Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 12 replies

Water damage blues

Mobile-El

Oct 13, 2004, 11:08 AM
What is going on lately? I have had so many people coming lately with water damaged phones. Some of them we can savage, open up, hit it with the compressed air, brush the green corosion off of the contacts with a metal brush, and send them on their way, for a small fee of course. The other day, a guy comes in with a Nokia 3200 and tell me it stopped working. No problem, we explain phone exchange and Nokia's Warranty as options. I tell him, let me just check a few things, maybe we can fix it here. I open it up, and it start dripping. Like, they dont think we will find it. People are so uptight about telling us what happened. So quick to blame the Carrier when they ran up a $300 roaming bill while doing shots of tequila on their last t...
(continues)
dsmith5237

Oct 14, 2004, 12:00 AM
Lots of customers come see me and pretend to not know about how their phone was water damaged. My most memorable was when I opened up a phone and I saw the moisture and advised the customer. Customer tried to deny it, but I said, "Ma'am it's dripping on my hand." Of course there was no insurance on the account.
BowWowWow

Oct 14, 2004, 9:48 AM
I almost always get the toilet phones. They drive me nutso. I DEFINITELY do not want to touch them in that case.
shadedpain4

Oct 14, 2004, 9:59 AM
you should fix them and resell them. "toilet phone specials".
WILLPHASE

Apr 4, 2006, 6:35 PM
Dude...i hate the people that drop their phone in the toilet and dont tell you till after you check it like its ok.....like we are obligated to touch their phone like its our fault that their retards!!
Mobile-El

Oct 14, 2004, 12:43 PM
That reminds me of this one. We have woman who is a local realtor, see her around town all the time. She is on 4th phone in 8 months. All toilet damage. She just fried or soaked her V.600 last week, she only bought it 6 weeks ago. She had to buy a V.505. The funny thing is she wont take insurance. She gets money back from an Amex gold card that gives her some sort of warranty for items purchased on that card. Crazy stuff.
blk2kxtreme

Apr 4, 2006, 8:45 PM
Im happy that I am not the only one who seems to get those. I think in the past month I have had about 5 dropped phones into the toilet. I finally got smart and asked them how it got damaged. But for the ones who dont say anything untill after I am holding it.....Shame on them. It really is gross when you think about it.
blusdrmr

Apr 5, 2006, 10:35 AM
I used to run an AT&T store across from North Carolina State University and the most common thing was Freshman guys washing thier phones in thier pants pockets. When they would come in and tell me they washed thier phone, I would say "Freshman, aren't ya?" They were always amazed that I knew that. 😁
mallinfobooth

Apr 5, 2006, 11:08 AM
I've had the phone dropped in coffee, washer, pool, hot tub, but i have to say the best one i saw was water damage via Motor Oil!
This guy had a fru phone and while waiting for the new one wanted me to activate his old phone, that's fine.
I could hardly get the battery off to get the ESN and this strange strange smell. Finanlly I pry it off and say, well this phone has water damage, but that's not water.
"oh i know, it's motor oil"
blusdrmr

Apr 5, 2006, 11:19 AM
Now, that's a new one! 🤣
mallinfobooth

Apr 5, 2006, 11:33 AM
Yeah, I don't know where these guys come from.
digitaldog

Apr 5, 2006, 11:40 AM
I got one you will not believe. Had a guy bring in his phone that had been dropped into concrete and had a hardened concrete shell around it. He wanted US to chip it off so that if the phone was damaged while removing the concrete shell around it, it would be OUR fault! People amaze me.
Whitehorse

Apr 6, 2006, 1:58 PM
I hear around 15 water damage "how'd that happen???" stories a day. The Red LDI, it does not lie!!!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.