Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 34 replies

For the love of God, speak semi-correct English.

sweetsoprano

Dec 2, 2006, 5:32 PM
Ok. I admit it. I'm an English major, and I don't always speak correct English. No one does. However, when I call a place of business, such as my cell phone company, I do my best to speak as if I've had some formal education. It is the equivalent of nails scraping the chalkboard to me when a customer calls in speaking like they quit school in kindergarten. Petty, maybe. But it irritates me, and these are usually the same people who have $400 deposits and get flagged as potential fraud cases for giving other people's social security numbers. AArrrgghhh...
*end of rant*
chocolateman85006

Dec 2, 2006, 5:33 PM
Exactly. God gave us a mind to think with and a mouth to talk with. Let's use His creations wisely. 🙂
Hayate

Dec 2, 2006, 5:38 PM
I agree. One of the first things to make me dislike someone is their inability to speak proper English. Seeing people on forums and online in general that refuse to capitalize things, refuse to use punctuation, and replace letters with similar look numbers makes me want to kill something.

And when I listen to people speaking and they say crap like "funner" it makes me want to punch them in the teeth.
Hayate

Dec 2, 2006, 5:43 PM
Oh, and I absolutely love getting emails from my freaking district manager that say things like "Columbia Day" (as opposed to Columbus Day). Or how every plural noun has an apostrophe before the "s". Seriously, jackass, in the phrase "Blue RAZR's", what exactly does the Blue RAZR own or have possession of?
chocolateman85006

Dec 2, 2006, 5:45 PM
Or when people text with "k". What's so hard about typing out "okay" ?!
sweetsoprano

Dec 2, 2006, 6:05 PM
chocolateman85006 said:
Or when people text with "k". What's so hard about typing out "okay" ?!

Well, texting is different. One is usually in a hurry and not inclined to use correct grammar. I know I don't. Also, memos on account are exempt as well.
chocolateman85006

Dec 2, 2006, 6:08 PM
But all the damn time, though? That's a waste of a text (no mean replies, please. People have the right to do whatever they want to; I'm only stating a pet peave. That's all.)
chocolateman85006

Dec 4, 2006, 3:36 PM
Why do people spell yeah as: ya?
kapwww

Dec 4, 2006, 1:59 PM
AMEN!
craptacularwireless

Dec 2, 2006, 6:17 PM
This frustrates me to no end, as well. I didn't learn to speak English in complete sentences until I was five and a half years old, yet I speak English better than most of the people with whom I speak. It's quite a sad state of affairs.
chocolateman85006

Dec 2, 2006, 6:18 PM
I agree.
biznass

Dec 2, 2006, 6:34 PM
But the other day I said 'I haven't drunk much since August' and my coworkers laughed so hard because it should've been 'drank' (I guess).
It doesn't help that I speak the Queen's English. Sometimes that confuses me.
katrina

Dec 2, 2006, 7:41 PM
My favorites are:

"Yall phones use SIMS cards?" (note the 'S' on the end of SIM... its not a video game people)

and

"How much are teksiz?" (meaning text messages... but sounds a lot like Texas (yay for Texas!))

and then once I figure out what they are talking about, and I say it correctly over and over, they still insist on saying it wrong.
I used to live in North Carolina and thought maybe it was a regional thing... nope... its everywhere.
katrina

Dec 3, 2006, 4:33 PM
Or, ya know what i'm sayin, the ones, ya know what i'm saying that say, ya know what i'm saing, "ya know what i'm saying", ya know what i'm saying, after every couple words, ya know what i'm saying
chocolateman85006

Dec 4, 2006, 11:13 AM
Very true. How about this one: "How you cut this phone back on?" Have any of you heard this before?
Hayate

Dec 4, 2006, 12:23 PM
I get the "cut my phone back on" quite frequently. We also get the Navajo version of "Does it get good reception?": "Does it catch real good out there on the rez?" Good stuff.
chocolateman85006

Dec 4, 2006, 12:46 PM
lol 🤣
katrina

Dec 4, 2006, 12:55 PM
I also find it amusing that some people don't "press", "click", or "touch" buttons... they "mash" them.
"What button I mash on this payment machine if I wanna pay my bill?"
"well sir, it's a touch screen. Just tap the screen to get started"
"So i just mash the screen?"
"no... lightly touch the screen"
"huh?"
chocolateman85006

Dec 4, 2006, 2:02 PM
I'm still stuck on: Hey! My phone won't cut on!
sweetsoprano

Dec 4, 2006, 2:15 PM
"Um, yeah, I got this flyer in the mail...it say sumpin bout a free phone? (Note: NONE of our phones are free)
Me: Under the phone number you dialed, is there a promo code?
Cust: Um, yeah, I'm tryna git da free phone. Dis da right numba?
chocolateman85006

Dec 4, 2006, 3:35 PM
FYI: yeah is not spelled: ya.
Psyix987

Dec 3, 2006, 4:47 PM
I can't never like double negatives.
stevelvl

Dec 3, 2006, 11:20 PM
my fav is when a person starts out the the converstation in broken street trash gansta thug slappen biches picken up hoes dialect. then when you tell them no. they strat trying to interject big words into there gangsta rap. it just makes them like even bigger uneducated peaces of trash from the steet.

and yes i know it is miss spelled and poorly punctuated 😛
sweetsoprano

Dec 4, 2006, 3:14 PM
And...this also applies to representatives as well. We are representing a business; ergo, words such as "I'mma", "gonna", "aight", and other slang have NO place in our vocabulary.
craptacularwireless

Dec 4, 2006, 3:16 PM
You've been talking to Sprint Customer Service, haven't you? 🤣
sweetsoprano

Dec 4, 2006, 3:19 PM
No, I'm talking about the people who sit to my right, left, and behind me. 🙄
craptacularwireless

Dec 4, 2006, 3:20 PM
What company do you work for?
sweetsoprano

Dec 4, 2006, 3:43 PM
US Cellular... 🙂
chocolateman85006

Dec 4, 2006, 3:56 PM
I wokt for Cingular
Hayate

Dec 4, 2006, 3:17 PM
Agreed about "I'mma" and "aight", though "gonna" doesn't sound that bad.
chocolateman85006

Dec 4, 2006, 3:28 PM
Sadly, I do use some of those words
MrAbstracto

Dec 4, 2006, 3:56 PM
Imma gonna talk like this all day now, aight?
Foamy

Dec 4, 2006, 3:58 PM
That just sounds like a bad Italian accent. 🤣
MrAbstracto

Dec 4, 2006, 3:58 PM
🤣 yeah it does.
chocolateman85006

Dec 4, 2006, 3:59 PM
Yeah! Holla atcha boy!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.