Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 19 replies

Crazy people that are afraid of radiation...

Jay Everette

Dec 3, 2006, 1:32 PM
A while back a guy came into our store with their nokia 6061 attached to a long string with 2 huge magnets taped (with silver duct tape nonetheless) to each side of the phone, making it 3 times heavier and wider than it was to begin with. The guy looked like he just escaped from the mental ward!
He picked it up from the string and plopped it down on my desk asking about how to use speed dial. He then took out 2 pencils and pried the flip open, and began to navigate the phone's menu with one of the pencils...I was in amazement that he didn't even want to touch it. 😳

He located the number he wanted on speed dial and I helped him store it.

I held myself back from asking buttloads of questions like "how do you talk on the phone?" or "w...
(continues)
Nikoletta

Dec 3, 2006, 3:03 PM
I'm surprised the magnets don't make it hard to use the phone or cause damage to the phone. I always thought Magnets were Bad News for any computer type things.
katrina

Dec 3, 2006, 4:38 PM
No, they are just bad for things that store infomation magnetically, like hard drives or floppy disks.
cilvzwagent

Dec 4, 2006, 10:29 AM
And depending how strong the magnet is, it's bad for your computer screen too.
katrina

Dec 3, 2006, 4:40 PM
I have had people if we had a list of which phones have the least radiation. c-net does have such a list on their site if anyone was wondering.
Also I have had people worried about the radiation of Bluetooth to which I say:
Ok, the signal from bluetooth goes 30 feet... the signal from you cell phone goes 5 miles... which would you prefer next to your head?
captainplooky

Dec 4, 2006, 12:07 PM

Ok, the signal from bluetooth goes 30 feet... the signal from you cell phone goes 5 miles... which would you prefer next to your head?

This logic is flawed when considering the effects of low versus high frequency EMF's.
katrina

Dec 4, 2006, 12:51 PM
Yeah, yeah... we are also bombarded with radiation from cell phones, radios, tvs, computers, etc all day long... I think the people that worry THAT much about cell phone radiation would only get more freaked out if you started talking about low vs high freqency lol
craptacularwireless

Dec 4, 2006, 2:11 PM
You can't avoid radiation, it's everywhere. Those people should just hang themselves if they're that afraid of radiation.
katrina

Dec 4, 2006, 2:33 PM
I have no idea if its true, but I once read that you are exposed to more radiation if you sleep next to someone for a year (since even we emit radiation) than if you get a chest x-ray
craptacularwireless

Dec 4, 2006, 3:19 PM
I try to tell people that almost everything in this world emits radiation and they look at me as if I'm blowing smoke up their ass.
katrina

Dec 4, 2006, 3:37 PM
I used to get questions about radiation when I lived in North Carolina, but here in Mississppi most people seem to think cell phones all use satellites or magic, but not towers (even though the towers here are huge and never disguised... there were a bunch of "tree" cell towers in NC lol)
ralph_on_me

Dec 4, 2006, 3:48 PM
Blowing smoke up people's butts emits radiation.
katrina

Dec 3, 2006, 4:42 PM
so, uh... I wonder did he just carry it around holding it 2 feet from him by the string all day? lol
KioskLife

Dec 4, 2006, 10:15 AM
Haha, I can't believe you didn't laugh at him... I probably would have 🤭

I've had a guy come in once saying that he could hear the radiation when he was on the phone and he needed a phone on which he wouldn't be able to hear the "waves" of radiation.... 👀
Jay Everette

Dec 4, 2006, 11:36 AM
He had it in this humongous mountain climbers backpack...
biznass

Dec 4, 2006, 11:11 AM
I have seen research that shows radiation from cell phones causes cancer and research that shows it does nothing. I don't know what to believe...
BUT yeah, I have crazy people asking about radiation about once a month, but no one as crazy as that guy!
Hayate

Dec 4, 2006, 1:17 PM
You can prove just about anything with research and studies depending on how you do the experiments and research. Same thing with polls. You can prove anything if you know how to set up the variables appropriately. The problem is, people very rarely study things objectively. They go into it trying to prove one specific side of the equation and when you're trying to do so, it's easy to plan ahead and rig the results, so to speak.

And I leave you with a Gunther quote: "I'm your Pleasureman. You will be my fan"
Jay Everette

Dec 4, 2006, 1:23 PM
I think we should put a call in for the Mythbusters!
wu10304

Dec 4, 2006, 3:18 PM
was it the chocolate, cuz i heard that it emits the least amount of radiation.
Jay Everette

Dec 4, 2006, 3:54 PM
Did you read the post at all??

Yes, it was the chocolate... 😡

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.