Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 29 replies

Some tips

ksw2390

Jun 19, 2006, 1:13 PM
Hi everyone, I'm a frequent here for the Alltel forums, and I just recently got hired to sell cell phones at a local Best Buy.

You guys have any tips or advice for me for selling cell phones, i.e. research and etcs?

Thanks!
newfette

Jun 19, 2006, 1:15 PM
my advice??
dont believe a word tht comes out of anyones mouth on phonescoop

๐Ÿ˜ˆ
motosux

Jun 19, 2006, 5:40 PM
yeah, especially from newfette.

He/She/It is a complete moron.
alejandro

Jun 19, 2006, 5:42 PM
do i sense friction? sexual tension maybe?
motosux

Jun 19, 2006, 6:25 PM
none here- I just don't understand why people who are registered users of phonescoop would come into shop talk just to tell someone not to trust anyone on phonescoop. seems pretty retarted to me.
alejandro

Jun 19, 2006, 6:27 PM
she gets defensive easily, i think that post was more for her than him... also its a canadian thing...
bomb Diggity

Jun 20, 2006, 1:36 PM
Yes, motosux. Don't worry about it. It's a canadian thing. Your name is synonomous with death, just so you know.
Whitehorse

Jun 20, 2006, 4:24 PM
So the spanish word for motorola is "Muerte?" ๐Ÿ˜ณ
Nikoletta

Jun 19, 2006, 1:31 PM
Same advice I give to the new call center people...

Buy stock in Valium...

Then...

Buy Valium.

And practice this helpful phrase "No Sir/Ma'am, we don't offer that price on handset upgrades, that's for new activations."

Actually Best Buy isn't too bad, you've got multiple carriers so they can't threaten you with "I'll just go to Cingular/Sprint/Verizon!" because you get to say. "Wonderful, would you like to see the phones we have for Cingular/Sprint/Verizon?"

You'll have a lot more phones to learn though, and a lot more plans so probably do some reading at home so you sound more confident when presenting the individual phones and plans.
bomb Diggity

Jun 20, 2006, 1:39 PM
The only thing those department stores are good at selling (if you would even call it selling, true salespeople died out AGES ago, and come to think of it, they aren't even that good at whatever it is they're doing) is their own merchandise. This goes for Best Buy, Sears, Circuit City, and Ultimate electronics. There's no traffic for phones, direcTV, or dishnetwork.
jrewis01

Jun 19, 2006, 2:06 PM
My tip for you is to contact the Indirect Account Executive for each company. (This is the person who handles the account for Sprint, Cingular, etc.). Ask them to train you directly (in addition to the training you will receive from Best Buy). These people are also a great contact to have because they are experts in their companies. Your Best Buy manager should be able to provide you with their contact numbers/emails.

I have been an IAE and I know that the one thing they value in employees is someone who wants to learn...they will definitely help you!

Good luck!
KrazyJoe

Jun 19, 2006, 2:27 PM
This isn't always true.

I've worked for Best Buy in the wireless department. The AE's aren't always too bright. I've run through several of them. Even been offered the job once and turned it down.

I would advise you still call them. Just don't be surprised if the AE in your area happens to be as smart as jell-o.
cingcing

Jun 19, 2006, 4:19 PM
You were offered a job as an area manager for a wireless compay and turned it down to sell phones for best buy? ๐Ÿคจ

Tell me I missed something.
KrazyJoe

Jun 19, 2006, 4:48 PM
I used to work for Cingular as a rep in Best Buy (before Best Buy decided to get rid of them) and I worked directly under the regional AE. I had seen 4 AE's come and go and they were all stressed out.

There isn't exactly an IQ test to be hired at Best Buy and I worked with quite a few people who I am surprised made it to work everyday. The AEs would have to try to teach them and field their repeated and retarded questions day in and day out. One actually told me that they haven't been able to go to the bathroom without their phone ringing once in over a month.

That's too much stress. I don't need that. My hair is falling out fast enough, I don't need to speed up the process.

So, what you missed was the fact that I value my sanity ...
(continues)
cingcing

Jun 20, 2006, 11:12 AM
Ok, I can understand that. Must be different where you are. I have a couple of friends that are area managers for Cingular, and they are both happy. One has been at that position for 6 years.
canyoubelievethisjack...

Jun 19, 2006, 3:26 PM
run as fast as you can and get a job somewhere else, just kidding welcome to the S.h.t boat. listen to Nikoletta invest in valium.
Septhian

Jun 19, 2006, 4:09 PM
Have a bit of knowledge of every item,
More on the most popular, all the 'set aside' differences on the lesser.

The only time I looked for phones at Best Buy the kid read the info off the card to me. (either she knows nothing, or is assuming I'm illiterate.) I've been told that going there for phones, computers, cameras and equal electronics; you should expect to speak to a moron, and such is common practice.
KrazyJoe

Jun 19, 2006, 4:50 PM
The main problem when it comes to Best Buy and cell phones is they focus more on iPods and all the other stuff in the department more then they do cell phones. Activations are a burden to most of them and they don't bother to keep up on the cell phones because they change so often.

When I worked in Best Buy I was one of probably 2 people who actually know about cell phones and cared enough to keep abreast of the changing technology.
Nikoletta

Jun 19, 2006, 5:08 PM
My brother spends about two hours a day online reading about the new stuff and that's where he's at atm, Best Buy and doing their phones most of the time ('cause a lot of the rest there don't get them) A lot of that time is because he's actually interested and partially because I tell him "ohh, look, we're getting this one." and then we end up talking about it for a while, it's nice having intelligent siblings.
Shay_H

Jun 19, 2006, 6:19 PM
Best things to know is that: one. the customer is NOT always right. Two. Smile and Nod
Ask The Shack

Jun 20, 2006, 12:24 PM
www.bestbuysux.org 'Nuff said.
krickt

Jun 20, 2006, 12:28 PM
is that similar to www.radioshacksucks.com Cause I know that's a real site.
Ask The Shack

Jun 20, 2006, 12:36 PM
Both places do suck to work for, but atleast it was more fun to work at the shack.
krickt

Jun 20, 2006, 12:45 PM
I own a RadioShack, and I just learned about that website the other day. I found it funny! We don't make much money around here with RadioShack. They screw us over too much.
Pslim77

Jun 20, 2006, 1:32 PM
Radioshack sucks. All I have to say is REALISTIC, RCA, OPTIMUS. Why do you think Verizon pulled their retail contract out from under them. You can't sell premium quality phones and surround that quality with garbage.
krickt

Jun 20, 2006, 1:48 PM
Okay, you don't have any anger issues ๐Ÿคจ
Pslim77

Jun 20, 2006, 1:42 PM
The shack sucks. Ask the Shack how to screw up your phone bill, stereo system, etc....
granteezie

Jun 20, 2006, 7:42 PM
read as much as possible and when you get to work, play with the phones until you know them inside out.
Whitehorse

Jun 20, 2006, 9:46 PM
Product knowledge is hard to beat - learn as much about your products as possible.

It's also good to know about your coverage areas for your different carriers... This may not be as easy, but can prove invaluable.
cingcing

Jun 22, 2006, 1:06 PM

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.