Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 5 replies

Credit *sigh*

J3T

Dec 2, 2004, 3:58 PM
Does anyone else here have to run credit checks on people? Everytime someone comes back with a 700$ deposit to get a phone,they start yelling like I messed up thier credit!Sheesh!Gimme a break! Sorry,had to get that off my chest.
tyrjohn

Dec 2, 2004, 4:30 PM
Man I feel for u.
Glad I don't have to do it.
shackgirl

Dec 12, 2004, 10:44 PM
I feel for you too. I have to deal with it all the time. God forbid you give them another choice like prepaid instead of the depoist. I get yelled at for that alot too.
Corpo Rat

Dec 13, 2004, 1:42 PM
J3T said:
Does anyone else here have to run credit checks on people? Everytime someone comes back with a 700$ deposit to get a phone,they start yelling like I messed up thier credit!Sheesh!Gimme a break! Sorry,had to get that off my chest.

When I used to work retail, I did it all the time - the best ever was the time I ran credit for a guy, and he came up with the infamous $1K-go-away-we-don't-want-you Verizon deposit, and he freaked out, raving about how it was a racist conspiracy among all the cellular providers and every company wanted to charge him an outrageous deposit...

I truly wanted to crawl away and die. Then I switched to doing business accounts, and that's a whole other story.
bradleyt78

Dec 14, 2004, 8:03 PM
These people are rediculous! It's like they think WE ruined there credit! PAY YOUR BILLS = DON'T PAY A DEPOSIT. It's really that simple! I just tell them, "the deposit decision is based on YOUR CREDIT RATING. I cannot view your credit report, the computer simply tells me what is required based on your credit rating and history." That usually shuts them up, because they know they have ****ty credit...
PhoneTwit

Dec 17, 2004, 11:33 PM
A high deposit just doesn't come with bad credit (bills not paid) but no credit. No history of using a credit card or buying a car, for example. I explain this to people, and it saves them some embarrassment and cuts down on aggressive comments. Instead of saying "you're a deadbeat" it says "you haven't had a chance to establish good credit." It lets me seem a little more nurturing and friendly.

Occasionally, I end up suggesting people join a credit union and apply for credit card through the credit union. Just a suggestion!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.