Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 41 replies

Water Damage

Cigee

Jun 1, 2006, 12:34 PM
Ok so 1 out of 10 customers that come in with phones that have red water indicators admit it got wet. The other 9 swear they have no idea what happened to it and that it does not have water damage. So here is my question. Even though I know the majority if not all of these people are lying, have ya'll ever had a water damaged phone and honestly had no idea until someone told you that it was indeed damaged due to liquid?
captainplooky

Jun 1, 2006, 12:44 PM
Those indicators can often show false positive, as representatives have stated here in the past.

Even though I know the majority if not all of these people are lying

Funny stuff coming from someone paid to lie.
alejandro

Jun 1, 2006, 12:46 PM
Funny coming from someone who does it for fun.
Cigee

Jun 1, 2006, 12:56 PM
I want to know what you do for a living. You know what we all do and are quick to critisize every little thing that we do in our profession. I am not paid to lie and in fact I picked this compay because of their customer service and honest integrity. Plus, I'm not a liar. If the water indicator is red then the phone has been in contact with liquid of some sort. I dont care if you had a wet finger and touched the water indicator. Wet is the key word here. There are no false positives...you made that up. The only possible one is on the X495 which is so white that the white indicator appears pink.....its very light and I would never consider that damage. When it is red....it got wet, period [paragraph. Now, coward....tell us what YOU ...
(continues)
alejandro

Jun 1, 2006, 12:57 PM
you totally played into his claws on that one...
Cigee

Jun 1, 2006, 1:01 PM
Yeah and I really want to know what he does for a living!
alejandro

Jun 1, 2006, 1:03 PM
he doesn't do anything.
captainplooky

Jun 1, 2006, 1:06 PM
🤣

I'm fairly sure you have assigned me a multitude of jobs during your colorful descriptions in the past.
Cigee

Jun 1, 2006, 1:08 PM
Coward 🤣
alejandro

Jun 1, 2006, 1:09 PM
more like troll.
alejandro

Jun 1, 2006, 1:09 PM
I have come to believe you in fact do not have a job, and whether or not you are living with your mom or independently wealthy does not matter, the fact still remains you sit on online forums all day and look for something to say.
captainplooky

Jun 1, 2006, 1:05 PM

There are no false positives...you made that up.

🤣 Smartie

Ok, I even made up that post from the dude who was so bored at work he conducted experiments to see how tempermental they were and posted his results.
Cigee

Jun 1, 2006, 1:15 PM
You are even more of a loser then I thought you were. So what other forum websites do you troll?
alejandro

Jun 1, 2006, 1:16 PM
every single one known to man
captainplooky

Jun 1, 2006, 1:36 PM
Myspace
djdelay

Jun 1, 2006, 1:44 PM
and there goes any shred of credibility you may have had the chance to salvage.

Myspace? I hear that's where Anderson Cooper and Brian Williams go for their hard hitting info too.
Whitehorse

Jun 1, 2006, 4:57 PM
Darn DJ, that's a good one!
Cigee

Jun 1, 2006, 3:16 PM
At least I have a job! 🤣 🤣 🤣
Nikoletta

Jun 1, 2006, 1:21 PM
Did you really honestly expect an answer?
Cigee

Jun 1, 2006, 1:26 PM
Well I hoped but not knowing is better Now I can make fun of him relentlessly because he is either a child or an unemployed a-hole. Either way both coming from such an outspoken tool of dude are worthy of my eternal critisism. 😈
alejandro

Jun 1, 2006, 1:29 PM
the energy and time you waste on him could be spent doing more productive things like counting pennies in your register.
Cigee

Jun 1, 2006, 1:32 PM
Hahaha.....you have no idea how great this is. The loser wont tell us what he does for a living. Tables have turned...now in response to everything he says a comment about his lack thereof of an income will be my rebuttal everytime. I love it. I will never be bored at work again! 😁
captainplooky

Jun 1, 2006, 1:40 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, you are one stupid chick.

I don't respond to personal questions here or anyplace else on the web, including places like Myspace 🤣
Cigee

Jun 1, 2006, 3:22 PM
Well, you know what we all do and critisize it daily. You are on a forum where we discuss our jobs. See cowards hide themselves behind walls and throw stones...they do not step out into the open and take their own punishment. You define cowardess. Stupid...I'm afraid not. 🤣 Seeing as that you refuse to admit what you do, I will conclude that you do not have a job.....and or are around the age of 12-13.
spum

Jun 1, 2006, 3:25 PM
...in which case he wouldn't have a job.

Man, you're stupid. 😉
alejandro

Jun 1, 2006, 3:54 PM
never side with the plooky, you know better.
Cigee

Jun 1, 2006, 4:05 PM
Hey plooky lover.....Learn how to read. Its says AND OR. If you need a grammar lesson, let me know! 😉
spum

Jun 1, 2006, 4:08 PM
Geez, I was making a joke.
Cigee

Jun 1, 2006, 4:12 PM
I know...thats why I winked and called you a plooky lover! 😉
Whitehorse

Jun 1, 2006, 5:50 PM
What the ldi is meant to do is detect water damage or moisture intrusion. I've read in some other threads the mention of condensation - can happen & does. Another thing that screws up ldi's & phones is steam - people that keep the phone in the bathroom while they shower or work in an environment where steam is present. The nature of steam allows it to permeate the phone & the ldi.

Is the LDI perfect? Of course not. Have there been issues with non-triggered ldi's being sent in for repair & coming back triggered? Yes. Is it pretty darn reliable Yes. Why? Because it's simple. Liquid - not necessarily water - will trigger it.

What is the percentage of falsely triggered LDIs in the real world? No study I know of, but I'd say less than 2%.
alejandro

Jun 1, 2006, 12:48 PM
no, but i think a couple specific models places the spot in such a bad location and it was probably designed so poorly that it would bleed easier than any other.
alejandro

Jun 1, 2006, 12:49 PM
And there have been times sending a phone out for repair where those indicators gave no indication but the phone came back liquid damage from the manufacturers anyway.
Cigee

Jun 1, 2006, 12:58 PM
Thats because there are water indicators inside the phone as well. Like my phone has had water damage for sure but the water indicator is still white because I poured water on the front of it, not the back where the indicator is.
alejandro

Jun 1, 2006, 1:00 PM
yeah, the main board gets corroded easily regardless of the outside indicator.
alternals

Jun 1, 2006, 12:48 PM
no but i remember when the ax5000 came out for alltel the sticker on the battery was a light purple color, it made them all look liquid damaged out of the box, but it bled to a full pink when it really got wet.
djdelay

my brother swore it when I pointed it out, but then remembered that he had been standing in a monsoon on the phone. so I guess my answer is no.
krickt

Well, we had a phone go to Motorola Repair without a turned water indicator and came back with a turned water indicator. If we hadn't taken a picture of both the water indicator and the inside of the phone they wouldn't have fixed it. I truly believe that in really cold times that condensation can get inside the phone boards and cause corrosion, but I that doesn't turn the indicators red.
alejandro

Jun 1, 2006, 12:59 PM
yes, motorola scrutinizes the board regardless of indicator... do you send it to indiana or texas?
krickt

Jun 1, 2006, 1:51 PM
Texas, but we had to talk to Bangledesh to get the situation fixed.
Insert Witty Name Here

Jun 1, 2006, 1:58 PM
Yes. My bottom charger connectors were damaged and I didn't know but once the tech told me, I realized baby spit was the culprit.
krickt

Jun 1, 2006, 2:16 PM
I've told this story before, but you just reminded me of it. We had a customer that came in and all three water indicators (inside the phone and under the battery) were flaming red. The data connection port was rusty and the phone was stuck on headset and wouldn't charge. When we told her there was liquid damage she proceeded to get very angry and said that her phone had never been in water. She tried to snatch her phone out of my husband's hand and it fell on the floor. Her 1 yo son picked it up and put it in his slobbery mouth. My husband said, there's your liquid. She said "What do you mean that is liquid. It's never been near any water and other liquids shouldn't count as getting the phone wet!" We couldn't help her any further,...
(continues)
danclang

Jun 1, 2006, 4:50 PM
The fact that the customer brought the phone to the store for someone to look at indicates that the phone is malfunctioning. The fact that the liquid damage indicator is positive (red) means that the phone has had a relationship with some sort of liquid. Can't be a false positive when phone shows signs of damage (the malfunction).
Manufacturere malfunctions do not cause the indicator to turn red.

🙄

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.