Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 16 replies

Just my opinion

jenlll

Mar 26, 2007, 2:32 PM
For those of you who have been in the biz for awhile......you might recall the days of customers having the option of at least a dozen different plain jane phones to choose from....meaning just a phone to make a call...candybar and flip styles. Than somewhere along the way.....the manufacturers started pumping out camera phones and the phone to just make a phone call became fewer and fewer to choose from. I dont even remember a big demand for a camera phone....it is my opinion the maufacturers created the market for their product and carriers assisted in this by offering very few other options. So fast forward to the here and now. Instead of cameras, which is standard now......you MP3's are becoming the latest thing. I am alright with i...
(continues)
alejandro

Mar 26, 2007, 2:47 PM
That's what happens when kids and trend freaks drive the industry.
krickt

Mar 26, 2007, 2:49 PM
I lose renewals everyday because we don't carry a plain jane, non camera bar phone. I don't lose new activations, but I have people in 5 year old phones because they don't want to use anything besides the calling features.
acthrellis

Mar 26, 2007, 3:16 PM
I have the same problem. Most of the people that come in our store are old or poor, so we sell a lot more of the cheap prepaid phones as upgrades and such more than we do the other phones.
jenlll

Mar 26, 2007, 4:52 PM
the thing is.....i think what they are after is to make people more dependent on a cell phone by making it more like a 4 or 5 in one device. The thing is...not everyone is going to subscribe to this. Now, people aged 15-25 are going to be far more inclined to want phones like this and are basically the future of wireless. These are the people that will pay whatever it takes and go feature crazy...these are the people we as rep's make cash off of and the wireless industry craves.
yodude

Mar 27, 2007, 9:58 PM
I'm glad my store still sells two older model Audiovox's. They have color screens, sure, but one doesn't have a camera or BT or anything. Just a phone. might have the ability to download some games or ringers, but I doubt it. And the other one is the same, but has a really low quality camera for those that really want it fir their grandkids. And we get an extra $25 spiff if we sell them 🙂.
deliriumfrenzy

Mar 27, 2007, 2:23 PM
The thing is though... we still have phones that are free that the only extra feature they have is a camera. Sure, if you don't want a phone with a camera, your options are limited, but what's wrong with having a phone with a camera and just not using the camera? It's not like you're getting a large-armed man that will strangle you if you go more than 24 hours without taking a picture. Unless I've been forgetting to offer that service to new customers...
skippyvan

Mar 27, 2007, 2:49 PM
seriously i sell mp3 phones to oldies all the time they dont even know what an mp3 player is so i dont tell them about it.
whenever people say "i just need a phone that makes calls" it really narrows it down for me; THEY ALL DO YOU DILDO now pick one out.
jarcher2828

Mar 27, 2007, 3:34 PM
Yeah, for the elderly sometimes they are insistent on a phone w/out anything except a phone that makes and receives calls. Some of them are just stubborn and afraid that if it has a camera the phone must be too complicated for them to use. We still Have a few for them that are always free and i just let them pick one.

Cingular:
Sony Z300
Nokia 6030

T-Mobile:
Sam T209
Nokia 6030

Verizon:
we actually special order this one for this specific reason and sometimes i leave out the fact that it has BT,
Nokia 2633i

They will eventually all be gone though and everyone will have to get a 3g media phone that can store all your bank account info, email, can gps locate you at any time, record all your calls automatically (for future ref...
(continues)
jenlll

Mar 27, 2007, 6:28 PM
very funny.......but free phones do not exsist where I work. The free phones you listed are pretty much garbage anyways. Free phone days are about to be toast and customers will freak...but they will eventually grow accustom to it considering it is only in the US where contracts are required and people expect crap for free.
Foamy

Mar 27, 2007, 3:50 PM
Well, I have quite a few people around me that CAN'T have a camera because they work for the big 3.
paddyoc

Mar 27, 2007, 5:46 PM
Big 3????? fill me in.....but dad can't have one in court (lawyer).
Foamy

Mar 28, 2007, 1:05 PM
GM, Ford, Chrysler... the big 3 auto makers.

I'm just outta Detroit where they're all at.
Phoneo

Mar 27, 2007, 3:01 PM
Sorry Delerium...we don't have "free" phones anymore. They are "free" after customers add a $9.99 data pakage that they DON'T NEED.

There was an internal Cing/ATT document floating around that listed the ARPU of custies by the phone type and Nokia (6010 and 6030) were the lowest ranking phones so what did they do? They took them out of the line up. Now most of us argue about the best phone but I think we all agree that Nokia's plain bar phones are the best regular "phones" for talking on, and now they are gone? Come on...
further proof that they do NOT care about voice customers and or our service.
jarcher2828

Mar 27, 2007, 3:34 PM
I agree
Enamored777

Mar 27, 2007, 8:49 PM
i second that one... we dont make crap on selling plans... upgrades alone we're lucky to get 5-10 bucks in our pocket. all the money and all the focus is in data, and messanging, PERIOD.
jenlll

Mar 29, 2007, 12:44 PM
I am completely new to working for AT&T and I have no clue about the commissions structure and it seems nearly impossible for anyone else working with me to explain it in a rational format. My first month I was on guarantee and I have to say, I was highly unimpressed with the check. There has to be come catch with it to make money....but I have yet to figure it out, yet. It seems like you can sell a gazillion new lines but if you are not pushing features than you make nothing and with the expectations they have set for you, you are in trouble if you do not attain them...and I am not talking about new lines either. I am just trying to figure it all out.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.