Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 61 replies

Dumb Questions That Customers Ask.

AdamLP1111

Jan 14, 2007, 10:21 AM
I am actually chatting with a customer now who is complaining about having to pay an ETF of $175 per line to cancel his contract, cause I guess I pissed him off. He says he was not informed of the ETF when he established service so he shouldn't have to pay it. I told him it was in the contract that he signed. He said, "You didn't really expect me to read that thing did you?" I told him, "Sir, I would suggest that you read anything that you sign, and the ETF was also explained to you by the store representative when you started your services." Then this customer said something that I believe is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

"I want a copy of my verbal contract with your store representative."

Now, I believe this one takes th...
(continues)
AdamLP1111

Jan 14, 2007, 12:02 PM
I just got another great question. The customer said "Do you offer the Chocolate in a flat black color, because I am goth, and I believe the glossy black color would interfere with my Gothness?"
Whats my name

Jan 14, 2007, 12:21 PM
I have one..........
I work for Disney Mobile which is a MVNO...
C: Who carries you?
M: Disney Mobile
C: No who provides the service?
M: Disney Mobile!
C: Disney has its own phone company?
M: yes, came out in June
C: Are you part of T-mobile?.....

I get this on a daily basis with more the one person...... ☹️
monkeyracer

Jan 14, 2007, 3:20 PM
just tell them that disney owns the company, and if you ask two more questions the fox and the hound will hunt them down and eat them.
Whats my name

Jan 14, 2007, 12:23 PM
If I Buy Disney Mobile from you, Do I get a discount into Disney Land/World?????
. NO
AdamLP1111

Jan 14, 2007, 12:38 PM
Haha. That is hilarious! 🤣
DJ Parkay

Jan 14, 2007, 2:29 PM
Who in their right mind would buy a disney phone anyhow?
alcave21

Jan 14, 2007, 2:31 PM
people who like goofy..... 🤣
Nikoletta

Jan 14, 2007, 2:35 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong... but I believe they're made for kids, have parental controls, and GPS tracking capabilities. The packages have spending controls (or minute controls, I don't remember) and kid friendly interfaces on the phones. Bet they also get a lot of business out of southern California where Disney is a huge name.
Whats my name

Jan 14, 2007, 4:57 PM
We are doing very well here in MA.......
they are family phones not kids lol

but yes they have GPS and min control..... we sell alot to people who want to track their spouses lol....
wu10304

Jan 14, 2007, 5:23 PM
i had a lady come in a couple weeks ago wanting me to turn her tracking off because her husband turned on family locater so he could keep track of her cuz they haven't been getting along lately. she was very mad when i told her i couldn't turn it off because the account is his so he can do whatever he wants with those phones. she was actually pretty hot so i definately think she's cheating on him
kiosk_hell

Jan 14, 2007, 12:46 PM
Two minutes ago, while I was cleaning my counters:

"Do I have to wait until you're open to pay my bill?"

I swear to god, I'm requesting Sundays off from now on.
Whats my name

Jan 14, 2007, 12:49 PM
My personal favortie, is the hundreds of people that walk by a day and say something along these lines.... "whats disneymobile" or "DISNEY HAS ITS OWN PHONE COMPANY?!?!"

Really its not that exciteing......
raycarroll70

Jan 14, 2007, 12:54 PM
Those two questions aren't dumb ones. If I hadn't worked in the wireless industry and known who are key MVNO players are, I probably would have been intrigued by the name Disney Mobile and inquired. I definitely would not have purchased from you based on your posted comment. The truly dumb questions are the ones never asked.
Whats my name

Jan 14, 2007, 1:05 PM
but you see they dont stop and ask those... they walk by and mokingly say that.....
Nikoletta

Jan 14, 2007, 1:11 PM
And I think that people getting spastic and freaking out over it is a bit over the top too.
monkeyracer

Jan 14, 2007, 3:23 PM
Yeah, so what, it's just an MVNO there are tens of them (not hundreds yet) in the US.
AdamLP1111

Jan 14, 2007, 12:48 PM
I love it when a customer asks if they can get like 5 of the most expensive phones that you offer, then when you tell them that they can't they say,

"Well, I guess I am going to cancel my account and take my business to another carrier."

We have 54 million customers. Do they really think that I give a damn about their little family plan. I am not going to giv eout free phones to anyone.
Nikoletta

Jan 14, 2007, 1:13 PM
What you're leaving out is not the fact that they can't have those phones... they usually can, for a price. They want those phones for free (always do) or with lots of free accessories as well.
monkeyracer

Jan 14, 2007, 3:25 PM
I love when you tell them this, and they still say they can go to (competitor) and get the same phones for free or significantly less.

Sorry mr. customer but with your contract on 5 phones, you'll have to pay a cool $1000 to cancel, and I promise you their pricing is almost exactly the same as we have here, so go ahead and waste money. Whatever.
Nikoletta

Jan 14, 2007, 3:33 PM
Oh no, the answer at that point is "Have a nice day."

When somebody resorts to the threatening to cancel tactic I resort to the 'you're an idiot' mind set.
monkeyracer

Jan 14, 2007, 3:41 PM
ya, once a customer says they plan to cancel, I just tell them that they need to call in to do that, and have a nice day! (but knowing the guy will be paying over 1k to just go to another company actually makes me feel a little better.)
Nikoletta

Jan 14, 2007, 3:44 PM
I agree it is nice to know they're going to get the ETF, we won't waive that just so you can leave. My response to that is always "Alright, you'll need to talk to care, they can access you account to help you with that." The funniest part is when they spaz out and threaten to cancel because we don't have access to their account so we can't go in and change their existing package.
monkeyracer

Jan 14, 2007, 3:53 PM
I have retention department's number programmed on my phone, I tell customers they can cancel in the store, i'll even help them dial the number to do it.
Stac147

Jan 15, 2007, 6:06 PM
HAHA that is so true! Like it will hurt me if you cancel. They get so offended when they walk out and you say, have a wonderful day! haha! All customers are the same
PhoneHero

Jan 14, 2007, 1:15 PM
"but wal-mart has this phone for free. what if i bought the phone at wal-mart for free and come to you so you can help me with the phone"

me "...ha, no, go spend a half hour trying to get a wal-mart employee that knows what they're talkind about, or ask the door greeter to teach you how to use the phone, or go to the deli ask to set up your bluetooth, better yet, why don't you ask the shopping cart guys to help you with your corporate discount"
AdamLP1111

Jan 14, 2007, 1:18 PM
Hahaha. I know exactly where you are coming from. I get stupid customers like that all the time. 🤣
PhoneHero

Jan 14, 2007, 2:04 PM
here's another one

c-"i bought this at wal-mart, i should be treated like any cingular customer, why did you help that customer and not me?"

m-"first off, your not a cing customer, your a wal-mart cust, the lady i helped was a customer of mine from a year ago, she comes in regularly so i can help her with her bill or any phone problem."

"if you want REAL customer service, someone who can back you up 110%, help you if you have ANY problem, you go to a store and a REAL rep. if you just care about phone price, and don't mind dealing with wal-mart reps who aren't trained by their local cingular HQ, don't make commision so aren't ganna work as hard, or if you want to waste your time finding someone in the electronics department, go to wa...
(continues)
monkeyracer

Jan 14, 2007, 3:31 PM
c - wal mart has this phone for free.

m - yeah, but you're also not going to get any support for it.

c - what do you mean? i can just come back here and you can help me right?

m - no, that's like buying a computer at best buy and going to circuit city to have them help you set it up. If you want the phone and the support behind it, then buy it here. If you want to save $50 and figure everything out for yourself, go to wal mart.

I swear this guy comes back two days later asking to exchange it because he couldn't get his bluetooth headset to work with his non-bluetooth phone. I just laughed at him and told him that he had to pay extra to get his bluetooth activated but since wal mart set it up they'd have to do that.

He came ba...
(continues)
Nikoletta

Jan 14, 2007, 3:37 PM
Or you can say "Sure, we can help you with it once it's set up, for a $50 service fee. When you purchase the phone from us you service fee is included in the cost of the phone."
monkeyracer

Jan 14, 2007, 3:42 PM
Or, you're saving $50 there, but it's going to cost you more time than it's worth to get everything done right, so buy from me today and save yourself time.
Nikoletta

Jan 14, 2007, 3:59 PM
I really think that, especially in places where your pay is strictly commission, you should have something like a "Preferred Customer" Club... customers who buy from you are automatically signed up for it and get such fabulous services as...

"Free Tech Support" (If your location offers support)

"Return and Exchange assistance"

"Customer Reward points... got for..." So for every dollar they spend at your location they get one point, then can exchange those points for free stuff like car chargers, cases, and the likes.

That's what my car dealership does, They charge more for things like oil changes and maintenance and such if you didn't buy the car from them but give pretty good prices if you did. That's why I take my car to them,...
(continues)
krickt

Jan 15, 2007, 4:47 PM
Yeah, but at least that one learned his lesson. I had four families do the same thing, they went to OKC to get the free phone promotion, then they came into my store during the January rush wanting me to change the phone numbers to local ones. Thankfully, the computer won't allow me to do that, and it won't allow Cust. Service to do that, and it won't allow the corporate store they went to in OKC to do it. That's the point of the promotion in a different market, that you have a number from that market. Two of the families went back and discontinued service and came back in and re activated with me, and paid for their phones, just like I told them to do in the first place. The other two families have been in my store whining about once a...
(continues)
alcave21

Jan 14, 2007, 2:18 PM
when they ask..."Ii dis a camra fona???)
looking right into the freaking camera too..... 🤣
wu10304

Jan 14, 2007, 2:25 PM
when a customer asks if i speak spanish and i say no and they say "someone speak a spanish?" and when i say no all of a sudden they speak perfect english. And definately the phrase i hear the most every day and have nightmares about is "pay bill"
alcave21

Jan 14, 2007, 2:33 PM
yeah whenever they come in to ask me if i speak spanish i say boldly...."yo no hablo espanol pero parlo italiano...y tu...??" 🤣

they leave the store as fast as a rabbit's eye ball..... 🤣
monkeyracer

Jan 14, 2007, 3:38 PM
After you tell them you don't know any spanish, it's:

uh, uh, can i pay one bill?

This is my favorite line, then when I ask for the phone number they give me their name (i know that nombre means name, but i said phone before it...)

and when I ask how much they want to pay, it's always

ciento cinquenta (not sure how it's spelled)

Okay, only because i took spanish in seventh grade do i even have a clue how much that is.
frankiewawa

Jan 15, 2007, 11:54 AM
Wow do I hate that. I have gotten the same thing.

"Do you uhhh speak a spanish?"

"no"

"Oh ok well I want to do this..."

They go from spanish to speaking english just fine. That bugs me so much. 👿
aavera

Jan 14, 2007, 2:33 PM
Had this one yesterday...

C-Do you carry the new blackjack?
M-no, that is a Cingualr phone, we just carry Verizon here.
C-That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard! That's like going to a jewelry store and them telling you they don't carry rings.

What??
alcave21

Jan 14, 2007, 2:38 PM
🤣
Nikoletta

Jan 14, 2007, 2:39 PM
No, poppet, it's like going to the Ford dealership and them telling you they don't carry Hyundai. Go away.
aavera

Jan 14, 2007, 3:04 PM
🤣 I so wanted to say something to that effect.
alcave21

Jan 14, 2007, 2:40 PM
yeah i love those customers whenever i get that kinda response i just reply..."well you coming into a verizon store looking for a cingular phone is just like going up to a donkey for some milk....would you do it?."

if they respond with "no" then you say well why you here....? 🤣
aavera

Jan 14, 2007, 3:06 PM
I know, right? Sometimes I wonder why I keep doing this job, really...
kiosk_hell

Jan 14, 2007, 3:18 PM
The other day a guy came in who purchased a phone through telesales and wanted to return it to us. When I told him he couldn't and needed to contact telesales for a return kit, he got all pissed about how long that would take and was yelling in Spanish until I couldn't keep my mouth shut anymore. I was like, "This is why you purchase phones at a store. Because if you have a problem the return process takes all of five minutes and you get your money immediately!" Instead of getting madder, he actually agreed with me.
kiosk_hell

Jan 14, 2007, 3:18 PM
WTF? This was supposed to be under "Things you want to say to customers"
craptacularwireless

Jan 15, 2007, 8:21 PM
🤣
sweetsoprano

Jan 16, 2007, 9:00 AM
"Do I have to sit and listen to the advertisements for your company while I wait on hold?"
🙄
lilmissqt28

Jan 14, 2007, 3:32 PM
"I just ordered that SLVR over the phone. Can I see it?" 👿
monkeyracer

Jan 14, 2007, 3:51 PM
Do you guys have the (any phone you don't have)?

No.

the dumb question - Why?

Because that phone is a (other carrier) phone, and only they sell it.

the second dumb question - When are you guys getting it?

][ come on, i can't predict the future, but most likely we won't ever carry it. if that's the phone you want, why don't you go buy it from them? ][
monkeyracer

Jan 14, 2007, 3:58 PM
c - what's the best phone that you guys have?

I hate this because i guess the answer would be a pda, but it all depends on what you need. And are you asking which has the most features or lasts the longest, or has the best battery or signal, etc...
Nikoletta

Jan 14, 2007, 4:01 PM
Yeah... 'best' is subjective... I know what I like but you're probably going to want something like the RAZR... blech.
monkeyracer

Jan 14, 2007, 4:04 PM
why do they ask this and ten seconds later buy the chitty free phone?

You just asked for the best, and your going to buy the worst because you don't want to spend money? pay an extra $50 and get something at least decent. (it may actually fall into your personal definition of "best")
cell_hell

Jan 14, 2007, 4:19 PM
Customer came in complaining that her phone didn't work.

We pop the back off, and the water indicator is bright pink.

"Ma'am you have water damage"

She denies completely.

"Ma'am, do you see this pink dot here? If there was no water damage, then the dot would be white."

The lady asks, and this is a direct quote, "Well, can't you just take out the pink dot and put in a white one?"

"No ma'am, that is considered fraud"

WTF?
kiosk_hell

Jan 14, 2007, 4:22 PM
I like when they want us to help them commit insurance fraud. "Well, can you just put insurance on my account and then I'll make a claim?" No. "Why not?"
monkeyracer

Jan 14, 2007, 4:41 PM
by that logic, i should be able to not pay car insurance until i get into an accident.

I tell them that "I can do that, but it will cost you the same as if you bought a new phone because that's the only way i can put insurance on your account."
monkeyracer

Jan 14, 2007, 4:38 PM
that doesn't make the phone not have water damage, you could have even tried to scratch the sticker off, it would still have water damage...
AdamLP1111

Jan 14, 2007, 5:15 PM
A customer just asked me what would be a good color for a Snoop Dawg phone? What the hell??
Stac147

Jan 15, 2007, 4:33 PM
I just had a customer come in my store and she looked at our display of phones, turned to her boyfriend and said, "they are out of the lime green ones." The lime green face plate comes in the box along with 3 others. AKA-LG Fusic. AHH I guess it just annoyed me terribly.
3g-g-g-unit

Jan 15, 2007, 5:31 PM
C- You have-uh phone I can-uh put SIM-uh card in-uh?

M- Sure, all of our phones are use GSM technology.

C- How much-uh is-uh SIM card-uh?

M- Ma'am, do you currently have Cingular service.

C- No-uhhhh T-Mobile.

M- Our SIM cards would not be compatible with T-Mobile service.

C- ***walks away mumbling, rolling eyes***

M- Huh??? 😲 😳 😲 😳 🙄
lilmushr00m

Jan 15, 2007, 5:37 PM
customer complaint on taxes for the pay as you go phone... but she had a burberry hand bag.yeah she may have gotten it for christmas but come on... there are taxes on everything.
WTF

Jan 15, 2007, 5:50 PM
copy of a verbal contract? cuz you kno we keep pocket recorders on hand for such occasions. i wouldnt call all customers dumb.... some are just mis informed.... terribly

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.