Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 16 replies

iDEN Vs. GSM Vs. CDMA

Retard Mel

Oct 25, 2004, 8:25 AM
hi I have a writeing assignment that I need to do for a final exam in college and I have chose the topic on cell phones...mainly the technology that drives them I have done alot of searching on all 3 of the major technology's and I have found info but all technical and none i could use (because it only relates to THAT technology) could anyone provide me with some links that i could see WHY one technology is the best and how they compare to each other? thanks in advance 🙂
sunvzw

Oct 25, 2004, 12:50 PM
ther is only 4 things you need to know tdma sucks a$$ and gsm suck a$$ even worse pcs should not even be in cell phone vocabulary. and cdma is not magic but its the best choice. have a nice day.
coldsteel

Oct 25, 2004, 1:47 PM
🤣 🙄
CainMarko

Oct 25, 2004, 8:24 PM
that's funny.... PCS is not even a technology, it's a bandwidth. Most notibly used by Sprint PCS. tmobile uses it too, but there aren't that many problems with GSM 1900. ALL 1900 spectrum technology is technically "PCS".
So what exactly are you saying? cdma is "best" but not "PCS"? So customers should use Verizon's CDMA but only in the non-pcs bandwidth??? I think your expert opinion was just thrown out...
uNt0uChAbLe

Oct 25, 2004, 1:33 PM
Go here...

https://www.phonescoop.com/carriers/forum.php?fm=m&f ... »

Can't help you out with the TDMA/iDen though

... 😳
sunvzw

Oct 25, 2004, 2:07 PM
its just a litle morning sarcasim 😁
Retard Mel

Oct 25, 2004, 3:07 PM
that already explains what I already know another thing sort of confuses me is that GSM is a mix of TDMA (Time Devision Multipul Access) and FDMA (Frequency Devision Multipul Access) to me that seems like CDMA to me could someone clarify to me what that means? also i dont necessarly need TDMA in this because from what I understand iDEN has more incommen with GSM then TDMA another thing is this with CDMA you can have TriMode phones (AMPS plus CDMA with 1xRTT) but with GSM i havnt seen anything like this (I.E. TDMA with GSM) any reason? also another thing I understand is that GSM uses 2 difrent networks GSM for voice and G3 for data is this true? these might seem like n00b questions but i wanna do my paper right 😁
sunvzw

Oct 25, 2004, 3:51 PM
sorry to be a smart a$$ this morning but gsm is a better version of tdma. gsm from what i understand came from europe by voicestream...aka t- mobile ... but is one of the worst companies here in the usa. they built gsm because tdma will not hold data..re video messages, picture messages, pretty much anything to do with data in general.. right now cdma has the best coverage and the best data speeds 300 to 500 kbps where you can use on the toliet if you want. gsm like t mobile cingular and at&t uses hot spots you can only use data where there is hot sport locations. re coffee shops, air ports. cdma dose not restrict you. the usa is your modem. but ther are advanges to gsm like you are able to travel with it with cdma you are stuck in the usa. ...
(continues)
jobrien02

Oct 25, 2004, 5:46 PM
I like CDMA best, I don't travel a lot, but I have a huge road trip planned next summer for me and a bunch of my friends. Other than Verizon- bad experiences with their phones and reps in Minneapolis, MN- who has the best coverage nationwide if I am going to be traveling by car? So far I like Sprint. Unless a Verizon rep can show me you can be polite. . . instead of ignoring me because I don't look like I'm 20. (BTW T-Mobile benefited from that one, and I hate it).
CainMarko

Oct 25, 2004, 8:48 PM
you are totally WRONG about using data in HOTSPOTS. These HOTSPOTS you are talking about offers speeds GREATER than CDMA data. You CAN use EDGE data ANYWHERE it is available. Cingular's "gsm" offers more data coverage than ANY other carrier and EDGE offers similar data speeds to CDMA's 3G technology. I use it everyday with my laptop. CDMA has already released it's 3G technology and will be surpassed in data AND voice capabilities when UMTS is launched nationally. And that's just the FIRST version of 3G for GSM. When highspeed packet data technology hits, it's officially OVER for the competition.
Mr Mojo Risin

Nov 3, 2004, 2:43 PM
Well if that is true. Then why has both Cingulair and AT&T started lanching test markets for CDMA, and are planning to launch more markets later this year?
sunvzw

Oct 25, 2004, 3:57 PM
sorry the reason you wont see tri mode phones on gsm is because gsm only picks up gsm..tri mode is a combo of pcs analog, and digital. gsm has tri band phones that means when you travel you will pick up the next carrier signal like if you are in europe you will pick up voice stream.
CainMarko

Oct 25, 2004, 8:50 PM
Well, you must be forgetting about GAIT phones which pick up on GSM, TDMA AND ANALOG. nawww you're not forgetting are you?
CainMarko

Oct 25, 2004, 8:38 PM
sounds like you have a VZW rep trying to explain other technologies...

GSM uses the TDMA network as it's CORE. TDMA splits the channel into time slots. The FDMA overlay further splits the channel by frequency, allowing more capacity and reliability. GSM also offers less digital voice distortion than any other technology(ie better voice quality). CDMA is a single channel split into CODES. It offers more "reliablity"(i say it in quotes because only VZW says it's more reliable) at a cost of everything else.
iDEN uses TDMA technology and even uses a few GSM ideas, but they aren't even close.
GSM does use a separate network for it's data features. GPRS and EDGE. It is not "3G" at this point yet tho it offers comparable data speeds to curre...
(continues)
sunvzw

Oct 25, 2004, 8:51 PM
i am a vzw rep..but i sold at&t for 3 years i have had more compliants about gsm then i have ever had with verzion. i personally use gsm at&T i cant tell you how horrible my phone is compared to verizon. plus when it comes down to data speeds buddy no one can sur pass broadband speeds..and when gsm does catch up we will have something even better. we honestly are ahead of the competition. 😁 plus cdma has been around since world war 2. tdma has only been around since 1992.. and you guys are already getting rid of it...gsm hah.
CainMarko

Oct 25, 2004, 9:17 PM
CDMA wasn't even thought of until 1949, so much for WWII. It was further developed in the 70's by the military and we have things like GPS and cordless phones because of it. The first CDMA NETWORK went live in 1995 and lasted until cdma2000 came out in 1999. so that makes the first cdma technology one of the shortest lived technologies EVER. But GSM has been used in live networks since 1992 and the GSM technology is STILL getting more customers than CDMA. Getting rid of it? You must be smoking crack. GSM MIGHT be gone in 10 years, but it's already the longest lasting and most dominant technology used in wireless history. CDMA would have a better chance of stamping out AIR. As far as your "broadband" 🙄 buddy, that's not "broadband". 300...
(continues)
Retard Mel

Nov 9, 2004, 9:50 AM
hey guys quite honestly I could care less about data speeds...well atleast now I'm not looking to go into that aspect just yet...Let me ask you guys, what was the system that was used pre AMPS by AT&T before 1975 that is cited here http://www.arcx.com/sites/Technical%20Compari son.htm where its just called "the system before AMPS" also the way it was discribed AMPS seems like CDMA could anyone clarifty the two for me? you guys are a big help and I thank you 🙂 please do me a favor tho keep the discusions about data speeds on hold for abit ok? anyway I appreciate your help and I hope to hear from you guys soon

P.S. do you know of a website that shows spectrum ranges for various providers (I.E. suffolk county P.D. uses 400 MHz on their [ince...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.