Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 22 replies

Tri Mode phones

knn_dm

Oct 18, 2006, 4:38 PM
I had a customer come into my store today looking for a tri mode Verizon phone. I don't sell Verizon at my store but I like to help people in any way I can. Can someone give me a good recommendation?
rwilliams

Oct 18, 2006, 4:44 PM
๐Ÿคจ If you don't sell Verizon, then you can't do much more than direct the customer to a local Verizon store. If you know someone that works at one personally, tell the customer who to ask for and that you sent them. Or you could unlock another CDMA phone, sell it to the customer, and send them to Verizon to activate it...if you sell CDMA in the first place. ๐Ÿ˜•
Kagehiru

Oct 18, 2006, 6:13 PM
LG 3200, 3400 and 5300 do well on the tri-mode side.

The Nokia 6015 was an excellent phone, but doesn't usually qualify as stylish by any stretch of the imagination. The 2128 is a bit more modern replacement of it, but is bloody small.

Rwilliams is right w/ regards to needing to flash a non verizon phone with the proper prl programming.
newfette

Oct 20, 2006, 7:46 AM
the 3200was a crap shot of a phone!!!

I've sent so many of those away for warrenty that I dont recomend it to ANYONE!~!
shleeban

Oct 18, 2006, 5:44 PM
the new lg5300 is a great one... it even has bluetooth... (only 2 verizon trimode phones have bluetooth, the 5300 being the better one)
brentgodwin

Oct 18, 2006, 6:12 PM
The only other tri-mode with Bluetooth is a Motorola V710 and they are not available through a store.

There are plenty of tri-modes available.

LG VX4650
LG VX5200
LG VX5300
LG VX3400
LG VX3450
Motorola V325
Kyocera KX1

All of them very good phones. We have these phones available through my store. However, in your market they could be different.
Kagehiru

Oct 18, 2006, 6:13 PM
Brent, no sharing of company secrets!
brentgodwin

Oct 18, 2006, 6:20 PM
LOL....

The spy is loose again...

Introduce yourself spy!!!
Kagehiru

Oct 18, 2006, 6:30 PM
Ah, now that would be telling! If you don't find out by the Christmas party, you can by me a drink.
rwilliams

Oct 18, 2006, 6:15 PM
๐Ÿคจ The KX1?!!!?!?! That phone's trash and everybody knows it!! ๐Ÿคฃ
Kagehiru

Oct 18, 2006, 6:31 PM
Everybody that's nobody, maybe! ๐Ÿ˜› It had style, panache, a certain...look- That nobody wanted. I almost never sell that phone.
rwilliams

Oct 18, 2006, 6:34 PM
I sold one or two to people that just wanted a cheap phone cause they washed theirs. ๐Ÿ˜ณ
Kagehiru

Oct 18, 2006, 6:38 PM
Heh, been there, sold that!
Foamy

Oct 19, 2006, 9:13 AM
My favorite thing about that phone I found out when we first started selling it.

I had one in my hand and I accidentally dropped it. The battery door literally flew 10 feet straight up over my head and the battery itself went skidding 30 feet across the floor.

We call it the exploding phone now.
duckbutter

Oct 19, 2006, 6:01 PM
That phone was completely hit or miss. I had the usual problems with it. I also had customers that had multiple lines and had tried many phones swear by that ugly a$s thing.
crxtreme89

Oct 23, 2006, 1:17 PM
brentgodwin said:
The only other tri-mode with Bluetooth is a Motorola V710 and they are not available through a store.

There are plenty of tri-modes available.

LG VX4650
LG VX5200
LG VX5300
LG VX3400
LG VX3450
Motorola V325
Kyocera KX1

All of them very good phones. We have these phones available through my store. However, in your market they could be different.

Don't forget the 5300 has bluetooth. Same for the tri-mode Samsung A870 with bluetooth.
WhoDey

Oct 19, 2006, 9:59 AM
When I worked at VZW, was about the time they went to the Americas Choice plans.. and they required a tri-mode phone to take advantage of the newly added 1900 MhZ spectrum..
Man I had so many pissed off people who couldnt get the new plan. Verizon was giving away Sony Ericsson T61c phones.

Those... poor.. people who got that phone

And now.. no Tri-mode phones are even made..lol

..yes Im old.. get off my damn lawn kids!
krickt

Oct 19, 2006, 10:13 AM
They are still making tri mode phones. I have 7 trimode phones that are available at this moment, including one that was just released. Verizon just stopped advertising trimode. I don't know why, but they did.
craptacularwireless

Oct 19, 2006, 6:44 PM
Because all analog systems are going bye bye pretty soon. That defeats the whole purpose of a tri-mode phone.
krickt

Oct 19, 2006, 10:48 PM
They've been saying that "in Feb (insert year here)" they are going to stop requiring analog upkeep, however, every year the FCC says it won't happen until the year after that. We are now being told it won't happen until Feb. 08. I saw an article about somebody petitioning the FCC to keep Analog active. If that goes through, there will always be someone who wants a trimode phone.
Cellinovation

Oct 21, 2006, 7:37 PM
I would be willing to just about guarantee that the extention will be granted. The FCC does not want to be responsible for alot of businesses, and homes going without security systems, as well as all the people that would loose their job with the security company. The place would go under. Right now its a necessity to run their business. They can't change customers over fast enough to make them all work off digital spectrum!
krickt

Oct 23, 2006, 12:09 PM
I think they should keep the analog system, but get as many people off of it as possible, so that it's open for emergency and other applications and only an occasional phone conversation. It seems to me that would be the most efficent way of dealing with it. The only real solution is to get more digital (CDMA and GSM) towers into rural areas.
craptacularwireless

Oct 23, 2006, 1:06 PM
They've had quite a long time to start the process, instead of getting ready they've been petitioning the FCC. They should have used that time more wisely.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.