Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 13 replies

Discovery questions

The Handsome

Nov 16, 2004, 3:57 PM
I hate discovery questions! When i go to buy pants, I don't expect anyone to ask me crap like "who will be wearing these pants? At what times will you be wearing these pants the most? will you be sharing these pants? Do you have any friends or family members that have pants?" Its my responsibility to find pants that fit me and it is their responsibility to pick a plan and phone that they would like. Whatever happened to doing research? Isn't that a basic principle of logic? To investigate something before you sign a two year contract on it? I mean, if the customer has questions or needs help choosing a plan, I'm happy to help them out, but I shouldn't be expected to automatically research their entire way of living to find a "plan that fits ...
(continues)
phonedrone

Nov 16, 2004, 5:46 PM
They probably just realize that people are idiots in general who need to be spoon fed until they die of gluttony. I'm sure there are reasonably intelligent wireless customers, in fact I've dealt with a few of them, but for the most part people have no idea what they want.
The Handsome

Nov 16, 2004, 5:57 PM
I think most people are smart enough to know what they want. And yes there are those that have no idea what a rate plan is, and i have no problem explaining it to them. My complaint is that it is required of me to ask absolutely everyone that calls a bunch of nosey questions, regardless of if they asked for my help or not. This leads to customers getting pissed at me for prying into their personal lives when they call just to add a feature or cancel a service or something else specific that really shouldn't take that long.
phonedrone

Nov 16, 2004, 6:49 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean, I was docked because I fail to ask customers "Is that going to fit your needs?," even though I'd never done it before or since. Those who grade quality apparently just need to come up with new ways to keep our quality low to keep their own jobs interesting. Hey by the way, I saw your post about the tamborines, do you work in San Antonio? Because all of that crap sounds all too familiar.
foobar

Nov 21, 2004, 5:50 AM
The point is for you to find out what your customer needs/wants, and then convince them that they need/want something more expensive. It's called "upselling". Not terribly ethical, but that's what sales is.
tequilasundae

Nov 21, 2004, 11:53 AM
are you guys kidding...do u want happy customers...i know we do..where i work the calling area is very specific..we ask discovery questions to see where in fact they need to use a phone SO THEY CAN USE IT WHERE THEY NEED IT!! the last thing we want to see is some raving lunatic with his\her bill in hand saying we screwed them... 😳
The Handsome

Nov 22, 2004, 4:18 PM
yes i'm in san antonio, universal city actually, and yes i want happy customers. but the plans, terms, conditions, and prices are laid out real nice and neat in a number of places. and again, if they need help, i'm happy to provide it. more than happy. but if they call in asking me for a specific thing and end up getting screwed, hey, they screwed themselves. and upselling? yeah, done that too. i got a call for an upgrade, ended up convincing her she needed a better plan and put her on one that would cost her thirty dollars a month more then what she was already paying. I failed that call. you know why? because i didn't recommend any "features" like insurance or text messaging. i usually do but i figured that'd be pushing it too far and i th...
(continues)
sammy2

Nov 22, 2004, 4:35 PM
Try "listening" to your customers and helping them to consider options that really might meet their "needs". Do not worry about your compensation, upselling or anything else. These will all work themselves out on their own. You might try exploring how they typically use their phone and what interests them. Follow this with a checklist of options that are tailored to their stated needs.

If someone calls with a specific request you might still consider exploring all their needs unless they are adamant about just placing their order without your input or feedback.

Create value for your customers and you can then be proud of the work you do regardless of who you work for. Your desire to rant will decrease and your professional develop...
(continues)
ShunAsa

Nov 22, 2004, 5:24 PM
did you read that straight out of a pamphlet? you are definitely "the Man" (and not in the good sense)
sammy2

Nov 22, 2004, 5:33 PM
No pamphlets but learned from experience. It works when it is appropriate to leverage. My business is resolving conflicts and so I am accutely sensitive to assuring the right decision makers are in the loop with the appropriate information.

Your job is to assure that you are not talking nonesense and wasting their time.

The telephone number was not available on the verizon website but rather through the SEC filings and internet searches.
ShunAsa

Nov 22, 2004, 5:41 PM
WOW...we are blinded by your intelligence Oh great-and-powerful referee
sammy2

Nov 22, 2004, 6:40 PM
I glad you enjoy your job
ShunAsa

Nov 22, 2004, 6:48 PM
i didn't say that..... 😁
The Handsome

Nov 23, 2004, 2:28 PM
Thanks Sammy! that little pep talk is all i needed! now I'm ready to help people as much as i can regardless of if they want it! Hooray for Cingular! we really are raising the bar!

no... not really.... not really at all...

sorry to say it sammy but, as much as i appreciate the advice, your a tool for the system. a tool sammy. a tool.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.