Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 26 replies

This one is great!!!

pure_pimpin_101

Aug 4, 2004, 11:52 PM
🤣 🤣 🤣 😳 🤣 🤣 🤣
I actually work for an insurance company and i had a call where Mrs. smith called in to report her phone was damaged and it no longer worked. at the point where i asked her for her make and model, of course she didn't know. So i asked her to take her battery off and look behind the label to find the model info. She then proceeded to tell me that she could not get her battery off. Of course i couldn't help her in taking it off b/c i didn't know what model it was. Then she told me that she had dropped her phone the other day and the battery fell off. (don't ask why she could put it back on, but not take it off) she then told me to hold on......i heard a loud crash in the background and she said...
(continues)
djdelay

Feb 3, 2006, 6:28 PM
oh my god.....that's awesome.

I had a guy once whose Samsung a670 was malfunctioning;

Me: "Unfortunately, we do not cover malfunctions for his plan. You will need to file it under your manufacturer's warranty through Verizon."

Him: "Well, what does the insurance cover?"

Me: "Your insurance program covers for theft, loss, or damage. Your warranty covers the malfunction."

-At this point I hear a really loud bang. Then he comes back to the phone.

Him: "There. Now it's damaged.....will you cover it now?"

Me: "What just happened, sir?"

Him: "I threw the phone. Now that it's damaged, it's covered, right?"

Me: "I do apologize sir, but that is what is known as intentional damage and it is not covered. What's more.......
(continues)
tequilasundae

Feb 3, 2006, 6:35 PM
had a pretty similar experince.........i watched the woman call the insurance company and tell them "i got mad at my bf and threw the phone at him..it hit the wall and ain't been workin right since.. 🤣 🤣
vmc5555

Feb 3, 2006, 9:14 PM
Oh these are great.. 😁 (being a wireless insurance rep myself)...i had a guy call in once, unfortunately it was a misdirect but this guy was calling for m/e failure he tells me "the keys on my phone don't work" I asked him if he had dropped it so the guy says "no...but it's to the point where I'm beating on my keys for it to work" I was tempted to notate intentional damage on his account... 😈
motosux

Feb 4, 2006, 4:43 PM
so do you insurance reps make commission off of the amount of claims you deny in a day...is there a quota???

I mean, I realize that if you are on the phone and you hear them crack their phone, then there is clearly a fraud issue, but these people pay $6-$10 each month to replace a phone that is usually refurbished anyways and only costs the insurance company $100; then you charge a deductable on top of that. Its a total rip off, and I personally don't know why consumers buy into it all time.

Unlike most of you, I actually help my customers by giving them legit stories to feed to insurance companies. Just as you guys try to screw the customer, I've learned the tricks to doing it back to you.
vmc5555

Feb 4, 2006, 6:24 PM
Wow...I sense a bit of resentment...did you have a claim denied? 😉 ...Actually don't hate me I enroll phones into the insurance program (wow...that may actually be more of a reason to hate me 😛 ) I actually consider my customer's helped if they call to get insurance and by the end of the call they are insured...job well done...

I'm not looking to get fired by telling the customer's who call me that the insurance is a rip off..if they want it they can have it...
TheItalian

Feb 4, 2006, 6:27 PM
if you don't like the way the insurance works, then don't get it. I'll be happy to sell you a brand new outright phone for $280 + dollars, then have your company charge you 15 bucks for the esn/imei change.

it would be my pleasure
vmc5555

Feb 4, 2006, 6:32 PM
Yeah I think it's great when a customer becomes disgruntled about the insurance and they want to cancel it or they dont' want to pay a deductible..."Oh well I got this phone for free...why pay $50 when I can get a free phone instead..." Yeah...okay....good luck. 🤣
TheItalian

Feb 4, 2006, 6:39 PM
they don't realise the company still has to pay for the phone, and it's not free to make the phone, and they're getting a serious discount for singing a contract. "oh, but you gave me this camera phone for free when I signed up with you, now that it's broken why can't I just get another one for free?"

it's like saying to walmart "oh, I got this digital camera as a birthday gift for free, and I accidently ran it over with my car, can't you just give me another one for free?"

NO YOU DUMBASS, GET OVER YOURSELF
motosux

Feb 4, 2006, 6:38 PM
You're missing the point.

I've had customers get denied for legit claims before because the insurance company pries and pries until they find a reason to deny it. It's BS. Just give them a phone; they've paid their monthtly premium and now are without a phone. Regardless of the reason, the deductible should get you a "new" phone (which we all know isn't really "new" anyways)

If your going to insure "loss" then how can you deny someone for intentional physical damage. Its hypocritical.
vmc5555

Feb 4, 2006, 7:10 PM
Okay the problem is that people think that cell phone insurance is sooooo much different than home insurance or car insurance...No...It's still property and casualty insurance...if you light your home on fire...the insurance is going to tell you that's too bad...or if you purposefully blow up your car...the insurance isn't going to replace it...

Taking your phone and dunking it in a tub of water because you don't like the color and you want a new one is not a "legit" claim...We are not prying and prying so that we can deny a claim we are probing for intentional damage which of course we DO NOT and CAN NOT replace...I mean if you give someone a $330 tv and they don't like the way it's shaped so they take a bat to it, come back to you and t...
(continues)
TheItalian

Feb 4, 2006, 7:12 PM
the only problem I've run into is with refurbished phones customers are still paying for insurance monthly, but the refurbished phone isn't covered under that insurance. I've had several people with this problem. that's the part that sucks.
vmc5555

Feb 4, 2006, 7:22 PM
Depends...I can't speak for Asurion, but the customer is allowed 2 replacements...after the 2nd replacement the insurance is cancelled...but in your case you would have to ask if the replacement phone is the first one they've gotten because in that case it IS insured and comes with a warranty...we would not bill a premium for a phone and not honor that insurance...
TheItalian

Feb 4, 2006, 7:31 PM
asurion is the only insurance I've ever heard that complaint about, but it's also the only insurance company that our phones have insurance through.
Nikoletta

Feb 6, 2006, 12:49 PM
That's a shame, the two phone limit, because my brother is honestly that clumsy and careless with his phone and has had to replace his phone like three times this year, he works as an electrician and he's always out in the job sites (construction stuff) and dropping it, or getting banged into or falling and landing on it, the insurance has been a godsend for him.
motosux

Feb 4, 2006, 7:22 PM
Wow, First of all, a car or a house is worth a hell of a lot more than a cell phone so that analogy doesn't really count. After all, if you "lose" your car or house, you don't get a new one either.

I'm not going to argue the facts here. You are doing the job you were taught to do. You are following the rules. That is great.

I do have a question for you though. A customer pays for insurance for 8 months. They make a claim that is denied based on the facts (maybe they have a broken screen but the phone technically still works so they are denied) So after this customer is denied for one thing, they get flagged and that esn can't ever get passed through. Why would this customer continue to pay for insurance? They won't ever be able...
(continues)
TheItalian

Feb 4, 2006, 7:25 PM
that's when they cancel their insurance. people do it all the time
motosux

Feb 4, 2006, 7:41 PM
yeah, thats the logical answer.

but if I get in a "fender bender" as mentioned above and I ignore it because its not worth the deductible to fix; then 6 months later I get into a major accident and total my car, i don't get denied based upon the fender bender.

with phone insurance, you crack your phone and you're done, even if you keep paying the insurance and something legit goes down later on, you're denied again based upon the first claim. you want to talk about fraud, it sure sounds like the customer is being conned by the insurance company.
TheItalian

Feb 4, 2006, 7:48 PM
then like I said before, if you don't like it, don't get it.
KrazyJoe

Feb 6, 2006, 10:56 AM
The way things are are they way they are for the opposite reason of what you say.

You say the insurance company is conning the customer, but it's because of hundreds, if not thousands of customers conning that same company that makes them have such tight regulations.
Nikoletta

Feb 6, 2006, 1:03 PM
And if you don't think the deductible is worth it to replace the phone with the cracked screen then don't call the insurance company just to tell them 'oh I've cracked my screen.' You could argue that the customer is calling to find out what a replacement would cost but it's in the paperwork so they've got that information available if they'd bother to read it.
vmc5555

Feb 6, 2006, 6:22 PM
I heard that...two things I have learned working at an insurance are that noone bothers with the terms and conditions...and noone looks at their billing statement, they just pay it (relevant when a customer calls in thinking they have insurance but have NEVER been billed for it)

And as a post below says..I don't think motosux realizes that he's committing insurance fraud...
Vox Dei

Feb 7, 2006, 11:40 AM
I mean i probably don't read all the fine print of my insurance but when i get insurance for anything the two most important questions are "What is the cost", and "What is the deductable". Why do people expect the cellphone industry to be different than any other industry. Someone should go to Walmart and complain that they have been a customer there for years and should get that jug of milk for free 😳
kracing

Feb 7, 2006, 11:48 AM
I hate that more than anything....
But I have been a customer for XX years, so why don't I get that phone, car charger, ear bud and case for free????
That drives me insane. 😳 Well I have been driving a Honda for 6 years, and they still have not given me a free car! WTF do these people think sometimes???
Nikoletta

Feb 7, 2006, 1:17 PM
Hey now that's something I hadn't thought of but what he's doing is patently illegal, you're right, insurance fraud. Ah lord.
Vox Dei

Feb 4, 2006, 10:36 PM
So your helping people commit insurance fraud. You understand that is why insurance rates and deductables are so high right?
Vox Dei

Feb 4, 2006, 4:57 PM
Oh that's mean 😛 The guy does what he's supposed to do and gets insurance it's not his fault he was transfered to you instead of the warranty.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.