Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 55 replies

Do ya'll cut on phones here

phoneyphonephone

Apr 2, 2007, 8:38 PM
This was the very short convo between me and very... well... half retarded monkey.

HRM: Do ya'll cut on phones here?

Me: ๐Ÿคจ What?

HRM: (louder, as if I can't hear) DO YA'LL CUT ON PHONES HERE!?

Me: ๐Ÿคจ ๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿคจ ๐Ÿ‘€

HRM: (There needs to be a retarded looking face)

Me: Uhh... no.

Seriously.
WTF Does "cut on" mean!?!
vzwgal21

Apr 2, 2007, 8:44 PM
I hate when people say "it cuts off". so I have to ask to clarify "Does the phone power off or just drop the call?" Then they look at me like I'm ignorant ๐Ÿ˜ณ
phoneyphonephone

Apr 2, 2007, 8:46 PM
Where did the retards even get the words "cut on" and "cut off" from?
vzwgal21

Apr 3, 2007, 9:09 AM
As far as I can tell, it's a Southern thing...."I have to pay my bill or they'll cut my phone/cable/electricity off" "Cut the lights off"
chocolateman85006

Apr 3, 2007, 3:38 PM
That's southern talk, I reckon!
joepatterson

Apr 4, 2007, 9:35 AM
I get it up here in Michigan all the time
BigShowJB

May 31, 2007, 6:44 PM
it's not just southern ... i used to hear it all the time when i lived in Hazel park(hazeltucky), MI. mostly from ghetto @$$ people of not so varying family trees and low low low educations
Foamy

Jun 1, 2007, 9:35 AM
I've got a few friends in Hazel Park. You're right, the family tree's around there don't fork too much. ๐Ÿคฃ
BigShowJB

Jun 1, 2007, 10:47 AM
where are you from? I grew up in Romeo and went to school in Warren
Foamy

Jun 1, 2007, 11:08 AM
Grew up in Warren. Now in Grosse Pointe.
BigShowJB

Jun 1, 2007, 11:52 AM
i went to DeLa Salle, have a lot of friends that grew up in the Pointe-Shores area
Nikoletta

Apr 3, 2007, 4:43 PM
"Cut off." I have never had a hard time with, it's a relatively accepted phrase... "Cut on." is just the lazy extension of that. "Cut off." Makes some sense since if you can physically cut something off (snippy snip.)
BigShowJB

May 31, 2007, 6:46 PM
lets not talk about the snippysnip... i had that done and it wasn't an experience i want to repeat ๐Ÿ˜ณ ๐Ÿ˜ข
Hombre07

Apr 3, 2007, 8:58 AM
The word 'power' confuses the hell out of them. Power on, power off, power cycle especially. I've updated the account sir so if you just power cycle your phone...what the hell is that? Turn it off and back on...

Even better, I'm not getting any signal. When's the last time you turned off your phone? You guys did it when I activated it two years ago. Power cycle it, every day, it will help. Well how do I do that? Our store has been talking about having like a one or two hour session on Saturdays for Cell Phones 101, code named ignorance.
timslo

Apr 3, 2007, 12:05 PM
๐Ÿคฃ I thought of having a tutorial class like that once. The thing is that I go over the basic functions of the phone with my customers and many still called me about how to power the phone off, check voicemail, and other small type stuff.
shellis129

Apr 28, 2007, 12:42 PM
When people are confused about POWER CYCLE, I can understand. That's a term that is really only used in the cell industry and people don't have to power cycle most other electronics that they have.

I've always turned my phone off and then on but never been told to "power cycle" it until I worked at T-mobile.

So, I never had a problem when people were like "Huh?" when I told them to "power cycle" it. In fact, when talking to customers, I would usually tell them to "go ahead and turn your phone off and then right back on".
frankiewawa

Apr 3, 2007, 8:39 AM
I think somebody made a post very simliar to this a month or more ago. About "cutting on" a phone. Not sure that makes any sense... ๐Ÿ˜•
SarahJo

Apr 3, 2007, 9:11 AM
I made a post about this awhile ago. It's one of my biggest pet peeves.
Me: Is your phone powered on right now?
Cust: Huh?...
Me: Is your phone POWERED on or POWERED off?
Cust: What?... ohhhh you mean is it CUT on? Yeah yeah it's cut on.

*explode*
frankiewawa

Apr 3, 2007, 9:51 AM
Haha yeah I think it was your post awhile ago simliar to this... ah man. People.
deliriumfrenzy

Apr 3, 2007, 12:26 PM
Maybe his phone needed a surgical operation?
acthrellis

Apr 3, 2007, 12:27 PM
well now i feel stupid cuz i pretty much grew up in the south and i've always said that.
jenlll

Apr 3, 2007, 12:30 PM
So what in the h*** does it mean. cut on phones.........explain southerner. ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
acthrellis

Apr 3, 2007, 12:33 PM
It's the same thing as power on or turn on or flip on. Kinda like how they say 'buggy' instead of 'cart'. I hate when I hear myself say it cuz i'm originally from california and my family is always making fun of me. especially when i say "ya'll". ugh.

but anyway.

To translate from southern to english you basically just have to find the unnecessary syllables and remove them. for example: Nukeyaler = Nuclear.

god i need to get a life ๐Ÿคฃ

XD
jenlll

Apr 3, 2007, 12:40 PM
thanks for the clarification....i am so not from the south.......you seem to have it down pretty well though! ๐Ÿคฃ
SiestaRandy

Apr 3, 2007, 2:55 PM
Cut on = turn on
Cut off = turn off
Cut = Turn.
I moved from Cali to the South quite a while ago, Y'all.
Cheers.
acthrellis

Apr 4, 2007, 1:31 PM
me too. i'm from mt. shasta
deliriumfrenzy

Apr 3, 2007, 12:43 PM
I'm from Kentucky, and I've only said things like "getting cut off." Until today, I thought getting "cut on" meant with a knife or some other type of sharp thing.

But then again, I'm not a stereotypical Southerner by any means.
craptacularwireless

Apr 3, 2007, 1:36 PM
Buggy, that's just silly. Why buggy? How does it even resemble a buggy? Silly Southerners.
Lapdog

Apr 3, 2007, 2:40 PM
well now I will say I have some relatives that use the term buggy...

I cringe when I hear it tho...
Lapdog

Apr 3, 2007, 1:24 PM
This isn't a "southern" thing...it's a ghetto thing...
ajstrong

Apr 3, 2007, 2:11 PM
too true ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ‘€
EnterTheWu78

Apr 3, 2007, 1:31 PM
I think it either means activate new line of service, or turn it back on from suspension for late payment.

It could also mean simply turn the power on.

Its not just a southern thing. I hear it here in Detroit.
sweetsoprano

Apr 3, 2007, 2:20 PM
EnterTheWu78 said:
Its not just a southern thing. I hear it here in Detroit.

True...my parents were born in the South, have been up here since way before I was born, and they still talk like that sometimes, as does the extended family. I've been known to talk like that myself...
jenlll

Apr 3, 2007, 2:25 PM
i cant think of one time i have ever heard this come out of a custy's mouth. watch....it will happen today.
SiestaRandy

Apr 3, 2007, 2:57 PM
Cut on = turn on
Cut off = turn off
Cut = Turn.
I moved from Cali to the South quite a while ago, Y'all.
Cheers
SarahJo

Apr 3, 2007, 3:12 PM
Not always, sometimes "my phone cut off" means "As I was on the phone having a conversation, the call dropped mid-sentence."

If they would just SAY what it was, it would be so much easier.
chocolateman85006

Apr 3, 2007, 3:37 PM
I reckon you're right.
M15TER P1NK

Apr 5, 2007, 2:44 PM
I would have just responded with...
"yeah we cut on phones here... your phone is so fat you dropped it in the Grand Canyon and it got stuck... Oh SNAP... *Chick Chick* BURN"
tmbold

Apr 5, 2007, 2:47 PM
i get it all the time
acthrellis

Apr 9, 2007, 2:50 PM
LMFAO omigad. you're funny.
M15TER P1NK

Apr 7, 2007, 11:34 AM
Just thought of another one for cutting on phones...

"your phone is so old the keypad is in hiroglyphics... buh-burn"
jenlll

Apr 9, 2007, 12:19 PM
I almost passed out Saturday. I had my first customer tell me he wanted his phones cut on. He was from Arkansas...sorry to stereotype. I have been in the biz for 5 years.
acthrellis

Apr 9, 2007, 2:51 PM
hahahahahaha

now you're all gonna start saying it. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I find that funny. ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
jenlll

Apr 9, 2007, 3:40 PM
i wont ever say such a thing. i just wont be shocked to hear it again.
Yankees

Apr 9, 2007, 3:49 PM
๐Ÿ˜ yo its yo boy b-rabbit...yall got that gangsta phone sonnnnnn
jestcuzzgrl

Apr 10, 2007, 7:53 AM
๐Ÿ‘€ took me a minute
frankiewawa

Apr 25, 2007, 2:45 PM
I just had another one of those customers just now.

"can ya'll cut on my phone here?" lmao. ๐Ÿ˜ข
ralph_on_me

Apr 25, 2007, 2:50 PM
I just had one who asked us to deactivate her SIM. Then she asked for a new SIM for free. We said no. Then she asked for us to reactivate her old SIM card.

She left unhappy.
frankiewawa

Apr 25, 2007, 2:51 PM
Hah. People get pissed when they come in with burnt sim cards.

"I tried to enter a code in too many times and they locked me out."

Yes moron, way to go, now go buy a new sim card.
ralph_on_me

Apr 25, 2007, 2:52 PM
The first thing I ask is, "Did you read your instruction manual?"

If they say yes they're paying for a new SIM. If they say no, I might let it slide.
frankiewawa

Apr 25, 2007, 2:58 PM
Haha yup. Because if they DID actually read the manual ( I doubt most people do ) then the customer would see that if you try to enter a code in too many times, the phone locks you out. Alot of people just play dumb.
frankiewawa

May 31, 2007, 2:47 PM
Just had this type of customer AGAIN.

"Do ya'll cut on phones here?" WTF!?

How about... "Do you guys turn on phones on here?"

Anyone else get these "cut ons" ๐Ÿ™„
BigShowJB

May 31, 2007, 6:56 PM
I know I'm going to get in trouble for this;
but i'm guessing a lot of these custys that ask for phones to be cut on are from poorly educated areas and are more often than not black? It's not trying to be a racist comment, but almost every person that has ever said "cut on" has fit at least one part of that profile.

I apologize in advance if anyone gets offended, it's just what I have seen in the past.
nuckingfuts

May 31, 2007, 6:59 PM
I've seen it too, and I always respond with a NO... then I ask if they want service restored or activated............
BigShowJB

May 31, 2007, 7:20 PM
ok so it's not just me ... good
Athanatoi

May 31, 2007, 7:23 PM

yes ๐Ÿ™‚

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.