Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 12 replies

Stupid people that kill their SIM cards

Hayate

Aug 27, 2006, 4:43 PM
Nothing brings me greater joy than telling people that they have to pay for their stupid mistakes. I just had a family come in saying the phone was saying SIM Disabled and they wanted a replacement. They insisted that the replacement should be free because it's not their fault because they never set a password to begin with.

I asked their daughter (whose phone it was) if she tried to enter a password first. She of course said yes and explained that she didn't remember the password and entered it wrong and then it said SIM Disabled.

That's about it...I sold them a new SIM card and made $25 for the store. I make it a habit to tell people that if the SIM card malfunctioned we'd replace it for free but since they actually ruined it the...
(continues)
chainsaw

Aug 27, 2006, 6:37 PM
I think manufacturers should disable this whole feature all together. I'm sick of people wasting my time for that.
GodHatesMe

Aug 27, 2006, 6:45 PM
Yeah, who the hell needs a password protect on their SIM? I mean, I wouldn't just take it out of my phone and leave it for someone to steal. And if your phone gets taken, then have the service suspended. It's not neccessary to have a code for the SIM card, at least I don't think so.
Hayate

Aug 27, 2006, 7:10 PM
I agree. It's honestly probably just a way to make money. People are stupid and will inevitably put in a code and then inevitably forget it. When that happens the stores can make $25 for something that cost them perhaps a penny. Personally I don't mind doing the whole new SIM card thing because it's a good way to be able to point out people's mistakes and get more money from them for it.
diana1gd

Aug 28, 2006, 2:12 AM
I almost never charge people for a replacement sim, even if it's their fault, especially if it's the first time. Is it really worth it to piss off a customer for something so easy to fix that only takes 2 minutes of your time? If they're being rude, that's another story.
Hayate

Aug 30, 2006, 1:03 PM
Yeah, usually they lie about it and say they didn't do anything to it and it "just happened" one day. You know that's a lie because it just doesn't happen that way. Or when people blame you for it, saying it's your responsibility and it should be covered by warranty. Those people pay.

I had one guy that came up and asked how much SIM cards were and he was quoted $25. He explained up front that his brother messed with his phone and set the password and deactivated the SIM. He had no problem paying for it. I replaced that one for free.
3ntropy

Aug 30, 2006, 1:15 PM
i'm pretty flexible with the $25 replacement fee. if they're are rude or lie to me, they get charged. if it's their fault and they'r nice, they usually get it done for free.
T-MoTucson

Aug 30, 2006, 1:15 PM
and I work at a corporate store. Who cares why the SIM card doesn't work. A company like ours wins JD Power and Associates awards for customer service by doing things like replacing SIM cards for free. Where I live indirects activate 3rd lines without telling the customer when all they want to do is upgrade, tell them their activation fee will be waived, refuse to exchange their own handsets, and sell SIM cards for more than their value.

Suckahead!

PS I'm another rep in the store, and I hate you and your kind. You guys give us a bad name.
krickt

Aug 30, 2006, 1:19 PM
You forget that as a company store, no one at that location is financially responsible for any of those things you just mentioned that you give away. At the agent stores we have to pay all that, therefore, we lose money, therefore we can't do all that stuff for free. We don't do sim cards here, but if we did, I'm sure we'd have to pay for each and everyone of them, whether we sold them or not. Remember, none of the carriers could exist without their agents or third party vendors. None.
ralph_on_me

Aug 30, 2006, 1:31 PM
You've got it. They "sell" the agents SIM cards and then want us to give them away for free.
Foamy

Aug 30, 2006, 2:46 PM
F*ck you.

I hate people like you. Get off your high horse. You sling cell phones. You're no better then anybody else here. 🙄
Hayate

Aug 30, 2006, 2:51 PM
Exactly. It's a freaking job. You're there to make money. You aren't the one who sets the policies and it doesn't make you a better person because you work for the corporate store. It's not some prestigious position that only a few people are privileged enough to obtain. It's not something you can be proud of @_@
3ntropy

Aug 30, 2006, 4:28 PM
YELLING LOUDLY!!!!!!!!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.