Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 66 replies

LET ME TALK TO YO MANIJAH!

Sholyhit

Jun 14, 2006, 10:25 AM
Why is it that people think that talking to a manager will change the store's policy? If there are no returns on faceplates, why would talking to the manager allow you to return your faceplate? If the 1 year warranty covers defects NOT DAMAGE, how will talking to the store manage change the warranty? If the insurance company, a seperate company mind you, denied your claim because you told them you threw the phone at the wall, how is talking to a manager for this company going to help you?
So Cal 1155

Jun 14, 2006, 10:55 AM
LOL ๐Ÿคฃ I feel you on that one!! We had a customer who bought a bluetooth adaptor, and a Jabra bluetooth headset. And about a week ago came back complaining that it didn't work. So, he wanted to return it. When I told him that he would be getting a check instead of cash, HE FLIPPED!! He started saying something like

Cust: "Wa..Wa..Well, when I bu..bu..bought this, YOU wanted cash. Now I wa..wa..want ma cash back!"

NOTE: He has a bit of a speech problem...

Me: "Well, Store policy says we cannot give cash back on cash purchases. Did you read the back of your receipt?

Cust: "LET ME TALK TO YO MANIJAH!!!"

Manager: "How can I help you?"

Cust: "I bu..bu..bought this here thing, and I doesn't work. I wa..wa..want my cash back!...
(continues)
alejandro

Jun 14, 2006, 11:13 AM
I don't like the racial overtones this thread has.
So Cal 1155

Jun 14, 2006, 11:29 AM
They aren't overtones...Just reality. I'm sure you get customers who DON'T speak perfect english.
alejandro

Jun 14, 2006, 11:31 AM
all the time, but when you spell it like that you are trying to go at a deeper level and target a specific group of people. To take the time to spell it phonetically speaks to the level you have invested in the specific group.
cingcing

Jun 14, 2006, 11:33 AM
let it go. ๐Ÿคฃ
So Cal 1155

Jun 14, 2006, 11:33 AM
๐Ÿคจ huh??
alejandro

Jun 14, 2006, 11:36 AM
sholyhit took the time to spell your manager like he thought a specific group said it, and you ran with it. it would be like someone who does not like people from india recalling a customer service call..

"I am sorry sir boot ai cunnot elp yoo wit yur problem"
Sholyhit

Jun 14, 2006, 11:51 AM
I did not intend for my spelling "Manijuh" to be taken racially. That's simply the way it is in my store. We have probably a 10% white customer base. The location of that store is right in between 2 ghettos, and as a result, most of our customers at that store are from there. I made a comment the other night when I was hanging out with my friends about nextel's "chirp" service, and I was talking about all the ghetto people that come in asking if we got "da chirps". My cousin took that as a racial slur, when it was meant as an actual example of something that happened. I think in the history of me working for this company. only one or 2 people have ever asked to speak with the manager. With the exception of those one or 2 times, it has always...
(continues)
alejandro

Jun 14, 2006, 11:54 AM
But you know how it is spelled. And we are not talking to those people right now. Phonetics are not needed unless another point is trying to be conveyed.
So Cal 1155

Jun 14, 2006, 12:07 PM
๐Ÿ˜ณ DANG!! I didn't think you'd be so BU** HURT over something like spelling the way cust speak. Afterall, we ARE here to express ourselves, Right?? And Sholyhit decided to express theirself by spelling the way a cust speaks. Let it go...
alejandro

Jun 14, 2006, 12:41 PM
hey i do it all the time, i did it to jmarquez for doing it to indian and asian customers. dont be mad if i hit close to home.
So Cal 1155

Jun 14, 2006, 1:01 PM
๐Ÿ˜Ž Never said I was mad. Just ๐Ÿ˜ฒ at how much you defend others. Anyway, lets squash it right here, is that cool?
alejandro

Jun 14, 2006, 1:27 PM
its cool
strigel

Jun 14, 2006, 1:30 PM
pleas ignore alejandro he thinks he the owner of the forums
So Cal 1155

Jun 14, 2006, 1:35 PM
๐Ÿคฃ hahah, it's cool.
shortnblonde28

Jun 15, 2006, 3:39 PM
LOL hahaha I've noticed that too....he's just got his panties in a knot.
alejandro

Jun 15, 2006, 4:07 PM
watch it, i know who you are
strigel

Jun 15, 2006, 4:14 PM
EMPTY THREATS real mature alejandro
shortnblonde28

Jun 17, 2006, 12:43 PM
Do you?
MargeInovera

Jun 17, 2006, 12:40 PM
Well, I guess it's a good thing the customer wasn't a short, overweight, disabled, multi-racial lesbian with a lisp, or you would have been in P.C. He** not being able to use a single descriptive term without offending someone!
alejandro

Jun 17, 2006, 3:24 PM
I'm not PC, if you actually knew me I am one of the most offensive people you will ever meet. I don't really like it when employees complain about customers non-stop though. When there is racism involved I get angrier.

The topic was already dropped 2 days ago but thanks for bringing it back up. Can someone be a violent pacifist?
motosux

Jun 17, 2006, 5:27 PM
You forgot the greeting - "Welcome to quickymart, home of the slusshy, how may I be of assistance to you today"
alejandro

Jun 17, 2006, 5:40 PM
or "I no can dribe yu tu brooklin! Yu fine new cab!"
MargeInovera

Jun 17, 2006, 12:33 PM
And what group are you assuming was being targeted? Personally, I think it sounds like a 1/4 Russian, 1/4 Taiwanese and 1/2 Cajun accent personally. But, That's just my take on it.
MargeInovera

Jun 17, 2006, 12:31 PM
Racial Overtones? I would have spelled "manager" somewhat the same if I was trying to emphasize the force a customer was using in his/her voice when demanding a manager. Chill.
sandiegorep619

Jun 14, 2006, 11:18 AM
I hear you on that one as well ... we get these jackasses in here that think they can boss us around, or that if they act like pricks and we dont care that they say

cst:"well ... let me talk to the manager"

me: ok i dont care lol

85% of customers that come into our store are a bunch of idiots
So Cal 1155

Jun 14, 2006, 11:32 AM
It's even worse when the manager is busy w/ another cust. or on a conference call. It's like they expect the manager to drop what they are doing to hear them complain... ๐Ÿ™„
sandiegorep619

Jun 14, 2006, 11:34 AM
exactly ... i wish i could meet the person who said " the customers always right" lol rrrriiiiigggghhhhhhttt

i'd smack him across his mouth
alejandro

Jun 14, 2006, 11:37 AM
I bullsh*t with the girls at the place where i buy fries when they tell me i cannot buy something i say "The customers money is always right!"
sandiegorep619

Jun 14, 2006, 11:38 AM
lolololololololololol
Sholyhit

Jun 14, 2006, 11:56 AM
I have people sometimes that argue with me and they want to talk to the manager. I tell them I am the manager, and then they ask for our district manager's cell phone number. I inform them I can't give it out, and if they want, I can take down their number and give him a message to call them, but honestly, he probably won't, because he's very busy with many things, and it's not his job to deal with customer complaints. It's mine. If they say "What about 'the customer is always right'?" I usually respond by telling them that is a misconception. The correct phrase is "The customer is never wrong." With 'the customer is always right', a customer can walk in and say, "Hey! All that money in the cash drawer is mine! Hand it over!" And we have to ...
(continues)
motosux

Jun 17, 2006, 5:23 PM
in my world, the customer is never right and most frequently wrong.
krickt

Jun 14, 2006, 11:35 AM
I have only had one person ask to speak to my manager.... My dad, my mother, my husband and I all own this store, there are no other employees at this time, so asking to speak to the manager is like asking to speak to my dad, who was standing right next to me when he demanded to speak to the manager. Dad said "that would be me, and I can't help you any more than she can" The guy got flabergasted and left. He wasn't even local, just stopped on his way passing through to see if he could bully us into a deal, I guess.
alejandro

Jun 14, 2006, 11:41 AM
some woman was mad the other night because of an activation fee and equipment change fee for renewing and adding a line on a $40 plan, and while i was calling prc she told me to get them a manager, so i told the person on prc we were gonna have to call back on this one... i told her she would have to call customer service and she of course threatened to cancel top them and she made me and another girl here uncomfortably sitting around listening in and her husband uncomfortable, but she thought it was more of a game. retention talked her into changing to a $50 plan for waived activation and gave her a $15 credit.
shortnblonde28

Jun 17, 2006, 12:58 PM
At least when sholyhit talked about what happened, he put some periods in the sentences and wasn't one long run-on sentence. (ie, some woman was mad the other night because of an activation fee and equipment change fee for renewing and adding a line on a $40 plan, and while i was calling prc she told me to get them a manager, so i told the person on prc we were gonna have to call back on this one... i told her she would have to call customer service and she of course threatened to cancel top them and she made me and another girl here uncomfortably sitting around listening in and her husband uncomfortable, but she thought it was more of a game. retention talked her into changing to a $50 plan for waived activation and gave her a $15 credit.) ...
(continues)
heresyursign25

Jun 17, 2006, 1:02 PM
Hey Ell!!!
shortnblonde28

Jun 17, 2006, 1:07 PM
Did your phone dry out yet?
MargeInovera

Jun 17, 2006, 1:17 PM
Dial On!
cingcing

Jun 14, 2006, 11:39 AM
What I used to hate as a sales rep was repeting myself 10 times about store/company policy. Than having the cust ask for my manager, and telling them my manager would say the same thing I did. THEN my manager would just fold under the pressure and give the customer whatever they want. THEN getting that sny little look from the fu(king customer!!

๐Ÿ‘ฟ ๐Ÿ‘ฟ ๐Ÿ‘ฟ

Now I back my reps up on everything.
krickt

Jun 14, 2006, 11:40 AM
We don't cave, here. We do, however give them the number and address for all the other USCC's in the area and suggest they try what ever they are trying there. We, of course, explain that we either want happy customers or no customer, and that if we can't make you happy, we're pretty sure we can make you leave.
(Actually, it sounds better with a smile)
alejandro

Jun 14, 2006, 11:43 AM
I have the special ability to not give a damn when a customer is upset and when they want to talk to someone i look at them blankly. i mean, there are 2 people in this kiosk, if you want to talk to the new person go ahead, and they are usually forgotten about 5 minutes later.
Vox Dei

Jun 14, 2006, 11:45 AM
"I want to talk to your manager"

"Ok just a moment i'll pull him out of the drawer" ๐Ÿคฃ
alejandro

Jun 14, 2006, 11:47 AM
My ex-girlfriend is our manager actually and she is more uncaring than anyone else, she frustrates me when i want to help someone who genuinely needs it.
Vox Dei

Jun 14, 2006, 11:49 AM
Well if your in a kiosk and your manager is not standing there...not like she can be in the back room so she must be in the drawer (i can because you were telling me about your blow up girlfriend...not sure how you can dump a blowup doll though ๐Ÿ˜ณ ). Hehe. Just kidding.
alejandro

Jun 14, 2006, 11:50 AM
yeah, i should elaborate, our manager actually works at another location, the location the owner is usually in and out of 10 miles away
Vox Dei

Jun 14, 2006, 11:52 AM
Oh that's even better

"I want to talk to your manager"

"Ok here's her address have a nice day"
alejandro

Jun 14, 2006, 11:55 AM
yep, but truth be told i get just as many "You better call someone who can do it" and although i want to say, "I dont have a direct line to my nuts" i usually just call her even though i know she is going to say know and repeat along with "yeah i know we cant, they just wanted me to call you"
granteezie

Jun 14, 2006, 3:36 PM
alejandro said:
"I dont have a direct line to my nuts"

hahahah... i like that.
alejandro

Jun 14, 2006, 3:50 PM
how about this...

Me: "Here let me give you the number to managment 304......."
Customer: (Dials)
Me: (Holding my cell phone to my nuts, flips it open on ring)
Me to Customer: "well start with your complaint"
granteezie

Jun 14, 2006, 3:53 PM
nice.
MargeInovera

Jun 17, 2006, 1:01 PM
Our owner has actually used his "desk drawer" manager to handle unruly customers!
cingcing

Jun 14, 2006, 11:45 AM
I was a sales rep at a corporate store though. There was usually a manager there. If someone asked for my manager, it was an opportunity to pass a bs customer off on someone I neither liked or respected.
krickt

Jun 14, 2006, 11:54 AM
I still like the happy customer or no customer attitude. It makes me smile!
alejandro

Jun 14, 2006, 11:56 AM
yeah, but few people can remember the nice ones, its only the dramatic ones that make people bitter and stick in their mind.
Vox Dei

Jun 14, 2006, 12:00 PM
I had someone call up and tell me she just wanted to call up and tell us how proud she was to be with our company and how great of customer service we have ๐Ÿ˜. "I'm $20/hour lady so please go away" ๐Ÿคฃ . Naw i wouldn't do that. It was really cool though.
krickt

Jun 14, 2006, 12:04 PM
We are in a pretty good place here in rural SW, if the your phone works it works well, and in this area, USCC owns most of the towers so USCC is the best service to own, if you actually want to be able to call from most of the state. If you want a cheap razr, then by all means do a gsm company, but don't expect us to help you when your phone won't work 20 steps in that direction (choose one) That being said, we get a couple of people a day that have glowing wonderful things to say about us. We're pretty lucky. But Alej is right, you remember the jerks in more detail because they make sure you remember them.
Sholyhit

Jun 14, 2006, 12:10 PM
I remember only one nice customer I had. Honestly it was probably just because I saw her all the time. She came in and got a prepaid phone. It was a bar phone with absolutely no features, save a flashlight. She didn't even know how to send or recieve calls. I sat down with her for 3 hours until she could work her phone by herself. Showed her how to program contacts in the contact list, place calls, answer her phone, change her ringtone, set up voicemail, the whole 9 yards. She came back at least once a week just to stop in and say hi to me and ask how I was doing. She's in a nursing home now, so she doesn't come in anymore, but her son comes in to pay the bill.
krickt

Jun 14, 2006, 12:12 PM
You are a good man, I won't tell you how many times the corporate store has sent old folks here for lessons because they don't have the time to deal with them. We get Christmas Cards from several people in assisted living and nursing homes for just that reason!
orphandrew

Jun 14, 2006, 2:30 PM
I definitely don't mind helping out the older folks, it's worth it in the end; I rationalize it that they're old, they might have granddaughters around my age(especially in a college town like Boston). ๐Ÿคฃ

But yes, a lot of customers suck. I hate the ones that try to bully you into lowering the price. A guy in a suit tried to bully me into lowering the price on a v3M Razr at retail to 200 today! Threatened to go to Cingular, and I looked at him with "go ahead; you're in a 5 line contract, is the phone worth 875 to you?". He got pissed I'd called his bluff and walked away from our kiosk in a huff.
Whitehorse

Jun 15, 2006, 4:33 PM
Cingcing has nailed this mf!!! I've seen it, & not just in wireless... Managers cave to get the customer out of their face, making those they supposedly lead look foolish for doing their job! @ another company for which I worked, all the customer had to do was escalate, then they would get all they wanted & more just so they wouldn't bother the executives.

I like the way the place @ which I now work handles escalations. If the previous rep was wrong, it is corrected. If the previous rep was right, that rep is backed up & the first escalation is the last 99.9% of the time.
MargeInovera

Jun 17, 2006, 1:00 PM
As a manager, it's unfortunate the impression left on reps when a manager does something different. Reps/Front Line employees have only but so much authority, and as part of their duties must state and try to enforce store policy. It is only the manager's authority to break policy if there is a specific reason or need. Properly trained / supervised reps should know how to present store policy and amicably escalate to a manager when necessary. Reps shouldn't think of it as the manager "overruling" them, but taking the dangerous responsibility of bending/screwing with policy away from them. Instead of "my manager can't do more than I can" and then getting overruled, reps should say "I don't have the authority to do that but you may talk t...
(continues)
cingcing

Jun 17, 2006, 3:42 PM
Also as a manager. I am not a customer service rep. I will not have my reps call me everytime a customer asks for something special. Policy is there for a reason, there better be a pretty good story and a pleasent attitude if you want me to break policy.

P.S. Thankyou Whitehorse didn't see your post till today.
cingcing

Jun 17, 2006, 5:44 PM
This contributes to the perception that wireless dealers are like used cardealers. And if it worked once, you better bet that customer will do it again.
TIERRA226

Jun 14, 2006, 3:21 PM
Yesterday someone with an $9.99 Regional plan wanted to do an upgrade. I explained that she would have to change her plan because it was an analog plan and the phone she was selecting was digital. She wanted to talk to Verizon and she if they would give her a plan between 9.99 and 39.99. ๐Ÿ˜• End result, they basically repeated what i said. She pulled her "I was a customer for X of years" card but nothing happened. She was mad but need another phone so I sold her a plan with a different company. And yes she still paid more than 9.99. ๐Ÿ˜ At the end it worked out better for me!
lorilicious

Jun 18, 2006, 8:09 AM
I guess because we are used to "the customer is always right mentality" and since we think that we believe that speaking to a higher authority will change things, often doesn't happen but we still want to quench the thirst of getting away with what we want to we keep escalating .. I guess.. that makes sense to me anyways.
"The customer is always right" is BS most of the time
cingcing

Jun 22, 2006, 1:09 PM

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.