Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 36 replies

Insurance Nightmare, any ideas?

Mobile-El

Aug 27, 2004, 11:36 AM
Afternoon all. I've got a wierd one here. Young lady comes into my ATTWS store this am. says she has the complete coverage by lockline, this consists of insurance plus warranty exchage. She called them and said the display went out. They process it through warranty exchange, avoiding the $35.00 insurance deductible.
So far so good, She uses the included envelope to send back the old one. She gets the phone back from then, rejected by warranty echange as it is two pieces. When she called up, she failed to mention, it broke in several pieces, thus casues the display to fail. Had she told them the whole story, she would have paid $35.00 and had the replacement. Now, because it was done through warranty they are billing her account $...
(continues)
SammyJankis

Aug 27, 2004, 2:32 PM
i would say that she's stuck. reason being that she should have told the truth to begin with. because of giving false info she has to be responsible for the full charge of the phone. for me it's a judgement call and even if i was the original salesperson i would not help her. i hate it when the customer's lie to get ahead like we won't find out about it.
Mobile-El

Aug 27, 2004, 2:53 PM
I am with ya Sammy. I think she forgot about the damage when she called. I gave her the courtesy of calling for her. But no dice. Had she gone to insurance none of this would have happened.
sammy2

Aug 27, 2004, 3:06 PM
Base on only the information presented it is unclear as to wherther she lied or provide the information that she beleived was relevant. She may or may not have been trying to avoid the $35 charge. I suspect there are many who would not understand the differneces of the warranty vs. damage insurance. Most fokls I encounter are not very sophisticated inthese matters.

In any case Lock/line should not charge her the $119 because their financial position would have been to charge he rthe $35 and replace or fix the phone if provided all the relevant information they deemed necessary.

I beleive she has a case in small claims court or actually I would first recommend the BBB and the insurance commissioner in her State to resolve the matter...
(continues)
JDigital

Aug 27, 2004, 5:11 PM
I think the point is that it never went to Lock/Line because it was processed as a warranty replacement. That goes to the manufacturer or another authorized technician. When it became obvious that it was not a warranteed malfunction, they will not fix it for free.
sammy2

Aug 27, 2004, 5:28 PM
If the phone never went to Lock /Line and was processed through a warranty / service center than they had a duty to inform the customer prior to any work being done what the cost would be and to get approval unless she preauthorized any and all work to be performed and assured all cost were to be covered by her.
Mobile-El

Aug 28, 2004, 11:47 AM
It was not repaired, It was exchanged. I got a little more info, she failed to mention the damage and thought "it wouldn't matter" Should have been insurance, not warranty exchange, Customer fessed up tried to save the $35 deductible. Now it cost her $119, not complaint warranty exchange, due to extreme physical abuse.
BowWowWow

Aug 28, 2004, 11:50 AM
Then it's her own stupid fault. Let that be a lesson to her, don't f**k with the powers-that-be in the cellular world! 😈

Ah, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
sammy2

Aug 28, 2004, 12:09 PM
At this point she will not be able to give back the exchanged phone since she does not have the original to provide for the insurance.

Expensive lesson on paying attention to details. Sometimes people just act before thinking of the options and consequences.

For those of you who have children a great resource to teach them thinking skills is "Raising a Thinking Child" also her Pre-teenbook by Myrna Shure.

These experiences can be avoided!
geminiwireless.com

Aug 28, 2004, 12:37 PM
What is stopping the customer from saying she lost the phone they gave her and filing a insurance claim and getting another phone for $35 and then selling it on ebay to recoup the $119 they charged her. It is dishonest but it doesn't sound honesty is something she regards highly.
BowWowWow

Aug 28, 2004, 12:38 PM
I think her credibility is pretty much shot by now.
Dyingunman

Aug 28, 2004, 12:44 PM
well i think some insurance companies reqire you to file a police report....

If so then THAT'S whats stopping her 🙂
geminiwireless.com

Aug 28, 2004, 12:49 PM
Why would you have a police report if she said she lost it, lost not stolen.
Dyingunman

Aug 28, 2004, 12:52 PM
even still, I think direct protect from NEXTEL here on the East Coast requires a police report reguardless, lost or stolen,

.....those hardasses ☚ī¸
geminiwireless.com

Aug 28, 2004, 1:06 PM
really here in ohio Direct Protect just needs a good story. Like I was out huntin with my buddy bif and it must of fell off my belt after I shot that doe. I went back and I couldn't find it anywhere.
sammy2

Aug 28, 2004, 1:10 PM
She could not file a police report on lost property. That would be filing a false police report (therefore the insurance firm would have no legal right to require it). Maybe I should file a police report when I misplace my dental floss.
Dyingunman

Aug 28, 2004, 1:16 PM
😕
BowWowWow

Aug 28, 2004, 1:34 PM
Asurion makes you do a police report on lost OR stolen handsets. That way if the handset just 'happens' to show up when your bestest buddy goes to have it activated as prepaid, they can get you for insurance fraud, which is a felony.
Dyingunman

Aug 28, 2004, 1:57 PM
exactly! 🙂

*throws phone at door real hard
mright123

Sep 3, 2004, 9:47 AM
Well in lock\line's policy it does state in: Duties in the Event of a Loss that you MAY be required to get a Police Report.
ShunAsa

Oct 14, 2004, 11:18 AM
I beg to differ, we get about 100/200 PR a day for lost or unrecoverable phones
cellphone gurl

Aug 28, 2004, 9:29 PM
AT&T doesn't require a police report I don't think
BowWowWow

Aug 30, 2004, 10:03 AM
Do they self-insure? Or they go through a different 3rd party, maybe. There are 3 or 4 companies out there, but we never hear about them because most of the Big 6 only deal with Asurion or Lock/line.
neworleansg504

Aug 30, 2004, 5:21 PM
I don't know... but T-mobile is having insurance problems right now. If you activate a new phone (ACTIVATION NOT UPGRADE) you have 7 days to add assurion insurance or you can NEVER get INSURANCE!! I hate telling customers that...
adlman

Aug 30, 2004, 8:07 PM
NEVER? How does that work? Kind of hard to get any post-sale feature sales when they come back..
ShunAsa

Oct 19, 2004, 8:48 AM
MetroPCS is like that too
cellphone gurl

Aug 28, 2004, 9:28 PM
the 119.00 is probably regular retail price who would want to buy it for that plus 35.00
ShunAsa

Oct 14, 2004, 11:16 AM
We require legal verification on Lost, stolen or unrecoverable phones (i.e. police report, notarized Proof of Loss form)
cellphone gurl

Aug 28, 2004, 9:23 PM
I thought the lasy got the phone back? maybe not
AGENT DEBIT

Oct 14, 2004, 9:36 PM
Lockline didn't charge her the 119.00 ,att warranty exchange did, there is no case as they are the verbatim at the warranty department as to the phys. or liq dam and that she'd be liable, then she should have told them,cuz they would have transferred her tocare to go over options,whether it be upgradeor insurance, the customer IS liable.
kysuz

Aug 27, 2004, 6:40 PM
From the way it has been described, it sounds like she could call lock\line and report the breakage to her phone. Because this description of loss was not previously given, they would send her a phone for the $35. As far as the credit for the damaged phone that was returned to the customer, ask them how it works. I am sure that this isn't the first time something like this has happened.
tequilasundae

Aug 27, 2004, 7:05 PM
methinks shes f*cked
cellphone gurl

Aug 27, 2004, 8:00 PM
I work AWS customer care. If I got the call I wouldn't credit her. When warranty processed the exchange they would have asked if there was any physical damage done to the phone. It's her own fault for lying. depending how mad she was and how much money she made the company I would consider crediting her up to what she was eligible for. most people are about 25.00 give or take a bit.
dsmith5237

Oct 10, 2004, 9:26 PM
My previous job was taking claims for a large trucking company. My current job is in a Sprint Corporate store. I have a unique perspective of seeing the insurance and carrier side of things, so here is my opinion for whatever it's worth. Since she never actually filed an insurance claim(since she was trying for warranty), that is not even an issue here, it's a warranty nightmare, not an insurance nightmare. She filed for whatever she could get through warranty and what she got was another phone at full(or used) price. This would be standard for damage not covered by warranty and a replacement not sought trough insurance. At best, she would have to return the phone for a refund of the charge. If this customer was at my desk, she would ...
(continues)
greyrat

Oct 11, 2004, 8:54 AM
This is a classic case of a customer 1) lying and 2) being cheap and getting burned as a result. Iwork in care and there is no way I would issue a credit in this case.
ShunAsa

Oct 14, 2004, 11:06 AM
HI, i'm with the "other" insurance company and we wld take it even if it was in pieces, however, in that case, maybe the customer didn't fully understand the exchange or the condition the phn had to b in, or maybe she was deceptive on purpose, either way, it is her responsibility to understand her insurance terms, not yours, let her eat it
AGENT DEBIT

Oct 14, 2004, 9:31 PM
I'm sorry in this case the customer is out of luck, she when they process the warranty exchange they advise her that if the defect is due to physical or liquid damage she is chargedback for the replacement cost for that phone, lockline won't touch it,and worse is that Warranty can't refund since the customer IS told upfront about that replaceent fee prior to filling the warranty request

Sorry!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.