Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 47 replies

Stupid

katman_blue

May 26, 2006, 4:45 PM
Stupid stuff that annoys the crap out of me

"Thats an easy number to remember"
...It doesnt matter WHAT number it is, some annoying person always says that. The only person who really needs to memorize your number these days is yourself. If you cant memorize it after the first, second or third time, then you probably have a difficult time memorizing your street address also and there is little hope for yourself.

"Do you have (insert random product)?"
"No we dont carry that"
"AWWWWW...ARE YOU SERIOUS?"
...No, I wasn't serious. I just felt like lying to you for the purpose of not earning commission.

"Do you guys carry cingular?"
"No theres a cingular store next to payless shoes directly behind us"
"Oh because my phones broken...
(continues)
alejandro

May 26, 2006, 4:59 PM
this doesnt really annoy me, and it can never be stopped but i wish it would...

"What is your phone number?"

"I don't know my phone number, I never call myself"
-T---Micah-

May 26, 2006, 6:39 PM
I get that at least once a day. What a ridiculous excuse. ๐Ÿ˜ก
So Cal 1155

Jun 11, 2006, 1:39 AM
One that I get, which I can understand but still gets annoying is...

"Hi, how can I help you?"
"I need to make a pmnt on my Nextel acct."
"Oh, sorry we can't take Nextel pmnts here, we don't have their pmnt system yet."
"I could've sworn it said 'Sprint' outside .." and then they leave... ๐Ÿ˜ก
So Cal 1155

Jun 11, 2006, 10:44 AM
Or another one that happens on a day-to-day basis is...Now keep in mind this conversation is going on in Spanish...

"May I help you?"
blusdrmr

Jun 14, 2006, 5:58 PM
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!! Spanish! I had one moron come in here to pay his bill. The dude does not speak one lick of English. He hands the bill over to one of my employees and makes a motion that he wants to pay his bill. $259.00. She puts the payment in the system and he hands her a $100 bill. "No", she says, "you were paying the full amount." He looks at her funny and turns around and walks out the door while she is trying to talk to him. The moron gets away with ripping me off for $159.00 because we have no way of backing out of the payment system we use (budgetphone) once the payment is posted. Needless to say, we no longer put the payment in the system until we see the cash.
So Cal 1155

Jun 14, 2006, 7:11 PM
๐Ÿ˜ณ That seriously sucks. I guess you can consider that a lesson learned. I never post a payment without getting the cash in my hand first. Have you hired any spanish speaking people yet?
MargeInovera

Jun 15, 2006, 1:50 PM
We use budget phone too. As a non COR store, customers get furious over having to pay a fee for the service and only in cash. I told one offended customer there were other payment options that would credit his account immediately, to which he replied "I know what my &*%&^ options are! You don't have to tell me what my &$^^& options are!" So I told him that his only option NOW was to leave the store as I would not take his payment. ๐Ÿ‘ฟ
And we haven't hired any spanish employees. I think we're hoping against hope that they might actually choose to learn English instead of expecting we'll cater to them to make THEIR lives easier.
๐Ÿคฃ
So Cal 1155

Jun 15, 2006, 2:05 PM
At my store it's pretty much a requirement to speak spanish. We have a total of 11 reps, an ASM, and of course our Store Manager. we all speak spanish except the Store Manager, but she tries... ๐Ÿ˜
blusdrmr

Jun 19, 2006, 8:54 AM
DING! DING! We have a winner! Why should I have to learn THEIR language?!?!?!? I am not in their country!
blusdrmr

Jun 19, 2006, 8:52 AM
I don't either. The girl who was covering the store for me that, obviously, did not.

As for hiring spanish speaking people.....um, no. First of all, I am the only one who works here unless I need someone to watch the store for me. Then it's either my wife or this person who screwed up. She did not mean to do it, but it happened. I just know that this guy KNEW how to speak english at least a little because when I called him and told him he needed to come by and pay the rest of his bill, he replied "how much?". Then he went back to not understanding english for some reason. I told him that I was going to turn his phone off if he did not pay it by the next day at 5:00pm. I found out that he called Customer Care and talked with them...
(continues)
So Cal 1155

Jun 19, 2006, 10:45 AM
๐Ÿ‘€ ..... ๐Ÿ˜ฒ THERE HE IS !!!! GET 'EM !!! ๐Ÿ˜ˆ !!! lol ๐Ÿคฃ
Daenerys

May 26, 2006, 6:57 PM
Ohhh my God I HATE that ๐Ÿ‘ฟ

If that's the case, how do you know your address if you never send yourself mail? ๐Ÿ™„
Mid_Isle

May 27, 2006, 12:24 PM
To be fair, I usually have to think hard to remember my Postal Code. (Zip code to you yanks.)
Sholyhit

May 26, 2006, 7:03 PM
Or I like when people are like "I wanna pay my bill." I say ok. What's your number and they are like "Why do you need to know that?!" in a really snotty tone.

Well... i suppose I could just take your money and laugh at you as I put it in my pocket, but I'm pretty sure you actually want me to put the payment on your account...
xIsamuTM

May 26, 2006, 11:40 PM
My veiled insult to that:
" (friendly laugh) It 'sokay, You'd be suprised how many people don't remember thier numbers, kinda like a social or something. Amazing how depandant we've become on computer memory over our own. (friendly/nervious laugh) Kinda makes me wonder how some peole give their firends their numbers (smile, maybe an other laugh)"

or when someone's talking about a kid's line and they don't know the number. "(level, but obviously joking tone) Eek. I hope nothing happens where you're gunna need it. Gimmie a second while i look it up for ya."

I've only had one person sofar catch what I was really saying to them. sucks when you've been insuled, know the insulter's right, and can't say anything back to it.
alejandro

May 27, 2006, 10:19 AM
thats a bit mean.
UOQuack

May 27, 2006, 10:42 AM
Well, it IS annoying when they look at you like an idiot for a) not knowing their phone number, and b) expecting them to know their own phone number. Then they get mad at me because I can only access their account with a phone number or account number. Sure, I could get the phone number off their phone for them, but if they treat me like crap, I will tell them I can't help them until they come back with their phone number. I do love finding ways to give jack-asses the treatment they so richly deserve.
Don.Mike

May 27, 2006, 10:46 AM
agreed
blusdrmr

Jun 19, 2006, 9:08 AM
Here's one:

just got a phone call and it went like this:

Me: Thank you for calling SunCom, this is Dan.

Customer: Is this the SunCom place?

Me: Yes

Customer: Do you carry accessories for Sony Ericsson?

Me: Yes, depends on the model, what are you looking for?

Customer: I just bought an i930 and I was looking for the portable keyboard.

Me: i930? That model does not sound familiar? Where did you get your phone from?

Customer: From ******** Telecom. (note: These guys are the local Nextel Exclusive store)

Me: Sir, who is your service with?

Customer: Nextel.

Me: Sir, Nextel only uses Motorola phones, not Sony Ericsson and you are calling a SunCom store.

Customer: So, you don't carry Nextel?

Me: Um, no.....
(continues)
Insert Witty Name Here

May 26, 2006, 5:14 PM
katman_blue said:

"No we dont carry that"
...No, I wasn't serious. I just felt like lying to you for the purpose of not earning commission.

Are your "AWWWWW...ARE YOU SERIOUS?" questions followed by creepy 10 second stares?

Mine are.
guido1869

May 26, 2006, 5:32 PM
What's your phone number
"Do you want my cell or my home number?"
Daenerys

May 26, 2006, 6:58 PM
I've had customers who, upon me asking for their CELL phone number, give me their home phone. Account then won't pull up. They say "oh, you wanted my cell phone number?" ๐Ÿคจ
So Cal 1155

Jun 11, 2006, 10:54 AM
๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ I get that a lot...
shortnblonde28

Jun 9, 2006, 12:14 PM
I've had customers that come in and just give me the last 4 of their cell number and look at me like I'm supposed to know the first 3 digits. ๐Ÿคจ
MotoJoe22

May 26, 2006, 6:49 PM
katman_blue said:
Stupid stuff that annoys the crap out of me

"Thats an easy number to remember"
...It doesnt matter WHAT number it is, some annoying person always says that. The only person who really needs to memorize your number these days is yourself. If you cant memorize it after the first, second or third time, then you probably have a difficult time memorizing your street address also and there is little hope for yourself.

"No we dont carry that"

"Do you guys carry cingular?"
"No theres a cingular store next to payless shoes directly be
(continues)
UOQuack

May 27, 2006, 10:48 AM
I have to admit, I agree with the second part of this post. I love hearing stories about how people ruined phones.

For example, the 16 year old girl who told me that she dropped her cell phone into her soda while she was driving. Which means, she had one hand on an OPEN cup of soda (a disaster in the making by itself), and the other hand on the cell phone. I assume she was using the Force to drive. She hit a bump, the phone jumped out of her hand, and "sploosh" right into her soda.

Or, the pool cleaner guy who got his feet tangled up in some cleaning equipment, and was somehow yanked into the water, cell phone still in his pocket.

Or the girl who threw her phone at her now ex-boyfriend and broke it.

I'm sure we all have humor...
(continues)
Don.Mike

May 27, 2006, 10:55 AM
UOQuack said:
Or the girl who threw her phone at her now ex-boyfriend and broke it.

all the time. rage breakage is one of the top problems. boyfriend snapped phone in 2 while angry, threw phone at someone, threw phone at wall after arument on phone. and without incident they are angry when they are still 16 months from upgrade eligibility.
Sholyhit

May 27, 2006, 3:07 PM
Best one I ever heard:

Guy walked out to his car. Dropped his phone in his driveway in a puddle. Stepped on it. Got in his truck. Backed over his phone. Came home on lunch to look for it and drove over it again. When he got out of the car, he stepped on it again, this time looking down to see what he stepped it on. Brought it back to the store, still sopping wet, and demanded another one for free because he has a 1 yr manufacturer's warranty on it.
mrgoon

May 27, 2006, 11:43 AM
cust comes into the store "yeah my phone wont seem to power on?"
me "oh let me take a look"
now while taking off the battery and examining the phone customer interjects with
"yeah i dropped it in the toilet"
at this point i drop the phone and say "okey dokey your gonna have to use insurance"
UOQuack

May 27, 2006, 12:18 PM
Yeah that's why we keep a bottle of hand sanitizer at each of our desks.
shortnblonde28

Jun 9, 2006, 12:20 PM
I have soooo many customers that have done this!!! (Including myself) ๐Ÿ˜ Mainly females
blusdrmr

Jun 19, 2006, 9:13 AM
I had an old couple get two phones from me and the husband dropped his in the toilet one week after they got them. They came back in and had to buy another phone since they did not have insurance. I took the phone, cleaned it up and could not get the keypad to work. My wife had the same phone and my kid had stepped on it and broke the outer display. I "Frankenstiened" the two phones and one of them became a dummy phone afterwards. The other, now working one, became my wife's phone. Good old V180. So easy to work on.
craptacularwireless

May 27, 2006, 1:48 PM
Me: What's your number sir/ma'am?
Them: Hmm... let's see... 805-555-3247?
Me: Are you not sure?
Them: No, I never call myself.
Me: Do you know your home phone number?
Them: Yes, it's 805-324-2323.
Me: Do you make it a habbit of calling your home phone?
Them: What do you mean?
Me: Well, you memorized your home phone number, why didn't you do the same for your cell phone?
Them: ๐Ÿคจ ๐Ÿคญ
craptacularwireless

May 27, 2006, 1:56 PM
Them: I wan't to know what plan I'm on.
Me: Ok, I can check that for you.
Them: Ok, my name is Billy Maddison, but it's under my gf's name.
Me: Do you know the last four digits of her SS?
Them: No, but her name is Sandy Cox.
Me: Um, I'm gonna need the last four digits of her SS and the phone number in order to look up the account.
Them: You can't just do it by name?
Me: Sir, there are probably hundreds of people with the name Sandy Cox. How would they be able to distinguish between individuals?
Them: ๐Ÿคจ
Septhian

Jun 9, 2006, 12:46 PM
Today I upgraded this line.

Customer: wait, it's not working!

Me: ๐Ÿคจ it should be all set now.

Customer:I don't hear the dial tone...

Me: er.. you won't, dial and hit send.

This customer was terribly embarrassed, her line has in fact been active for 10 yrs.
Vox Dei

Jun 9, 2006, 1:13 PM
I've had that call a few times. Ummm there's no dial tone on my phone. Nope not supposed to me. Apparently there is a company in the EU that is making a cell phone with a dial tone to keep people from being confused. The dial tone doesn't do anything it's just a sound the phone makes when you flip it open ๐Ÿคฃ
Jaysin6940

Jun 9, 2006, 3:38 PM
Yesterday cust. comes in... Asian family, screaming in their language to each other. They finally get to me and I realize when they speak english they are the quietest people ever. So eventually my dog (since he's the only one with ears good enough to hear them talking to me) tells me they want a razr upgrade. I go get my last pink razr out of the back and show it to them, the mom starts yelling to the daughter again in their language, they decide not to go with the phone because the plastic that covers the casing is peeling, even after I explained that it was just due to the recent heat. She actually told me she was going to keep the wrap on it to protect the phone better. My jaw just about hit the floor at that stupidity. To make things be...
(continues)
bomb Diggity

Jun 14, 2006, 5:09 PM
Yeah, my brother is stupid... ๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ
bomb Diggity

Jun 14, 2006, 6:01 PM
Ya, ok...
colione112

Jun 11, 2006, 12:11 AM
How about the person that comes in because their phone isn't working....

You push the power button and it comes to life... They act like you saved the day then ask how you got it to work....

At least once a day I get that...
krickt

Jun 14, 2006, 5:07 PM
I'm thinking of charging a quarter for that particular brain fart. I've "reactivated" three phones like that today, and yes, that was the word the last customer used.
So Cal 1155

Jun 14, 2006, 4:37 PM
For some unknown reason I get this a lot:

*Customer walking up to my register*

*Customer gives name*

Cust: Juan Lopez...

Me: Gabriel...

*We both stare at each other w/ blank faces, and remain quiet.* ๐Ÿ˜ณ ๐Ÿ˜ณ

I will wait for the customer to say the next thing...it can sometimes take a while.
burgundy

Jun 15, 2006, 3:21 PM
the best is when a customer claims that they charged their phone after it went completely dead but when they flipped it open it wouldn't turn back on... i usually respond by pushing the power button and explaining that it doesn't just come on automatically.
Behold_A_Pale_Horse

Jun 20, 2006, 10:20 AM
In all the months I've been reading phonescoop (without being able to participate,) I've never once read about this particular stupidity so here it is:

We keep ink pens next to the signature pads along with a stylus. The stylus is for signing credit card purchases. When we ask the customer to sign the service contract we lay it on the signature pad and they use the ink pen so we catch an electronic copy of the signature as well as a paper copy. Well...

... I got so sick and tired of people using the ink pens ON THE SIGNATURE PADS and then blaming ME for "putting a pen there" ๐Ÿ‘ฟ that I went and pulled all the ink pens out of the pads they were tied to!
xIsamuTM

Jun 20, 2006, 1:05 PM
I get the opposite. I have people telling me my pen's out of ink, I tell them that's the stylus (or stylist, as it's written in the back room) and the pen's the one on the metal chain.
cingcing

Jun 22, 2006, 1:07 PM

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.