Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 46 replies

Look at what Sprint has resorted to people. Sprint employees, any comment?

cyberpsionic

Mar 1, 2007, 2:39 PM
This was taken from a web site called The Consumerist: Shoppers Bite Back

http://consumerist.com/ »

http://consumerist.com/consumer/sprint/sprint-will-c » ...

Here's the full article for those who are firewalled at work:

Sprint Will Cancel Service For CDMA Customers Who Roamed 50%+

Sprint will cancel the accounts of CDMA customers who "excessively" use roaming, starting March 15, 2007, according to a company document provided by an internal Sprint source.

Starting February 26, 2007, CDMA customers who roamed more than 50% during either November and December, or December and January (we're not quite sure which, sorry!) will receive a mailed notice that their service will be canceled.

Graciously, Sprint won't charge these cust...
(continues)
raycarroll70

Mar 1, 2007, 2:41 PM
Please contact our Sprint Legal Department if you would like any offical statements regarding this article. As for my professional as well as personal comment, no comment.
3g-g-g-unit

Mar 1, 2007, 3:01 PM
Why would they keep customers that represent a liability and not an asset?

Why would you keep a customer for $59.99/mo. that costs the company $200/mo. in roaming partner fees?

What percentage of customers do you think this actually affects?

You guy's get waaaayyy to excited over every tidbit of Sprint news and info. 😳
krickt

Mar 1, 2007, 3:41 PM
Almost every carrier has this policy, Sprint has just never enforced it before now.
sweetsoprano

Mar 1, 2007, 3:46 PM
I don't know of a carrier that doesn't have a policy like this one in place... 🙄
krickt

Mar 1, 2007, 4:10 PM
Somebody told me that Verizon doesn't. That's the only flyer I don't have in the store, so it's hard for me to verify.
oudidntkn0w

Mar 2, 2007, 8:01 PM
I dont think they do, but I wish they did. There is an alltel area that I get alot of customers that live in that always come in complaining about dropped calls and etc.
krickt

Mar 3, 2007, 10:38 AM
Yes, that happens here, we're mostly Alltel and USCC, and we share with Verizon, but our area is getting overloaded, so the Verizon phones are low priority and get dropped a lot.
TrappedAtWork

Jun 23, 2007, 10:14 AM
Verizon doesn't have a policy like that. But we aren't supposed to activate them if they live or primarily use there phone outside of our licensed area.
just_asking

Jun 23, 2007, 7:29 PM
You might want to check your brochures. The last time I looked, Very small print, verizon can cancel if roaming more than 50% for more than 2 months in a row.
Lapdog

Jun 23, 2007, 8:19 PM
My daughter attends college in an Alltel network area 9 month a year...

All her calls and all her texts are in roaming from the day she goes to school in the fall thru when she comes home in the spring...

They haven't threatened to cancel my service.
just_asking

Jun 23, 2007, 8:21 PM
Are you on a family plan? Total minutes used in the plan might be more than 50% than of the roaming minutes.
BigShowJB

Jun 23, 2007, 8:50 PM
just to be curious, what school does verizon not cover? because I'm going to call that guy in the new VZW commercial and tell him to go there
Nikoletta

Mar 1, 2007, 5:06 PM
I'm not in care so I don't know for sure but the last I heard our policy was 90% or more over a 3 month period and that's not very aggressively enforced, especially for our Sidekick customers.
Ask The Shack

Jun 22, 2007, 9:06 AM
raycarroll70 said:
Please contact our Sprint Legal Department if you would like any offical statements regarding this article. As for my professional as well as personal comment, no comment.

Once again, raycarroll proves to be Sprints' b!tch. No one asked you for your "no comment" comment.

Once again, waste bandwidth with a useless post.
socallocal

Mar 1, 2007, 2:59 PM
They are not the only compnay to do this to their customers. Depending on their roaming agreement it can cost the company thousands upon thousands of dollars for a customer to be roaming more than %50 of the time. It may be a pain for the customer, but it makes better financial sense.
supermep

Mar 1, 2007, 3:06 PM
Cingular does this as well. Apparently its too expensive to allow people to roam more than 50% of the time.
zoso135

Mar 1, 2007, 3:49 PM
Yea Cingular has that 50%+ your booted rule too. But there are ways to get around that.
raycarroll70

Mar 1, 2007, 4:44 PM
😲
chainsaw

Mar 1, 2007, 8:24 PM
Cingular does the same thing. And the funny thing is that people disregard the letter when they receive it and when their service is cancelled they get uber pissed. Sucks for them!
Crapbag

Mar 2, 2007, 9:18 PM
Sure but Cingulars' coverage is less reliant on partnerships.
Crapbag

Mar 2, 2007, 9:22 PM
So just to clarify the impact of the decision. Looking at a sprint coverage map which suggests 80%+ roaming coverage, if a customer were to use their phone 50% of the time in 80%+ of Sprints claimed most powerfull network they would be automatically terminated?
cellb1tch

Jun 21, 2007, 1:24 PM
No ETFs for any company and they have to give you notice. It's not just Sprint.
DJ Parkay

Jun 22, 2007, 8:30 PM
The FCC cant regulate financial matters.
BigShowJB

Jun 23, 2007, 10:26 AM
to the FCC it's not about regulating financial matters. It's about protecting smaller companies and their customers from Big companies like sprint/nextel, VZW, T-Ho, and ATT from racking up roaming charges against customers and small carriers using their towers and the fees the little companies are forced to pass down to their customers. If too many customers can't afford the fees, they don't pay the bill at all and the carrier goes under, because they cant pay the roaming access.
DJ Parkay

Jun 23, 2007, 12:03 PM
Right but regulatingfees is out of the FCCs jurisdiction. Any kind of regulation like that would be under the FTC.
colione112

Jun 23, 2007, 4:42 PM
A company cancelling customers who roam 50%+ has nothing to do with the FCC. They have no say on limits set by the companies.

They can (maybe) require cancellation fees be waived if a company cancels your contract. I would think the companies would waive it to save having to fight it in court (they would lose) because they didn't live up to their end of the contract.
cellb1tch

Jun 28, 2007, 1:09 PM
Check out regulations on TV and radio. THE FCC AND PRETTY MUCH REGULATE WHATEVER THEY WANT. Look at taxes on cell phones.
colione112

Jun 28, 2007, 7:26 PM
Taxes are totally different than someone being cancelled because they roam 50% of the time on another network.

Next thing you'll say is that the FCC requires the minimum plan be 39.99....
bobby botronic

Jun 22, 2007, 9:20 AM
its fiscally the right thing to do

it keeps sprint from bleeding revenue

and they all do it
chocolateman85006

Jun 22, 2007, 4:30 PM
Ain't that a bitch!
DJ Parkay

Jun 22, 2007, 8:32 PM
Is this surprising to anone who has dealt with spit/lastel? Anyone who has knows they are the bottomfeeders of the wireless industry, and quite frankly they just suck ass.
WhoDey

Jun 23, 2007, 12:38 AM
Let a thread like this die!
BigShowJB

Jun 23, 2007, 10:29 AM
IT'S ALIIIIVEE!!!!!!! IT'S ALIIIIIIIIIIIVVVVVE!!!!!!!! LIVE YOU BIG BEAUTIFUL BEAST!!! RISE AND WALK AGAIN!!!

sorry i was channeling Gene wilder from Young Frankenstein. It was on last night. Love that movie!
blizone

Jun 23, 2007, 10:30 AM
YeahI like that movie too....favorite part is he makes the beast sing along to his version of "The Ritz"... 🤣 Classic... 😎
BigShowJB

Jun 23, 2007, 10:40 AM
puhinnohhhhhnarriiiiissss!!!!
blizone

Jun 23, 2007, 10:43 AM
🤣 🤣 🤣

When you're slow nobody knows you got to go but you have no wits....
iRawesome

Jun 23, 2007, 11:38 AM
I ain't got no boooody, got no booooody cuz no boooody cares for me

Igor!

Froderick!
3gee

Jun 23, 2007, 12:01 PM
Roll roll roll in zeee hay 🤣
DJ Parkay

Jun 23, 2007, 12:02 PM
eye-gore
iRawesome

Jun 23, 2007, 12:04 PM
Sounds tasty...
DJ Parkay

Jun 23, 2007, 4:56 PM
frank-un-steen not frank-en-stein
BigShowJB

Jun 23, 2007, 8:52 PM
Good night frau blucher
blackandyellow

Jun 23, 2007, 9:21 PM
Rich or Eric just needs to close this thread people.
Gemini

Jun 23, 2007, 9:57 PM
Why it doesn't violate and of the TOU that you hold so dear. (and I think do dirty things with.)
Guy Montag

Jun 23, 2007, 9:58 PM
Lol, I think you replied to the wrong post. 😉
Gemini

Jun 23, 2007, 10:22 PM
grr. yeah I did.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.