Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 24 replies

help with business info

kapwww

Oct 9, 2006, 10:50 AM
I'm looking for some info to help a customer starting a new business. He's convinced that no carrier other than VZW will ask for a deposit for a new business with ZERO credit history.

If VZW runs a tax ID for a business and it has less than 3 years of credit, they ask for a $500 deposit per line.

Does anyone know what the other carriers are usually asking for? Any help would be great. Thanks!
krickt

Oct 9, 2006, 10:51 AM
No credit history gets you a $600 deposit here. Tell him to do it under his social, DBA for the name and see what happens.
kapwww

Oct 9, 2006, 10:53 AM
Knowing the guy as I do, I'm going to bet it won't work, but thanks for the suggestion.
krickt

Oct 9, 2006, 11:00 AM
Well, at least you will have offered him options. For some reason the cell companies are tougher on businesses with no credit than they are individuals. When my parents started this agency/RadioShack 9 years ago, USCC (whom they were an agent for) wanted a $400 deposit per phone but allowed my little brother, who was 19 at the time to get one without a deposit. I still find that funny. They let him put 10s of thousands of dollars on charge for our phone inventory, but they wouldn't let them have a phone without a huge deposit. We just changed all our family plans into one huge business plan Saturday, no deposit now, they had 9 years of wonderful credit to look at, I guess. Does Verizon have a bank credit form that the customer can take...
(continues)
kapwww

Oct 9, 2006, 11:02 AM
I'm not aware of such a form, but it may be something that corporate offers. I'm just a simple little agent (well, not that little. We have over a dozen stores throughout the entire state, but still...we're not corporate.) so they give us everything.
krickt

Oct 9, 2006, 11:09 AM
I'm an agent as well. But I don't know anything about how Verizon does business. We have a form and a way to call credit on special cases, sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. At least you get to show your customer you tried. No other companies are going to give him a better deal. Well, maybe Amerilink, but they suck, coverage wise, so it's probably not an option.
kapwww

Oct 9, 2006, 11:10 AM
The guy is a putz and he's the type that thinks he's something special. He really isn't. Nobody likes him. He just happens to show up where everyone else is hanging out. He, like many other customers, like to try to convince us that another carrier is going to do him a favor and he wants us to do the same favor to keep the business local. What these people don't realize is that those types of tricks haven't worked since the late 1800's. I just want to be able to give him a list of deposits to rub in his face and make him feel a little less special.
krickt

Oct 9, 2006, 11:12 AM
Traffic has been a little slow in here. I'm sure somebody else will pop up. At least you have USCC, or is that not an option where you are?
kapwww

Oct 9, 2006, 11:16 AM
Not really an option. Most of Upstate New York is VZW. Cingular, Sprint/Nextel, a little T-mobile, and your usually PP services. The only company with respectable coverage is VZW in these parts.
krickt

Oct 9, 2006, 11:21 AM
So he's just blustering, I get it. I'm assuming you already told him his options and waited for him to stop blustering?
kapwww

Oct 9, 2006, 11:28 AM
he left and said he'd come back. I'm just trying to arm myself with info for when he comes back. I'm hoping someone comes on and can give me an idea what the other major carriers might ask for so I have hard numbers. I know the Nextel store about 40 minutes from here will sometimes advertise "never pay more than a $75.00 deposit for a contract plan" but I don't know the terms and conditions. Nextel has no coverage in my area and I don't think they even pretend they do. Let the guy sign a contract for phones he can't use. He won't learn his lesson, but I'll get a good laugh out of it.
rwilliams

Oct 9, 2006, 11:38 AM
VZW Business...If the business is under two years old, $500 deposit per line. No exceptions.
krickt

Oct 9, 2006, 11:57 AM
Yeah, but Nextel/Sprint hide their deposits in the phone price. You won't have a deposit more than $75 but your phone price will be $300 more than it was if you had good credit.
kapwww

Oct 9, 2006, 12:22 PM
That makes sense. I knew there had to be a catch, but I never really had enough motivation to figure out what the catch was. Thanks!
WhoDey

Oct 9, 2006, 11:29 PM
.....huh?!
Please explain your post.

I sell a phone at the same price no matter what your deposit amount may be.
BTW, Sprextel just changed all the credit classes and deposits, so before a deposit that was 250 now can be as high as 700.

THANK GOD.. I dont want Cletus and Eugene anymore
krickt

Oct 10, 2006, 10:16 AM
You explained it yourself, things have changed. I had three ex Sprint customers that had $200 deposit with us, but no deposit with Sprint, however, the phone that I was selling for 29.95 at the time cost them 229 at Sprint. They were told it was because of their credit. That's where I got that from. It's been a few years since that happened, so things have probably changed.
WhoDey

Oct 11, 2006, 11:04 AM
Oh.. okay, was wondering if this was another indirect dealer trickeration.

I didnt mean to come off as disingenuous, it just kinda came out that way
krickt

Oct 11, 2006, 11:26 AM
I've always been confused by the terms indirect and direct. I'm an agent, I own the agency. I'm assuming that an indirect can sell other kinds of phones besides one? I don't know. I can only sell USCC, nothing else. Not even air time cards for other companies.
ralph_on_me

Oct 9, 2006, 11:37 AM
I'm not sure what the cingy deposit would be. Most business I run come back class F with zero deposit. No hit's we have to call in for, but I rarely rarely ever have those.
chainsaw

Oct 9, 2006, 12:08 PM
Usually if the company has zero hits it will be a $500 through cingular.
kapwww

Oct 9, 2006, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the info. That's what I was looking for.
CptFarlow

Oct 11, 2006, 12:02 PM
you might wanna try sprint, they arent really strict about credit checks or no credit history let me know how it works out
gringo69 😎
MeatballzNGravy

Oct 11, 2006, 12:04 PM
They all will want a deposit or have him run off of his personal credit and once the business gets established do a change of responsibility. If he owns the business or at least has a high position in it, his cell bill will be a write off for him regardless if it is in his name or the business. It is a expense that he incures for business purposes which allows the write off.
krickt

Oct 11, 2006, 12:07 PM
Amen, that's what I do, when a credit check comes back bad for a business. Just open the account in the Owners name and social and put DBA (doing business as) in as part of the billing address. That way when it comes time in a year or two to renew, they can switch to business plans.
MeatballzNGravy

Oct 11, 2006, 12:41 PM
In all reality, it is the smartest option to do.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.