Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 24 replies

frustration is setting in....

2Rails

Sep 5, 2004, 1:41 PM
do you guys ever get asked things like "why didn't my phone work when i was in portland two weeks ago?" as they stand in your store (which is notably not anywhere near portland). what's the best way you've come up with for these poor souls? i know it's not their fault that they don't understand the technology, but i've already had three different people ask me questions like that today... and i still have 3 more hours to go...
schnozejt

Sep 5, 2004, 3:56 PM
Tell the customer that you will be traveling with them wherever they go (at their expense) to make sure the phone works on every square the inch of the earth. Also, tell them that if the phone doesn't work on every square inch then you will feel like a useless piece of sh!t, so much in fact they can get free cell phones whenevr they want and their price plan will only cost $10/month---after you do owe them the world.

The other day I called my local radio station and yelled at them because when I drove through a tunnel the music cut off, what's up w/ that?
2Rails

Sep 5, 2004, 4:04 PM
schnozejt said:
Tell the customer that you will be traveling with them wherever they go (at their expense) to make sure the phone works on every square the inch of the earth. Also, tell them that if the phone doesn't work on every square inch then you will feel like a useless piece of sh!t, so much in fact they can get free cell phones whenevr they want and their price plan will only cost $10/month---after you do owe them the world.

The other day I called my local radio station and yelled at them because when I drove through a tunnel the music cut off, what's up w/ that?

wait, are you trying to imply that these phones are not magic, and that people are not entitled to free stuff all the time, and that i...
(continues)
schnozejt

Sep 5, 2004, 4:17 PM
Oh yes definately especially when a customer has been w/ a carrier a long time and spends a lot. "A long time time" is defined by 1 year and "spends a lot" is defined by having a price plan that is $29.99 and always stays below their allotment.
cellphone gurl

Sep 8, 2004, 9:58 PM
I hate those calls. I always know it is going to be a bad call when they say......I've been a customer for a long time
schnozejt

Sep 9, 2004, 3:30 AM
yeah, when the cust says that, the 1st thing I look at is when they started service. Majority of the time it's about 6 months, and then I think oh GOD it's an irrational customer, please help me.
2Rails

Sep 10, 2004, 11:37 AM
buddy of mine got into with a lady that was going over the verizon coverage map so close he almost offered her a magnifying glass to help her out. what sparked the 'debate' she and my friend had was this little spot in florida that there was no coverage, and she was demanding to know why. no matter how many times my friend explained that she was looking at the freaking EVERGLADES, she was unhappy. 😳
BowWowWow

Sep 10, 2004, 12:15 PM
People can be so stupid - I had the same issue with the Louisiana map - one ass-clown business customer of mine was complaining that there was no coverage on one of the marshy little barrier islands way south of New Orleans. I broke out the Cingular TDMA & GSM maps - what do you know, no coverage with them either. This guy hung up a 15-phone deal for two weeks with his asinine complaints about nobody having service out in the middle of nowhere. 😡

The thing is, nobody LIVES within 25 miles of this place, and his company is the ONLY company that drills out there. I think his company (a ChevronTexaco subsidiary) got him a Globalstar phone just to shut him up so we could move the deal forward. I'm glad we closed them, it was a fat commissio...
(continues)
dakz

Sep 13, 2004, 9:55 AM
Instead your friend should have pointed her to the fine print that states those general maps are not an indication of service coverage areas, but is only a representation of coverage due to the innate problems of radio signals and barriers that block those signals and such.....that fine print is in every map I have ever looked at from any carrier.

I just remind people that we are ultimately talking about a radio signal and that like any such frequency there can be things that block it....Like Wal-Mart, I always loose signal in the one down the street from my house, yet inside my house I have 3 bars, and Wal-Mart is closer to the tower than my place. /boggle
tequilasundae

Sep 15, 2004, 3:19 PM
we are an agent location located on the eastern edge of our coverage, meaning the next towns over which are a geographical clusterf#$K , cannot even get our service even though our coverage maps and our carrier website says we do...so when we tell them we have coverage issues in their little podunk towns they freak out..
tyrjohn

Sep 13, 2004, 7:32 PM
Yeah I hate those calls too. And then they say well I just go some where else. 😕 You know what I want to say ? THEN GO 🤣
Acedith

Oct 21, 2004, 8:53 AM
hah, i've found that if you calmly and rationally say "well sir/ma'am, thats your choice to leave cingular, but if you do, you'll be losing all those rollover minutes you have saved up, and look at all the other cingular advantages you will be losing..."

you sorta make it sound like "its your funeral if you switch"

blah.
Being a CSR is fun.
ShunAsa

Oct 21, 2004, 9:55 AM
Well can you think of a reply to "what's the point of having the insurance if I have to pay a deductible"? 😡
justpeachy

Oct 21, 2004, 3:44 PM
Yeah! Ask them what the deductible is on their car insurance. Every type of insurance charges the customer for a deductible! 😉
tyrjohn

Sep 12, 2004, 6:49 PM
Tell them they should switch ears 🤣
SammyJankis

Sep 6, 2004, 10:20 AM
thank you for making me smile on this otherwise dismal day
schnozejt

Sep 6, 2004, 11:11 AM
Your welcome. I like bringing customer's irrational through the light.

Before I was a rep, I was an ATT customer and I only called their cust service twice maybe three times; common sense just goes a long way. If there was any type of Issue I would it THINK it THROUGH; for example, if I experienced dropped calls-maybe 1% of my calls dropped I won't automatically think it's my carrier's fault, call them and yell at them for the crappy service they provide. I just people would think a little, maybe the call dropped on the other end? Maybe cause i'm in a building? Maybe cause I never charge my battery? maybe cause i'm driving through the middle of nowhere?
TMOBLE24

Sep 7, 2004, 11:21 AM
I had Cingular for 6 years before I worked for Cingular and then later T-Mobile. I think I called customer care like 3 times and I never went into one of there stores one time. GOD, I hate people sometime.
SammyJankis

Sep 7, 2004, 2:34 PM
i guess that's why we work in the industry... because we're so rational and actually have sense enough to know that cell phones are not these magic machines that work all the time and that you are actually expected to pay something for the services that we provide.
sammy2

Sep 10, 2004, 2:04 PM
As I have always maintained; customer service and relationships in general are about managing expectations.
fc2462

Sep 11, 2004, 6:19 AM
Or maybe because you have GSM? CDMA is so smoooooooth. 🤣

Sorry I couldn't resist.
phonepimp3376

Sep 11, 2004, 11:02 AM
hey fc... you want smooooth? Google the Ericsson white paper on UMTS deployment and check out THOSE stats. Make sure you take careful note of the HSDPA data speeds.

In short: Global standard, like GSM. 16 call slots as opposed to 10 with CDMA. HSDPA offers top speeds of 14.4 Mbps, while everything else is still in the Kbps days. Coming soon to a national carrier called CINGULAR. Then what?
dakz

Sep 13, 2004, 10:18 AM
PP, why must you keep spouting this crap when you know that ALL the technologies out there that are used by ALL major carriers are in the process of upgrading also? It's like you think that only Cingular is upgradiing while the rest of us are sitting on our hands just waiting for Cingular to be #1. Sorry, but you are only fooling yourself.
dsmith5237

Oct 10, 2004, 9:15 PM
Friday afternoon, 18:33, three minutes after I'm scheduled to leave. I had just finished activating new service for a customer and was tidying up their accounts, noting they had declined insurance and stuff like that when this guy who looked like a ticked off John Popper walks up to my desk. He has this huff and puff look about him that says he's gonna have his say and there isn't a thing I can do about it. He says, "If you knew the first thing about customer service you'd know the first priority is to wait on the customer in line, especially when there's a line to the door." I think we can all agree that the customer is NOT always right, and seeing as how this guy had rudely walked up to my desk, totally ignoring my closed sign, I thoug...
(continues)
ShunAsa

Oct 14, 2004, 11:25 AM
THREE CHEERS FOR YOUR MANAGER, she had your back! 😁

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.