Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 20 replies

New Cingular Changes

silentscream

Jul 12, 2006, 12:25 PM
So what do you guys think about all of the changes in the last week? I dig the new data packages, but when they change Directory assistence to $1.79 and 7-7 to $8.99, there are going to be some angry people. Also, this bull about 50% usage on our network KILLS me where I am. I'm in Lubbock, Texas. No service is GREAT here, but we're one of the tops. Especially in the smaller towns. But now, the smaller towns get screwed because they live 45 minutes outside of town, and we don't own that one. Too bad, so sad. I don't see why a billion dollar industry has to penny pinch.
krickt

Jul 12, 2006, 12:37 PM
I know that Cingular isn't the only one with the 50% usage rule, but that many companies are only now starting to enforce it. It's not a new thing in the rest of the industry. We have had dozens of people in the last few months that have gotten nastygrams from Cingular about their usage and have been told that they have 30 days to get a new service. You wouldn't think the big Nationwide carriers would have such a rule, but the regionals have had it forever.
silentscream

Jul 12, 2006, 12:47 PM
Yeah, it's no bueno where I'm at. I have people drive in to town with these letters and yell at me. There's nothing I can do or say other than, "Looks like you have a few days to try out Sprint or Altell," neither of which are as good where they are. Don't even mention T-Mobile or Verizon. I only know of 1 or 2 T-mobile stores, (service is terrible here) and we have no Verizon stores, though if you have it, it's not too bad. Oh well, I'm strapping my self in and getting the Vasoline... 😳
krickt

Jul 12, 2006, 12:57 PM
I'm suprized anybody's phone works in West TX! You are in a "cell hell" area! That's tough. Around here, we have always been in an area that was not covered by the Cingular map, and is better served with cdma service, anyway. Verizon and Sprint don't have licence to sell in our county, so it's us and Alltel at the moment! But we get a couple of Cingular customers a week, many times more. Some of them have had the service for years before they get the nastygram.
silentscream

Jul 12, 2006, 1:04 PM
That's the problem here. They've had it since we started here, and now they're getting shafted. I know it's been in the contract the whole time, but why instigate it now? Are they really paying that much to cover roaming? Seems to me that in cutting people, your bottom line goes down, not up. Like Don said, they just don't like money.
chainsaw

Jul 12, 2006, 1:08 PM
Yeah, they just don't like money. 🤣 🤣 Yeah Right. They love money but they need to post a high ARPU which is one of cingular's top10 metrics. And the truth is that you don't know how much cingular has to pay roaming partners so until you know that then shut yo mouths!
Don.Mobile

Jul 12, 2006, 1:12 PM
Witch would you rather have? 5 customers who pay 100 dollars a month? Or 10 customers who 50 dollars a month?
Don.Mobile

Jul 12, 2006, 1:13 PM
Which^ I clicked the wrong word on Check Spelling. 🤭
chainsaw

Jul 12, 2006, 1:28 PM
Well that is a tough question. I guess whichever one creates the highest revenue. But # of customers is also important.
Don.Mobile

Jul 12, 2006, 1:54 PM
It's the same revenue. Now, put churn into the equation. If you had 10 customers paying $50, your churn rate would have to be double that of if you 5 customers paying $100 to lose the same amount of money.

The problem is, Cingular only wants the customers paying $100 a month, and craps all over the customers paying $50 a month. And the churn rate isn't getting any better.

* These are not real numbers. This is hypothetical.
chainsaw

Jul 12, 2006, 2:37 PM
Sorry, I meant which customers are most profitable. Our churn has gotten better in our market because we have ditched the kiosk 3rd party dealers who Fked everything up for us. I agree though it would be nice to treat EVERY customer the same no matter what plan they were on. But I guess it isn't up to us Pee-ons.
Don.Mobile

Jul 12, 2006, 2:38 PM
If it was Cingular would make alot more money. So would we.
chainsaw

Jul 12, 2006, 2:43 PM
Yeah we make less money while the higher ups make more. Income polarization will lead to the demize of America.
Don.Mobile

Jul 12, 2006, 2:46 PM
That's how the rich get richer.
Don.Mobile

Jul 12, 2006, 12:44 PM
I don't know how long Cingular thinks they can charge their customers more and pay their employees less, and still be on top.
chainsaw

Jul 12, 2006, 12:52 PM
Well, the funny thing is. If cingular shuts off their service, they can just reactivate another line till they get another letter, and so on and so forth. If that is the only service that works in that area then they should be happy to make the extra effort. the nights at 7 for 8.99 is ridiculous. 7-7-8.99? It just doesn't have that ring to it. And why is it that when everyother company lowers their prices we raise ours?
Don.Mobile

Jul 12, 2006, 12:54 PM
Not only that, but they can get a new phone every 4 or 5 months.

To answer your question. Cingular hates money.
silentscream

Jul 12, 2006, 12:55 PM
Well, yes and no on the activation. We have a catch in our system that if the ZIP comes up out of area, it says in BIG RED letters "DO NOT ACTIVATE. CUSTOMER LIVES OUTSIDE OF CINGULAR AREA" (or something like that). If for some reason we get past that, our manager will come down on us like a fat kid on a donut. Also, that would be activation fees every couple of months, and telling everyone a new number. I think they need to stop hoarding the money and build a couple of more million dollar towers.
krickt

Jul 12, 2006, 1:00 PM
Is that a new thing? Because we have been in a roaming area for so long, it's always shocking to me the number of people who have the service. Maybe they have a billing addy in a different town or something, or maybe a user addy in one place and a billing addy in another. I know I can do that in my company.
chainsaw

Jul 12, 2006, 1:04 PM
Can Cingular build their own towers in rural carriers markets? Or do they own the marketshare exclusivley?
krickt

Jul 12, 2006, 3:44 PM
Its not that easy to build a tower in any area much less rural ones. The companies contract the counties to allow them to build towers. In our state it's hard for new companies to come in and put up towers, and in our county, we are pretty saturated with towers. Verizon is trying to get into our state, and its a slow process.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.