Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 18 replies

why am I only busy when Im hungry

Willwise

Jul 3, 2006, 2:04 PM
so at about 1:00 PM I start thinking where do I want to eat. at that point in the day it had been very slow and now customers won't stop coming in its like they know I want to eat. and nobody's buying any thing they just want to complain or do an esn swap and walk right behind the counter and sit in the empty computer seat next to me its terrible
guido1869

Jul 3, 2006, 2:28 PM
i get busy when i get the food so that by the time i slow down enough to eat my food is cold
krickt

Jul 3, 2006, 2:37 PM
That happens around here, all the time! I keep cheese sticks and energy bars in case we can't stop to eat!
guido1869

Jul 3, 2006, 3:13 PM
if i'm slow and need some sales i'll buy some food and pretend to be eating then custs show up, off to do that now
krickt

Jul 3, 2006, 3:15 PM
We have a joke around here, that if two people go to Dollar General to get a snack, there will be 5-10 customers in the store when we get back. They only show up when we are short handed or hungry!
Jennyboo

Jul 3, 2006, 3:43 PM
I hadn't had a customer for over and hour, so I went to Auntie Anne's and got myself a pretzel cause I was hungry...lo and behold when I get back I have three people standing around the kiosk! 😳

Then they look at me funny, like I'm not supposed to leave my kiosk during the day or something. Dang, a persons gotta eat right....
guido1869

Jul 3, 2006, 4:27 PM
low and behold i ran to the bank to make my deposits, grabbed some food and a cust was waiting when i got back, didn't get a bite yet and my food is cold, oh well i work off of commision so it's not too bad
guido1869

Jul 5, 2006, 2:56 PM
happened again but this time i had a group of mexicans that couldn't speak english so they didn't buy anything
motosux

Jul 4, 2006, 1:35 PM
it seems everyone else has already eluded to this, but its the general rule of retail (especially kiosks) If you are not busy doing anything, no one stops, but if you are eating or dealing with 5-6 other customers, everyone wants to stop.

a cheaper way to trick these customers is to get out a bunch of phones or accessories and start counting them and pretend to scan them into your computer. It never seems to fail that right when a weekly shipment comes in, 5-6 customers follow it up too.

They love to come at the worst times, so you can trick them without spending $5-10 on food!
motosux

Jul 4, 2006, 1:46 PM
we're located right next to a foodcourt, and I fricking HATE it when customers come up, set THEIR food down on the counter and start slopping it down while asking 1000 stupid questions. Then something will fall on the counter or they'll touch it with their greasy hands = EEEEWWWW.

Then to top it off, they won't purchase anything either.

but God forbid we ever eat in the kiosk.
Daenerys

Jul 5, 2006, 7:05 PM
Yes...God forbid 👀
craptacularwireless

Jul 4, 2006, 1:07 PM
Yikes, I'm glad I don't work in any of the states you guys do. Here in Cali there's mandatory lunch breaks if you work more than five and a half hours.
krickt

Jul 5, 2006, 10:10 AM
Unless you own the business and only family works for you. There aren't any labor laws to protect family owned and manned stores. But then again, I can close down the shop any time I feel an urge, so I guess that's the trade off.
craptacularwireless

Jul 5, 2006, 2:40 PM
California labor laws are the best.🙂
krickt

Jul 5, 2006, 2:46 PM
Yeah, maybe, but I don't want to live in California, so they don't do me any good. Like I said, when you own your own business, there are no labor laws regarding how much you can work.
craptacularwireless

Jul 5, 2006, 3:39 PM
No laws, but the need for making money prevents you from closing your store down. Or does it not bother you?

My statement was directed more to the other people, anyway, most of them don't work for themselves, they're at the mercy of their employers. I think that blows. I have a friend who lives in Indiana and she has to constantly deal with crap like this. No over time pay, no lunches. That kind of stuff bugs me. I don't like employers taking advantage of the employees.
Foamy

Jul 5, 2006, 12:08 PM
This is a fairly common problem as has been stated by practically everybody. I'm pretty used to it.

What really gets to me is when I get my food, sit down to eat it. Thinking I'm in the clear because nobody has showed up, and as soon as I take a big bite and have a mouth full of food, they walk in and say "Hello!"

And my response amounts to nothing more then mmfmhmm fmm hmm.
Nikoletta

Jul 5, 2006, 4:46 PM
Oh that's easy. God hates you.
evilbstrd666

Jul 5, 2006, 6:39 PM
How long have you been doing this?

Seriously, I have been working this retail job for three years, and for three years I haven't had lunch while it's hot....even if I cooked it in the microwave here.

As far as I can tell, it is for one of the following reasons:

1) Murphy's Law
2) People smell the food, and since they haven't eaten, they decide to breathe the fumes in your store for a little while rather than eat themselves.
3) All the customers that don't like you have hacked into the security camera system and waited until they saw you eating
4) Your boss called them all in to make sure you don't take a long lunch break

Seriously, in the last few weeks I simply started eating around 3:30 - and even then I still get interrupte...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.