S. than English is in Mexico. Over 10% of the U.S. population speaks Spanish as their primary language. 82% of the population speaks English, and the other 8% are made of of mainly Native American languages. That means 1/10 people you come into contact with are going to speak Spanish.
cballentine

Mar 19, 2008, 10:02 AM
Maybe in arizona or california where up to 30 % of the population uses spanish as its primary language and up to 50% as there second language......for the south as in az,texas,california, and new mexico that higher number is what makes it so that it seems that 1 in 10 people you meet will speak spanish.....but in any other state the number is closer to 1/30 so it is great customer service those southern 4 states to be bilinguial but the 1/30 up here about 90% can speak atleast broken english as a means to survive
ralph_on_me

Mar 19, 2008, 10:59 AM
I agree with the essence of what you said, but your math was a little off. If it's 30% in California then 3/10 people would speak Spanish. In other states where more people speak Spanish that number climbs higher. The 1/10 were figures based on national statistics, but you're absolutely right that in some places in the US it could be 4/5's of the population, and 1/30 in others.
cballentine

Mar 19, 2008, 11:03 AM
30% in california arizona newmexico and texas they account for close to 25% of the nations population so there numbers would drastically effect the rest of the nation .....
ralph_on_me

Mar 19, 2008, 12:42 PM
Okay?

If 10% of the US population speaks Spanish as their primary language, then 1/10 Americans speak Spanish as their primary language.

10% = 0.10 = 1/10

The percentage of Spanish speaking citizens in any state is already counted in that figure since it's a national percentage.
cballentine

Mar 19, 2008, 1:12 PM
i am saying that the need for spanish speaking reps is greater in those states because the number in lets say ohio is closer to 1 %
ucantbeserious

Mar 19, 2008, 1:52 PM
im not saying noone in mexico speaks english what i was saying is we have no right to go to mexico, where the primary language is spanish and then get mad because someone doesnt speak english. Just like someone doesnt have a right to get irate and angry when someone in america a primarily english speaking country doesnt speak spanish.
ralph_on_me

Mar 19, 2008, 3:03 PM
I was just trying to goad someone into saying "English is the National Language of the US" so I'd have something to argue about.

Don't bother saying it now, it's no fun if the other party knows I really don't care
ucantbeserious

Mar 19, 2008, 3:14 PM
oh ok.. oh well was kind of a boring topic anyway..
Donna FireHammer

Mar 18, 2008, 8:50 PM
my old boyfriend that worked at a call center with me spoke english as a second language and when they put him in the spanish queue without paying him as a bilingual rep he "forgot" how to speak spanish
Nikoletta

Mar 18, 2008, 11:20 PM
They do need to pay extra for reps who are bi-or-poly-lingual, especially if they are using those skills.
BigShowJB

Mar 19, 2008, 11:11 AM
I should go and learn sanskrit and aramaic, and claim I speak a second language and try to get paid for it
ac4321

Mar 19, 2008, 1:23 PM
I think it's a matter that you met a jerk that happened to be an immigrant than anything. I've had that before, but it's *far* fewer than red/blue blooded Americans. I'd gladly have one pissed off Spanish speaking customer every few months than the many, many Americans we help every day.

I think immigrants should learn English and a good number of them do, but they are more polite to us on average than Americans.
fyredawg

Mar 19, 2008, 3:02 PM
I disagree. They are ignorant, they look at me funny when I try to talk to them, and that's if they even acknowledge me at all. They're rude, they leave messes on my counter, and their children are out of control.
cc

Mar 19, 2008, 3:49 PM
Really? I find that most the time if I can't communicate with them, I don't know if they are ignorant.
True some do look at me funny or ignore me but then I just ignore them, and they are few so I get over it rather quickly.
They have about the same ratio of rude:nice as all the english speaking customers I get.
Hillbilly cowboys leave more messes then anyone.
As for their children...they are usually the most well-behaved, grateful children I see...and many times they are even more polite when translating.
🙂
ac4321

Mar 19, 2008, 4:00 PM
The school aged children are well behaved, but toddlers run around with little to no supervision. Even my hispanic coworkers laugh about it.

🤣
TeamAzul

Mar 19, 2008, 3:14 PM
I'm hispanic, but I totally agree with you. I don't know where they get the idea that we should cater to them. My mom (spanish-speaking) has never gone demanding that someone speak to her in Spanish. It is us coming into a foreign country. We should be honored and glad that we are able to stay.
spazebar

Mar 19, 2008, 6:58 PM
This reminds me of my favorite xkcd comic. So by your logic when are you gonna go learn Cherokee?
suncomunist

Mar 20, 2008, 1:21 PM
I understand what you're trying to say and totally agree with you but learning other languages never hurts anyone.

This reminds me, the other day a rep from suncom US, called my dept in Puerto Rico because one of their customers had accidentaly changed the language on their phone to spanish, she was freaking out. I was able to assist her client without any problems and he was amazed that i was able to assist him better than the english talking rep.
cellphoneguy26

Mar 22, 2008, 2:35 PM
I feel on that one !

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.