Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 89 replies

Why would we want to?

Nikoletta

Apr 21, 2006, 5:35 PM
Why would we WANT to pay your termination fee with the other company just to entice you to join us? You're proving right off the bat that you don't put any value on your obligations.

Is it even legal? I'm pretty sure we've had this conversation here before but how many companies will do that? Try to convince somebody to switch by either paying the ETF or offering them a credit on their account in the amount of the ETF?
captainplooky

Apr 21, 2006, 5:51 PM

You're proving right off the bat that you don't put any value on your obligations.

That is highly presumptuous.

What other stereotypes do you subscribe to?
djdelay

Apr 21, 2006, 5:59 PM
Ta-Da!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ladies and gentlemen....I give you Plooky! I knew he'd show up with some asinine comment where he quoted a random part of someone else's post and assumed his own bias into it.
axess_denied

Apr 25, 2006, 7:39 PM
Isn't that his M.O. (Modus Operendi, just in case you get confused Plooky.) Anyway, the thread is pointless now that he has chimed in. Have fun to the rest of you who plan on arguing with a man that has the same amount of brain power as your shoelaces. 🤣 Plooky you are a f*cking retard (and I mean that in the nicest way) and I hope it is painful to be as stupid as you seem.
captainplooky

Apr 25, 2006, 8:20 PM
Ok, so what are the people who stereotype and complain about people fulfilling their obligation as stated by the contract only because they do not like the choice the customer has made?
VzwRsR

Apr 22, 2006, 8:55 AM
captainplooky said:

You're proving right off the bat that you don't put any value on your obligations.

captainplooky said:

If the shoe fit's?
Vox Dei

Apr 22, 2006, 12:53 PM
Do you understand the term Stereotype? If i tell you i lied to someone and then you believe i'm a lier that doesn't mean your stereotypeing me.
uscingulair

Apr 23, 2006, 3:19 PM
if you lie to someone you are a liar. If you told me you lied to someone i would call you a liar. even if you did not lie you did to me just then when you told me you lied to somebody. isn't that the truth and not a stero type?
Vox Dei

Apr 25, 2006, 3:13 PM
that's what i just said and that's what i think.
captainplooky

Apr 25, 2006, 4:20 PM
Where is the lie being told?

Contracts have specific stipulations for terminating them. If a customer follows those stipulations how, pray tell, are they lying?

Furthermore, to say that everyone who breaks a contract is a liar is a ridiculous statement.

It is much like saying every representative in the cell phone industry is a jaded shell of a person with no soul who enjoys nothing more then ripping off people and screwing them any way and every way they possibly can.

Now, while my statement is also a stereotype, it more applicable because of the body of evidence that supports it by reps who have made their position quite clear.

Whereas, the contract statement is not based in evidence but more on the ill informed opinions ...
(continues)
Vox Dei

Apr 25, 2006, 4:55 PM
I was using me lieing as a hyptothetical situation (i never referenced this person once in my situation). Someone makeing a contract and then trying to get out of said contract without following the stipulations for getting out of said contract is someone who does not put value in his obligations. Noone has stereotyped anyone. The only person who has used the words "Anyone who..." in this conversation is you. We are just making conclusions based on what the customer said.

The point was if i say i lied then i'm a lier. If i say i broke contracts in the past then obviously i don't put value in those contracts.
captainplooky

Apr 25, 2006, 4:57 PM

Someone makeing a contract and then trying to get out of said contract without following the stipulations for getting out of said contract is someone who does not put value in his obligations.

This is not happening. The bottom line for whomever owns the contract is that service is rendered for the duration of the contract and paid for or that an ETF is paid.

So please explain, how is the customer not fulfilling the obligation of the contract?

It makes no sense to me.
Vox Dei

Apr 25, 2006, 4:59 PM
By not wanting to pay the ETF
captainplooky

Apr 25, 2006, 5:05 PM
It doesn't matter if they do or don't!

If the ETF is paid, regardless of who pays it, the company that owns the contract can't complain in the slightest because their conditions have been met!

Obviously some companies are willing to pay the ETF for a customer's business. If your company is not, that is by choice.
kapwww

Apr 27, 2006, 2:18 PM
I subscribe to all stereotypes because in every one of them, there is a little nugget of truth. The trick comes in not applying all stereotypes to every person within said type and knowing what the nugget is. It's the direction from which you view the stereotype. For instance, my wife was a waitress for many years. It was known that certain types of people didn't leave great tips. It didn't matter what restaurant she was in. In all of the jobs I have had dealing with the public, there are certain traits that can be easily attached to certain types of people. Does that mean that everyone of a certain persuasion is the same? Of course not. That would be a stupid assumption. As humans, we tend to associate ourselves with people who ar...
(continues)
Cigee

Apr 21, 2006, 6:01 PM
Yeah because we are in the business of screwing other companies. 🙄 Think of the chaos that would happen if companies started doing that. It's just wrong. Great post Nikki!
captainplooky

Apr 25, 2006, 3:55 PM
🤣

You do realize that what you describe in your response happens in business all the time?

Funny stuff.
Mid_Isle

Apr 25, 2006, 4:13 PM
Go away Plooky. No one likes you.
captainplooky

Apr 25, 2006, 4:14 PM
Translation:

Please do not force us to visualize and realize our own stupidity by pointing out the discrepancies in our logic. That scares us because it upsets our status quo.
Mid_Isle

Apr 25, 2006, 4:21 PM
No, we just don't like you. Get lost.
Cigee

Agreed. You are such a friggin hypocrite Plookykins....you think all represenatives are corrupt and want to screw their customers especially all of us and now you are defending screwing other companies over. You just like arguing, I think. You don't have any friends to play with, do you? Thats sad....but not shocking.
captainplooky

Apr 25, 2006, 5:03 PM
What world do you live in?

Do you think when a business drives a competitor out of the market they hold a party between the two firms to celebrate?

Do you even understand some of the tatics business use as leveraged buyouts to quash their competitors.

Cigee
Yeah because we are in the business of screwing other companies. Rolling Eyes Think of the chaos that would happen if companies started doing that. It's just wrong.

Try reading the WSJ and waking up to reality.
Cigee

Apr 25, 2006, 5:18 PM
You are missing the point completely, as always. The point is that it is wrong. It is very simple. And I still think you are a hypocrite.
captainplooky

Apr 25, 2006, 5:19 PM
Honey, I seriously doubt you do much thinking at all if any, so no worries.
Cigee

Apr 25, 2006, 5:29 PM
Cute. See the difference with you and I is that I think and write for myself. You attempt to think for other people or think you know what we are thinking by copy and pasting everything we say. Then you crop it to make it seem like you are so obviously right. It's really pathetic and you are easily read. When you have no rebut to what someone says you insult them. Now that requires a whole hell of a lot of thinking, huh?
Insert Witty Name Here

Apr 22, 2006, 4:01 PM
Actually, Nextel/Sprint did that exact thing about one month ago for a customer. He had service with Verizon and established service with Nextel. Turns out he was still under contract for another year and he came back in here to cancel. While on the phone with the cancellation dept. they told him to go ahead and port his number from Verizon and they would credit his Nextel acct the ETF.

I couldn't believe it. It is seriously the first time I have ever witnessed an awesome thing from Customer Care.
soldmysoul4cellular

Apr 24, 2006, 2:35 PM
it's illegal but there are ways around it
Vox Dei

Apr 25, 2006, 3:28 PM
How is it illegal? If a company wants to give you $175 for signing up with them then how can there be anything illegal about that? As far as i know there is nothing illegal about buying buisness from someone. Where i work we will give you up to $150 off your first bill if you sign a new contract. Of course you don't get the discount off a phone if you choose that option but it's there if you want it.
Cigee

Apr 25, 2006, 6:02 PM
No offense but that's kind of shady......seriously no offense to you, just to your company.
Vox Dei

Apr 25, 2006, 6:08 PM
Why? for those people who already have their own phone for one reason or another like they are switching from pay and talk. We still want some reason to get them to sign a contract so we give them a bill credit. What's the difference between a $150 discount off a new phone or $150 bill credit?
Cigee

Apr 25, 2006, 6:39 PM
Because it's luring people to break their contracts but the fact that ya'll don't give away free or discounted phones if they choose to do that IS pretty cool.
Vox Dei

Apr 25, 2006, 6:49 PM
Ya. usually its done with pay and talk phones (prepaid) switching over to a plan. Or some smart people realise that we sell unactivated prepaid phones for 129.99 and then you can activate that phone on a regular plan with a contract and get $150.00 credit. You pay a $10 activation fee online and just made $10. Or you can sign a contract with that phone outright and get the phone for free and pay a $35 activation fee. But hey what ever tickles your tummy.
captainplooky

Apr 25, 2006, 7:15 PM
What is so bad about terminating a contract if the stipulations for terminating that contract are followed?

Say what you mean! You want to keep people trapped with your company. Plain and simple.
Cigee

Apr 27, 2006, 5:30 PM
Yes that's right, you got me, I just want everyone to stay with my company. No smart one I think it's rude for ANY company to do it. I semi agree with one stipulation of it and you HAVE to argue with me. For heavens sakes, get a life or at least find something better to do.
Nikoletta

Apr 26, 2006, 11:41 AM
I like that. You can get a nice credit on your bill OR you can choose a free phone, not both but one or the other. It's more flexible and yes, if you have your own phone already you kind of get rewarded for recycling.
BrokenCellPhone

Apr 25, 2006, 11:11 AM
we would want to because it doesn't cost us anything to issue a bill credit, but if it convinces someone to sign up, it would make US some money.

you don't like to make money, Nikoletta?
cingcing

Apr 25, 2006, 11:30 AM
It DOES cost us money. Usually about the first three months of the agreement. Maybe more. That means that it takes even longer to make a profit. I'm with Nikki here, see you when you are ready to pay the ETF or your out of contract.

If you buy a drill at Home depot and it brakes, You don't go to Lowes and ask them for one for free do you?
BrokenCellPhone

Apr 25, 2006, 12:31 PM
no but i don't pay for 'monthly drill service' either. there's always going to be a rep or a store willing to give these people what they want to make some money. with commision systems slashed in less than half, many reps are in 'survival mode' these days.
cingcing

Apr 25, 2006, 12:36 PM
I know that my store makes a little more than most ETF's per activation. I wouldn't do it cause it's just not profitable. I would make 10 or 20 dollars on the deal just so they can go cancel and I get a 200 dollar charge back.
Nikoletta

Apr 25, 2006, 12:53 PM
It's weaselly too, because when you sign up for service and agree to a contract you are giving your commitment, you're saying I will do this, I'll stay it out for however long in order to get some discount on a phone or simply because that is a requirement for having the service. You also agree that if you choose to break the contract you're going to pay a set amount. That's what you've bound yourself too. Nobody held a gun to your head and said you MUST sign here, you MUST have this service, there are options out there that give you no contract, you just don't get as much out of it. The contract also entitles you to better prices on minutes and better range than a non-contract type carrier can offer.

If carriers go around offering to...
(continues)
captainplooky

Apr 25, 2006, 4:02 PM
Are you freaking kidding me?

Contracts can and often are broken and not just in your little cell phone world darling.

The ETF is there for several reasons. One of which is to try to force customers to remain with crappy providers. The other is to allow you to break the contract by paying the fee.

It sounds like you are an advocate for any and all means necessary to keep a customer regardless of if they are happy with their service and are getting the full use they deem required from it. I imagine, you were an advocate for prohibiting phone number porting because of it allowing customers to switch carriers as well.

Regardless, your pseudo understanding and interpretation of contracts as instruments of commerce is laughable.
Vox Dei

Apr 25, 2006, 5:20 PM
I don't know about other company's but at ours noone forced you to take a contract. We have all of our phones clearly listed at a No contract price and you are more than welcome to take that. But if you want me to give you a phone for free then we expect you to stay with our company so we can make enough profit to pay for that phone plus some because we are a profit organisation. I'm not going to lie, we are a for profit company and we make alot of it. We are not the cheapest but we have the best reception out of anyone based on a third party company. I am very happy to work for my company we have a reputation as having the best customer service in North america (don't think that includes mexico).

We provide a service and if you wa...
(continues)
captainplooky

Apr 25, 2006, 5:31 PM
WTF are you talking about?

The contracts say either stay with us X amount of time or a pay an ETF that is Y amount of dollars.

we want to know that you are going to be with us for a length of time and not going to cancel tomorrow and we are out a phone that we just bought for you.

Then why don't the contracts stipulate this? They don't because the company is taking a risk. When you take a risk and the outcome does not meet your expectations you have noone to blame but yourself.
Vox Dei

Apr 25, 2006, 5:40 PM
WHAT!!!? What are you talking about? yes the contract say you stay with us for a certian amount of time or you pay us an ETF for the time you arn't with us according to the contract. That's exacly what the contract stipulates. Are you argueing or agreeing? Are you saying the contract should say WHY we want you to sign a contract? Why doesn't matter in the contract just that you do. If you want me to tell you why i'm more than happy but seriously these contracts are long enough that they don't need extra useless stuff in them.
captainplooky

Apr 25, 2006, 5:49 PM
/shrug

So... if a person stays for the duration of the contract or the ETF is paid, the conditions of the contract are met and there is no reason whatsoever to complain!
Vox Dei

Apr 25, 2006, 5:53 PM
captainplooky said:
The ETF is there for several reasons. One of which is to try to force customers to remain with crappy providers. The other is to allow you to break the contract by paying the fee..

That's what i was disputing. It's not to try and force someone to remain with you. Like i said we don't require you to take a contract. But we gave you something for it (usually a phone or discount off a phone) and expect something in return. Either your buisness or the ETF.
BrokenCellPhone

Apr 26, 2006, 11:27 AM
Nikoletta, you must work for Sprint/Nextel, you simply must!

anyhoo, captainplooky, you are my hero!

I'm on my knees on my sales floor, diggin around underneath displays for peanuts.

Meanwhile, my company is spending millions on "new uniform shirts". New uniform shirts completely different than the ones they spent millions on last year.

Therefore, I am not too quick to try to save my company money. My manager has given me full rights to buy out contracts. How you likin' me now, Nikoletta? Either play the game and have a chance at winning, or go on as you are supposed to and make no money. It's your choice. I'll make your money if you don't want it.
cingcing

Apr 25, 2006, 4:03 PM
Amen
captainplooky

Apr 25, 2006, 4:04 PM
🤣

You people are silly.
cingcing

Apr 25, 2006, 4:10 PM
For the record I was agreeing with Nikki not Plooky.
captainplooky

Apr 25, 2006, 4:13 PM
Yes, and that is exactly why I said you are silly.

What exactly do you agree with? That contracts have methods to terminate them? Congratulations Sherlock, you solved that mystery.

Seriously though, if you all took your head out of your companies ass you'd probably see how stupid some of these comments truly are in regards to contracts and business.
cingcing

Apr 25, 2006, 4:22 PM
I don't appreciate you talking down to me like that. It hurts my feelings.
Nikoletta

Apr 25, 2006, 1:20 PM
It must seriously be "Pay my ETF" day. I've had THREE people today expect us to pay their ETF (one was for three lines) with other carriers (mostly Cingular) and then on top of that they want free RAZRs (or Sidekicks.)
captainplooky

Apr 25, 2006, 4:03 PM
Boo freaking hoo.

Could you possibly whine about doing your job anymore then you already do?

I honestly do not think it is possible.
cingcing

Apr 25, 2006, 4:06 PM
That's what we do here. Don't like it? Go annoy someone else.
captainplooky

Apr 25, 2006, 4:12 PM
Actually, I do not believe the origin of this forum is to complain and whine daily about the job you have been hired to do.

It's quite ironic though the way some of you speak about contracts and then complain about your jobs. For you see, many of the same values you apply to contracts can be applied to how you conduct yourself at your job, only thing is, quite often you all fail to apply it and create alternate value systems for essentially the same concept.
cingcing

Maybe I'm just stupid, but you didn't really say anything.
KrazyJoe

Apr 25, 2006, 4:26 PM
Rich Brome said:
Welcome! This forum is for employees in the industry to discuss issues that affect them. It was created in response to a suggestion by a forum member (see? I do listen 😉 ) who rightly pointed out that employee discussions were "drowning out" consumer issues in some of the carrier forums.

Forum Guidelines:

The idea of this forum is a place for employees to discuss employee issues. Here are few important points I'd like everyone to keep in mind:

• Please stay on-topic. This is not the place to discuss off-topic things that have nothing to do with the industry. That place, as always, is the "Lounge" forum.

• Rants are okay, but there are limits. As in all the for
(continues)
captainplooky

Apr 25, 2006, 4:35 PM
Oh yeah, I agree that rants are allowed.

However, when posters choose to post daily about the daily annoyances they have on the job, I believe that is going a bit overboard.

Really though, who cares if they received x amount of calls asking for y. Or if x person asked y question.

It's funny in some regards though. For all their complaints about customers who give them a job, they sound as bad if not worse then the very people they complain about.
KrazyJoe

Apr 25, 2006, 4:40 PM
See, plookster, this is where you don't quite catch on. This is more-or-less insider humor. We all hear the same stuff from customers daily. So, when somebody posts a story about it, we can relate and find humor in it.

I personally find Niki's stories to be quite entertaining. Her stories (among the stories of others) further prove that stupidity has no bounds. And it also helps to reassure yourself that no matter how dumb the mental midget stands before you is, there's somebody even worse out there. And you can rest assured knowing somebody else had to deal with that person instead of you.
captainplooky

Funny.

You focus on customers, yet I see the same mental midgets as representatives.

I wonder if 411 operators have a forum where they daily post about people calling in to ask for the time or some other such nonsense.
FONEFRENZY

Apr 26, 2006, 12:39 AM
actually, i have a relative who is an operator, and her and her coworkers get together twice a week after work to discuss just that...not quite a forum but the same idea.
Vox Dei

Apr 26, 2006, 2:12 PM
Does she have really old systems too? My Ex was a 411 operator and they were using old terminal systems. They can't get email or anything. She said she could tell when a text was comming in because her screen would go weird just before she got a text 😛.
Mid_Isle

Plooky

Could you possibly shut up for once?

I honestly do not think it is possible.
captainplooky

Apr 25, 2006, 4:23 PM
Do you often try to silence people who have contradictory positions?

Ignoring the truth doesn't make it go away.
Mid_Isle

Apr 25, 2006, 4:32 PM
The truth is most of us don't like our jobs based on our customers. We do it because it pays the bills. I personally don't even like cell phones. But, I have to pay the rent and eat.

Do you even work for a cellular company? In ANY capacity? If not, shut it.
whiskeysour

Apr 25, 2006, 5:28 PM
I'm honestly confused as to why anyone responds to plooky at all.
Nikoletta

Apr 26, 2006, 11:08 AM
Me too.
Nikoletta

Apr 26, 2006, 11:09 AM
No sweety he doesn't, he has refused to give any information on what he does other than his ridiculous and self important quote about 'my job is to keep the American economy from ripping itself apart.' I have the exact quote someplace because it was just too ridiculous and I couldn't honestly think of anything stupider. I'll find it and give it to you if you want.
captainplooky

Apr 26, 2006, 11:18 AM

I have the exact quote someplace because it was just too ridiculous and I couldn't honestly think of anything stupider.

Not even your ill fated marriage to the pseudo pedophile twenty odd some years your senior?

I'd like to see the quote you reference if Mid_Isle doesn't.
KrazyJoe

Apr 26, 2006, 11:20 AM
Stop making person attacks. It's really childish. 🙄
KrazyJoe

Apr 26, 2006, 11:20 AM
*personal
Nikoletta

Apr 26, 2006, 11:46 AM
It's also, incidentally, against the rules of the forum.
captainplooky

Apr 27, 2006, 3:58 PM
How is that a personal attack?

Since when did asking people about a decision they made in there past become anywhere near a personal attack?

Furthermore, I find it interesting you can say that to me considering her posts have been riddled with personal attacks and jibes at me.
Cigee

Apr 25, 2006, 6:51 PM
Thats funny....you did the exact same thingto me that he apparently did to you....hmmm. Oh wait, you are a hypocrite, makes sense.
captainplooky

Apr 25, 2006, 7:16 PM
I hope you marry well, I figure it's about the only chance you got.
Cigee

Apr 25, 2006, 7:40 PM
Seeing as that I am a decent human being with morals, intelligence and class Im sure I will. Wonder how you'll pan out.... 🙄
captainplooky

Apr 25, 2006, 8:19 PM
Intelligence is highly subjective, especially in today's society.

Even Cletus can be smart compared to Billy Bob, but that's no measure of intelligence.
texaswireless

Apr 26, 2006, 5:52 PM
And cut and paste is also not a measure of intelligence.

Sorry, no gold star for you.
captainplooky

Apr 27, 2006, 4:05 PM
How do you debate and discuss topics if people have no idea what idea or thought you are discussing or hold contention with?

I find great humor in statements like yours PollutedTx.
MIKE3222

Apr 27, 2006, 4:07 PM
remember that movie, happy texas. that was a funny movie. no pollution there though. how do you account for this sir?
alejandro

Apr 27, 2006, 5:14 PM
there was no pollution in debbie does dallas either.
Vox Dei

Apr 27, 2006, 5:18 PM
She does all of dallas 😳 What a slut
texaswireless

Apr 27, 2006, 5:32 PM
Plookky should have been aware of that, being custodian of records and all.
texaswireless

Apr 27, 2006, 5:31 PM
OK,

Thanks Custodian of Records.
texaswireless

Apr 27, 2006, 5:33 PM
I lived in Utah and CA more years than I have in Texas. How does that add to your theory, custodian.
Vox Dei

Apr 25, 2006, 8:20 PM
morals, intelligence and class ???? NOOOOO. What ever is this world comming to when people have....no wait those are good things. don't mind me 🙄
whiskeysour

Apr 25, 2006, 11:53 PM
plooky is obviously just an antogonist, either a) s/he does't work in the industry or b)is a 'higher up' that has no idea what it's like to work on the front lines. which is a perfect anaology for Bush Jr, start wars but don't actually fight them...the best thing that can be done to that sort of person is to ignore them, or in the latter case...impeach them. 😲
sacdude

Apr 26, 2006, 2:00 AM
, its not only wrong to waive the the ETF FEE For other companies, its against the business code of conduct of most companies to do such a thing, furthermore, you encourage customers to become rule breakers, and do something wrong in the process
timslo

Apr 26, 2006, 11:09 AM
The new company I work for, in desperation for new activations since it is a new store, has a system where he will assist customers with their ETFs after they keep their service for the thirty day trial period. It's handled on a case by case basis.

I see everyone's points on how this can be a bad thing, even unethical. There can be exceptions when a customer is absolutely not satisfied and a carrier or agent principal is willing to help with some, if not all the of the ETF.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.