Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

Really? Is cell phone useage REALLY blocked at NASCAR Events?

Airwar

Jul 18, 2004, 4:19 AM
Is this true, does some types of cell phone usage interfere with the telemetry for the cars?
SPCSVZWJeff

Jul 18, 2004, 11:24 PM
Airwar,
Call blocking refers to wireless networks being too overloaded and rejecting calls.
At a Nascar event where there are often over 100,000 people concentrated on 1 or 2 cellsites, it is very easy to use all of a cell site's capacity regardless of the technology.

What the customer experiences is a "fast busy" tone and they must retry their call. Usually it is only a matter of one more attempt but it could be a matter of several frustrating attempts. The customer usually doesn't know any thing is wrong and assumes the line they are calling is busy.
A great wireless network blocks less than 1/4 of 1 percent of the total calls. A poor network blocks as high as 5-10% of the calls. Most networks are between 1-5% of all calls blocked....
(continues)
Airwar

Jul 19, 2004, 4:50 AM
Thanks for the answer, I must have went off on a tangent, I have heard talk of proposed technology designed to prevent the use of cell phones in places like theaters, plays, hospitals, churches, legislative floors and I wondered if this could have been a case. Again thanks, another almost rumor defused.
southwestcomm

Jul 19, 2004, 9:41 AM
You are correct about the cellular blocking technology. It is produced in Israel. I try to find an article I read on it a couple months back. It is designed for smaller areas - restaurants, churches, etc - but could be deployed at a larger venue as well.
Thanks to Nextel's Nascar sponsorship Nextel users will never need to worry about lack of coverage at Nascar events. 😁
SPCSVZWJeff

Jul 19, 2004, 12:25 PM
southwestcomm said:
Thanks to Nextel's Nascar sponsorship Nextel users will never need to worry about lack of coverage at Nascar events. 😁

Nextel users will be very happy when they switch to 1.9GHZ and CDMA2000. Nextel won't because they will fall under the same regulations that cellular and PCS are forced to follow.

PS Nextel blocks as fast as any other TDMA system.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.