Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 16 replies

THE arguement

Aug 31, 2006, 10:22 PM
When a customer is being stupid (always), at what point do you decide to actually defend yourself and your company?

Its like when someone breaks their phone and wants your company to give them a new one for free you just want to say. "sir, cingular cant be held responsible for your inability to keep your phone in one piece, you broke it you have to buy a new one." But you know, you have to be diplomatic and friendly, but sometimes you just want to reveal to the customer just how ignorant they are being.

So my question really is...do you guys argue? Or are you just reading the script?

If you do argue, do you ever get in trouble for it?
Darkinday

Aug 31, 2006, 10:35 PM
I sometimes follow the script, or the standard "it's valid lemme alone" but sometimes i'll actually argue the point that it's valid. sometimes i'll cave and be nice. but only if the person is nice. i pick and choose who i'm nice to. 😎
Darkinday

Aug 31, 2006, 10:36 PM
for example: d!ck calls in, being all jerky and such... i'm not going to be nice to an a$$.

someone who is actually being nice, and has a valid reason, then i'll be courtesy, but not over much.

Aug 31, 2006, 10:45 PM
I am talking about the peopla who think that they know more about your job than you do. I am talking about a$$holes that drive up to your store JUST to yell at someone.

NW you could do the age old "im sorry sir that is all i can do for you today."

Or you could actually argue the reason WHY it cant be done and reeducate the customer...of course you cant do this without being "rude" so how often do you actually engage in the argument?
nickibop04

Sep 1, 2006, 9:29 AM
People dont understand the fact that we are trying to run a business. They think that we need to break the rules for them because they are SPECIAL. Im so tired of hearing..."I have been with you guys for 10 years" ok cool, and we have given you service for your money. They tend to forget that we are a service provider not a phone manufacturer. I dont get why they think that if they have a faulty phone that its our fault. Yes you bought it from us but no we didnt make it.
motodude69

Sep 1, 2006, 10:21 AM
But upon taking a job you are supposed stand behind the products that you sell. Whether or not you manufactured them. Unless you are there just to get a paycheck, then that is what customers rely on.
peanutblue

Sep 7, 2006, 12:45 PM
It's fine to be behind the products you sell. But when a customer gets mad at you (the sales rep) for a faulty phone, especially if the problem is the customer's fault, it's difficult to make him or her happy. Re-education is almost impossible because most people seem to think that they know everything and that everything you say is wrong.
ralph_on_me

Sep 1, 2006, 10:16 AM
If you try and explain policy, it confuses them more. It doesnt' matter what angle you try to take. I keep things simple.
motodude69

Sep 1, 2006, 10:25 AM
You have to keep morales for yourself and your company. If you have someone come into your store, and is being a really big jerk, then you can address the fact that they are coming across that way. I give my customers 3 strikes. First I will politely address them with they need to calm down. The second matter, In a more firm voice, I tell them that they need to refrain from langauge/talk in a lower manner. The 3rd time I tell them to leave the store or I will have proper authority personally remove them.
chainsaw

Sep 1, 2006, 10:46 AM
I usually check their account to see if they have insurance. If they don't I tell them that the warranty only covers manufacture defects so I tell them their options. 1. You can buy a phone at the retail cost without doing an upgrade. 2. I can check your account to see if your eligible to do an upgrade and you can get a discount off of the new phone. 3. You can add insurance and wait 30 days to file a claim. 4. You can buy a used phone through several channels around town.

If they argue with their options I tell them the options again.
If they argue with me again I tell them that I told them all their options and they will have to pick one if they want to have a cell phone and that every company carries the same policies that we do. Then...
(continues)
itt

Sep 1, 2006, 10:50 AM
Basically it all depends, if the customer is nice about it, i'll be nice back.

But as for me being an @$$ i'll give an example of one.

Customer walks into the store he had our service before and ported out to another carrier, so he comes back yelling why there was a $150 etf and that he wanted to come back but the sales rep at the other carrier lied to him. Well I told him well that isn't our fault is it? When you signed the contract with us, we explained to you, you have 30 days trail and after 30 days if you cancel it's 150. And he starts getting louder with me and I told him, you know what? I don't give a sh!t What you want, you knew what was going to happen if you broke the contract and there is no one else to blame but yourself....
(continues)
dirrty_d

Sep 1, 2006, 12:46 PM
I tend to argue with customers every once in a while, because I try to tell them how it is and they just want to argue, I try to be all nice as long as I can, but sometimes it gets to the point that they piss me off so much that I cant help it, but I never really have gotten in trouble for it, just had the incident mentioned kind of like a warning but really not even that. just told to be careful what i say to customers. If anything we just get complaints that we are rude, we dont really have a manager here that they can ask for to try to get su in trouble...
chainsaw

Sep 1, 2006, 12:59 PM
I had a customer call and complain to my manager about me last week. He was there during the whole sale. We both got a pretty good laugh when she made her baseless claims.
craptacularwireless

Sep 1, 2006, 1:26 PM
I always try to educate them on how it works so that they understand that the phone companies are "out to get them". I give them different examples and if they don't understand after all that, I tell them there's nothing further I can assist them with. I tend to make them call down most of the time, so that's good.
Innascent

Sep 1, 2006, 3:00 PM
i dont not argue... my company is the top cux serv wireless company around... we have no room to argue... unless we want to work for another company.... no matter what we do not need to do that... not in a manner that would even resemble a arguement
rwilliams

Sep 7, 2006, 12:31 PM
i pretty much live under the age-old "Do Unto Others". i treat the customer the way they treat me. and i've also learned that you can say ANYTHING to a customer as long as you say it with a smile. i picked this up from my old manager back when i sold cars. so give it a shot. you'd be surprised at what you can get away with
nodeposit

Sep 7, 2006, 1:16 PM
I pick and choose who I want to argue w/. I love arguing because I enjoy making stupid people feel stupid. If I feel that the "script" will be enough then I use it...it's only after I have repeated myself a couple times that I realize they are idiots and I then will argue w/ them. You can pull the "customer service card" all you want but those type of people will never understand that it's not always about what they want.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.