Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 69 replies

Best thing you ever got away with

Mid_Isle

Mar 21, 2006, 12:02 PM
The thread is simple, what is the best line that you got away with saying to a customer?

here's mine. I used to be a customer service rep for a landline company (I won't say which one, all I'll say is they've had some enron-type legal issues in the past while). anyway, this guy is on the line, tearing me a new one about how long it'll take to move his service (up to 3 week timeframe for his state), blathering on and on, and I've just about had it. Now, I know my supervisor is live-monitoring this call, as I keep hearing him laugh at some of the outlandish stuff the guy's saying, finally, he blurts out "If I was George Bush, you wouldn't tell me it would take 3 weeks!"

Having had enough of this guy's bs over the past 45 minutes, and rea...
(continues)
aemsafd

Mar 21, 2006, 12:08 PM
I once said with a straight face: "A check is only as good as the person who wrote it"

I use this line once in a while: "Would you like me to lie to you?"

My favorite: "Do you have any questions about any of our products or services?"

Things I've said to reps over the phone:
I asked a Tracfone rep if their company is in the Stone Age.

I had this Punjab mofo call me 'bro.' I suffered through this idiot Ganges f*uck for thirty minutes, with him calling me bro every other minute. He was the most ignorant sh!t I've ever spoken to; he didn't even understand the concept of an upgrade. Finally;
"OK bro, we've got that programmed, are you ready for the lock code, bro?"

"Listen to me. Unless my Dad fooled around, you are NOT my...
(continues)
xIsamuTM

Mar 21, 2006, 12:30 PM
"how dare you treat your customers so rude. I'll have you know that in India 'brother' is a very respectful--

LOOK AT MY DOT WHEN I'M TALKING TO YOU!!"
aemsafd

Mar 21, 2006, 12:46 PM
xIsamuTM said:
LOOK AT MY DOT WHEN I'M TALKING TO YOU!!"

::Tackles xIsamuTM::

Oh my god! I thought that dot on your forehead was from a snipers rifle!
coffeecoffeecoffee

Mar 21, 2006, 6:34 PM
You saw that Family Guy episode to? HILARIOUS!! đŸ¤Ŗ
3ntropy

Mar 22, 2006, 11:33 AM
BAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA đŸ¤Ŗ
burgundy

Mar 29, 2006, 4:17 PM
A customer was shut off by another company because 90% of his minutes were used on our network. Then he ported to our company and w/ in 2 days lied to me about coverage, (said it didn't work) I live where it supposedly didn't work. He then ported over to another company who doesn't have coverage here.

When he returned the phones i simply said, "they are going to shut you off just like the first one did, and when that happens don't come back to me, because i'm not selling to you again, and wasting time and money!"
Photogal1966

Mar 21, 2006, 12:14 PM
Best thing I ever got to say to a customer... there are a couple of things.

Once, years ago, when I worked at a 1hr Photo Lab, a mistake that was easy to fix was made on a customer's order. Something like doubles were supposed to be printed and she got single prints. I waited on her, and she went absolutely BALLISTIC!

After letting her rant for about 10 minutes, and trying to apologize and get the issue fixed ASAP, I had had enough.

I looked her straight in the eye and said "I am SO SORRY that an error was made. Tell ya what - the person who was responsible shall be taken out back IMMEDIATELY and SHOT! Will that help?"

She realized that she was being ridiculous and she shut up. Even laughed and apologized.

The second thing was...
(continues)
ilikecheese

Mar 21, 2006, 12:23 PM
I HATED photographing the spoiled ones. the 2 year olds were always the hardest anyways, but when you had an only child that was 2, and got everything they wanted it made life VERY difficult.
kellenhoskins

Mar 21, 2006, 12:25 PM
Alright Ive got one had a customer wanting to get phones (three of them) and after running her credit she came back with a $1200 deposit (400 per line). She proceeds to tell me that its not fair and that she really needs these phones and how she knows that i can waive the deposit and just generally gets very rude and insulting. somehow i managed to look her right in the eye and say well here is what you can do go home and pay off all your past due balances and pay your bills on time for the next year or so and come back and see me then. She flipped and finally left
axess_denied

Mar 21, 2006, 2:22 PM
😲

Damn, that is sweet!
3ntropy

Mar 22, 2006, 11:35 AM
OMG. u said that? đŸ˜ŗ
axess_denied

Mar 21, 2006, 2:32 PM
I have a four year old brother. By the time he was 1 year old, my sister and I had bitched at our parents until they took his pacifier away from him. He didn't "need" the thing and it got to the point he was just walking around chewing on it.

Pacifiers are argued to be unnecessary and have been viewed (by some) as unhealthy ways for children to learn to cope. Sure children need some kind of comfort when they are stressed or upset; however, it is the role of the parent(s) to teach their child(ren) the methods of dealing with these problems without the aide of a plastic sucker. I was weened from my pacifier when I could talk, which happened to be when I was eight months old. By the time I was a year old I was speaking in full sentences and ...
(continues)
celesticatfl

Mar 21, 2006, 3:48 PM
makes me think also that as they get older they will 'cope' by stuffing the mouths with food or other things....probably end up obese too with the parents saying 'it's just heredity' they can't help it. 😉
axess_denied

Mar 21, 2006, 8:34 PM
đŸ¤Ŗ

Like those kids on Maury Povich that are all eating cheeseburgers and milkshakes and they are like 2 years old. The worst one is that one black woman who has been on Maury like 15 times for her 4 year old boy who weighs in at nearly 250 lbs and has drunk root beer out of his bottle since he was 8 or 9 months old. Parentslike that need to be KILLED. Sterilization and taking their children from them is not enough, these people arekilling their children and think the rest of the world is crazy for judging them, but NO two year old kid should weigh almost as much as Rosie O'Donnell.
xIsamuTM

Mar 22, 2006, 11:49 AM
Boooo....Baaaahh.........

BooooooooBaaaaaaaaaaahh.............
ESmurf

Mar 23, 2006, 3:48 PM
☚ī¸ 😲 đŸ˜ŗ
OMFG those things are so freaking creepy!

I had planned to raise my daughter w/o a pacifier. I even yelled at the nurse in the hospital for giving her one. After getting her home I noticed she'd just play with the bottle rather than actually drink it, she needed something to please her need to suck. Many (not all) children do, I've learned. Her father and I have decided we'll take the pacifier away at 1 year (in a few months) or when her teeth break through, which ever is first. Since her father and I are not together she goes between our apartments (half a week a time at each) it is the only thing that is constant at both places. It's her only security thing (every kid has a security thing) so we've already started trying t...
(continues)
KrazyJoe

Mar 21, 2006, 1:03 PM
This is my personal favorite...

Working at Best Buy a customer walks up and drops 2 prepaid phones on the counter and doesn't say anything. I ask her "Do you want to purchase those?" to which she replies "No, I'm just putting them up her for show."

It's been a long day, I worked 10 hours and I'm aggrevated and just want to go home already (this happens 15 minutes after the store closed). I, knowing I'm aggrevated, decided to not say anything throughout the remainder of the conversation other that what absolutely neccessary to avoid flying off the handle.

When it comes time to pay she just throws her credit card on the counter.

At the end of the transaction I hand her the bag with the reciept inside and she looks at me and says "...
(continues)
ilikecheese

Mar 21, 2006, 1:41 PM
ha, I don't usually ask if they wanna buy it, I just look at the stuff and look at them, pausing for a second to give them time to speak; if they don't speak I go back to what they were doing. usually the conversation will go like this

customer throws stuff on counter
I look at stuff on counter, then go back to what I was doing
customer: "HELLOOOOOOOO"
me: "hello"
customer points at stuff on counter
I point at stuff on counter
customer moves the stuff closer to me sarcastically
I say "oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realise you were deaf and mute"
customer grunts
I say "and a caveman"
customer points at stuff again
I say "I don't understand pointing, what would you like me to do with these products?"
customer gets angry that I'm tre...
(continues)
aemsafd

Mar 21, 2006, 1:43 PM
If people ignore me more than once, I ask them if they speak Spanish.

UNfortunately, nobody has gotten incredibly offended yet.
ilikecheese

Mar 21, 2006, 1:56 PM
đŸ¤Ŗ

usually people walk in the store, and I walk up to them to greet them, you know the "hi, how are you; is there anything I can help you with today?". 9 out of 10 customers ignore me, so I walk away. Usually about 5 minutes later I hear "excuse me, I have a question?" I ignore them, then they ask again and I'm like "ohhhh, so now you agnoledge me, how convenient"
the 10th customer usually says "I'm just looking" then 5 minutes later I hear "how much is this?" that's when I say "oh, you're done looking now?" they say "yes" I say "are you sure about that?"

then there's the customers that walk in the store while I'm on the phone (usually with a customer service rep or something important like that) and they "wave" me over, you kno...
(continues)
aemsafd

Mar 21, 2006, 2:02 PM
ilikecheese said:
my co-workers always ask me how I get away with all this, it's easy; no one ever complains when a girl that's 9 months pregnant is rude to them.

I'm jealous. Wait, no I'm not.

Is there any way I can get away with stuff without having to worry about 10 cm?

Ewwwwww.
ilikecheese

Mar 21, 2006, 2:12 PM
đŸ¤Ŗ I'm only 3 cm, so it's safe.
aemsafd

Mar 21, 2006, 2:21 PM
As an EMT, they teach us to have a patient rate their level of pain on a scale of 1 to 10- 1 being normal, and 10 being the worst pain you've ever had in your life.

Another alternative is to have childbirth be a 10. If their pain is worse than that, then they deserve pain meds.

Something I'm glad I NEVER have to go through!
Vox Dei

Mar 21, 2006, 3:03 PM
My mother would probably rate child birth as maybe a 5. She rates having her armpits WAXED a 1 (she falls asleep during waxing). If my mother says she's in pain then it's time to take her to the emergancy room.
aemsafd

Mar 21, 2006, 3:07 PM
Thats true. Everybodys different.

If a person thinks back, and feels that giving birth was a lot more painful than their leg that is currently broken, then they're fine.

If a person screams at me "THIS IS A LOT WORSE THAN GIVING BIRTH!" then perhaps they need some happy drugs.

But it funny to see little kids take an IV better than big burly construction worker.
Vox Dei

Mar 21, 2006, 3:20 PM
My mother could calmly tell you that she was in significant amount of pain and then tell you not to give her any happy drugs 😛. She had major surgery a while back on her bowel and they gave her one of those "take your own demerol" Machines. The Dr told her if she didn't take it more often then he would have to take it away start having the nurse give her shots 😛. Usualy they tell the patent they will take it away if they are taking too much.

I was in a reserch program once and i had to come in once a month and get an IV and i would watch the nurse and she was always supprised and ask if i was sure i wanted to watch. I told her every time that i wanted to make sure she was doing it right ;)
aemsafd

Mar 21, 2006, 3:22 PM
Vox Dei said:
I told her every time that i wanted to make sure she was doing it right ;)

đŸ¤Ŗ

It doesn't really hurt. It's like getting stung by bee.

It's just better you than me!
Vox Dei

Mar 21, 2006, 3:29 PM
Haha. I worked in a bee farm once. IV's are alot easyer than a bee trust me. And if your anywere near a hive when your stung then you usually don't get stung once...When a bee stings you it's stinger leaves a sent that pisses off all the other bees in the area so they come and try and sting you too. I got stung 12 times in the same ankle one day...I had to call in sick the next day because i couldn't get my boot on đŸ˜ŗ
ilikecheese

Mar 21, 2006, 3:23 PM
đŸ¤Ŗ

my mom always says "if giving birth hurt that bad, everyone would be an only child"
aemsafd

Mar 21, 2006, 3:26 PM
Hey, you carry them for nine months, we carry them for the next 18 years!
ilikecheese

Mar 21, 2006, 3:31 PM
who? I'm a single parent, I'm gonna be carrying them for 18 years AND 9 months.
aemsafd

Mar 21, 2006, 3:32 PM
Oh sorry then. Is the baby's Daddy a loser?
ilikecheese

Mar 21, 2006, 3:41 PM
yes, to say the least.
aemsafd

Mar 21, 2006, 3:43 PM
Sorry.
KrazyJoe

Mar 21, 2006, 2:16 PM
I used to always get the customers that completely contridict themselves.

me: "Did you have any questions?"

cust: "No. Does this work with my phone?"

😕
celesticatfl

Mar 21, 2006, 6:14 PM
customer just buys a new PPC6700 right? 30 mins later calls the store every 5 mins to ask "how do I.....?" fill in the blank.
I ask have you installed the software onto the home PC yet? NO?
so 5 mins goes by, calls store.."How do I...?" did you install the disk with the user manual on it? No.

you try to tell people that all the info they need is in the manual and that there is even an 'explore' section in the online thing to get to elarn your new device. But do they want to sit and take the time to read it?
not only No but Hell NO đŸ‘ŋ
GRRRRRRR! damn, I mean come on already. I don't get paid for consultaions. RTFM already!
Vox Dei

Mar 21, 2006, 6:34 PM
There is a reason our company charges double to activate a PDA ;)...Well not quite but the activation is $60 instead of $35
Vox Dei

Mar 21, 2006, 3:09 PM
I can see getting upset with them ignoring you, but if they say they are just looking then they don't need your help but know you are there. First thing i say is i'm looking because i don't want to inconvence the sales person to ask questions that posted with big signs right in front of me. Once i've got my selection narrowed down then i'll ask the sales person for help and maybe opinions.

They probably asume your hormones are activing up because your pregnant...pregnant women are even more bit$hy than non pregnant women đŸ˜ŗ
ilikecheese

Mar 21, 2006, 3:27 PM
I agree with your last statement, but honestly we're only more b!tchy because people "expect" us to be more b!tchy. usually I'm giggling deep down inside when I b!tch at someone, because they just shrug it off. if people actually took the time to realise that a pregnant woman can control her attitude just as well as everyone else then they would realise that it's an act, or for attention. If they don't realise that then they deserve to be b!tched at.

now crying is a different story. there's been times where I cry and I really have no idea why
aemsafd

Mar 21, 2006, 3:31 PM
Lacrimation and lactation!
Vox Dei

Mar 21, 2006, 3:34 PM
So your bitchy because it amuses you? Your evil woman...evil. But then again i'm pretty sure most women are. Touching is a big one. Most pregnant women go though periods where they can stand to be touched. But i just assume that's because everyone wants to touch their bellys 😛
ilikecheese

Mar 21, 2006, 4:55 PM
"Your evil woman...evil."

people could argue that all women are evil.

yes, it amuses me to be bitchy; because people don't know how to tell me to shut the hell up, so they LET me have my way, people need to grow backbones.

that's why you never see one pregnant lady bitching at another, because we'll say "shut up, no one cares" and really not care.
digitaldog

Mar 21, 2006, 8:13 PM
I have a deaf child, and so I know sign language fluently. When I am approached by a customer who has completely ignored my initial greeting, I just start speaking in sign language to them. When they don't understand I tell them "I'm sorry, when you completely ignored my greeting I gave you, I assumed you were deaf and so I am speaking to you in sign language". Sometimes they do give me some "sign language" of their own, but it is always worth it. 😛
Nikoletta

Mar 21, 2006, 8:21 PM
Now that's great. I know very little sign but I'm going to be taking a class at the college on it this semester, it's a five credit class and supposed to be a lot of work but I think it will be completely worth it.

I want to actually know it so when I have kids I can work with them with it. I've read a lot about teaching young children sign language and how it helps them be calmer because they can communicate at an earlier age and be understood.
axess_denied

Mar 21, 2006, 4:14 PM
😁

I was a department supervisor for Best Buy (Home Audio/ Home Theater) and I was a full timer in three departments (DI/PCHO/Home Theater.) During my three year stint with the company I was able to tell quite a few customers things in ways most people wouldn't get away with. I am 6'8" and have a very "commanding" stature. Usually my booming voice can be a bit "intimidating" to customers.

First - Working in Digital Imaging, it is my thrd or fourth month on the job. I am a sixteen year old kid who just got out of class for the day and had to work. First guy I talk to this particular day asks to buy a Digital 8 video recorder. After explainig everything to the gentleman, I proceed to ask the question, "Would you like to add the four ye...
(continues)
kapwww

Mar 21, 2006, 1:14 PM
I once worked at a music store in a college town. The university was very large and had many foreign visitors and short-term students, etc. I had an Oriental woman trying to get accessories for her daughter's band instrument. This woman spoke very little english. She would hold up something and say "free?" to which I would reply, "No, I'm sorry, but that is not free. It will cost $X.XX". This process went on for almost 20 minutes for about 4 items. To make it even worse, some of the items she held up had already been given to her for free with her instrument rental. The woman was on the verge of tears. I was about ready to just give her the stuff and write it out of inventory as damaged just to shut her up and get rid of her. As a ...
(continues)
The Lost Ramone

Mar 21, 2006, 1:23 PM
I used to work at an infomercial call center, taking donations for Jim Bakker (i know) selling the magic bullet, real estate programs, and all sorts of stuff.

my favorite one was a little old man who called in. he was "price shopping" and i had had it, it was my 5th call of the month for the land rider bike, and i hadn't sold one, and it was a product i needed to increase my sales on.

"so sir, you would like to take a ride on our bikey bike biker bike?"

"what"

"our bikey bike biker bike"

"well, no, i was just looking at getting some information... for my grandkis, i wanted to see how much they are for 2 of them"

*I explain pricing

"so can we get you set up today sir?"

"well, no, i was just trying to get a ballpark fi...
(continues)
Nikoletta

Mar 21, 2006, 1:42 PM
Great, now my makeup is running (well the mascara) from laughing. That's priceless.
SprintBGN

Mar 21, 2006, 2:05 PM
đŸ˜ŗ đŸ¤Ŗ
ilikecheese

Mar 21, 2006, 2:13 PM
this one time, at band camp......
Vox Dei

Mar 21, 2006, 3:56 PM
You got it on did you? ;). No i don't know where that came from but then again i'm not quite sure where this thread is going đŸ˜ŗ
SprintBGN

Mar 21, 2006, 2:19 PM
i once had these little kids calling in. this one time, the kid told me that she was the devil and that she was going to eat my children. i told her tell satan i said what's up and then the kid got pissed and calling me names. mind you, she was about eight years old...so then i told her, after going back and forth for 10 minutes, that unfortunately, demons can not have sprint and at this time i have to release the line...click
Vox Dei

Mar 21, 2006, 5:21 PM
You should have says "PLEASE. WE are a cell phone company, the devil works in the cubical beside me"
SprintBGN

Mar 22, 2006, 8:28 AM
or he owns the company
Vox Dei

Mar 28, 2006, 6:20 PM
No. I don't think the devil has that much evil imagination. i think he saw a cellphone company and figured he has alot to learn about being evil.
xIsamuTM

Mar 22, 2006, 12:08 PM
best thing i ever got away with.

When I worked at dish:
(this was on a disconnect call, I was explaining the equipment return procedure)
customer: I'm not going to waste my time unhooking all this.
xIsamuTM: If you do not wish to return the eqiupment, we can send a truck to disassemble everything for 119.00, or if it is not returned you will get charged 199 per receiver and 75 for non returned LNBF.
customer: I'm not paying a cent, you can shove this dish up your a$$.
xIsamuTM: No, I cannot, It would not fit and attempting it would void your warrenty.
3ntropy

Mar 22, 2006, 12:11 PM
BRILLIANT!!! you should have told them that it would have fit nicelly up their's though.
SprintBGN

Mar 22, 2006, 12:25 PM
when i was at directv, i told this guy who was mad about not having local channels, that maybe he shouldnt live under the rock and that he should consider crawling from beneath it....
3ntropy

Mar 22, 2006, 12:35 PM
i JUST had a customer come in (a really old lady) who has come in 8 times now. she actually ordered a phone over the phone because ours was $10 more. anyway, we helped her anyway, and today was the final straw. how di i find out my balance on my go-phone? and how do i get to my voice mail? i finally told her that all of her questions could be answered by customer service or by reading her manual (she simply won't read the thing.) so i jsut told her we can no longer offer her support here in store and that she must call CS or read the actual manual. i felt bad after she left, but it was just too much.
Wakkado

Mar 22, 2006, 2:00 PM
Ok, I have a few from me and others I have seen.

My fiance worked fast food for a time, was there getting food for myself and heard a rude customer over the drive thrue speaker. At the end of the order my fiance said Fu@k you very much, but said it quick enough I barely caught it and the customer started to ask what she said then just drove thrue.

This one was purely on accident I didnt mean to do it even if my co-workers dont beleive me. A rather busty woman showing off her... tracks of land approached. I proceeded to greet her breasts with pointing at each one asking if they needed any help. Then I looked up to her face and pointed there and asked if she needed any help. My 2 co-workers lost it laughing and she left embarresed, ...
(continues)
KrazyJoe

Mar 22, 2006, 2:08 PM
Wakkado said:
Same week, only 3 days later. My co-worker had a busty woman approach and when she got close he was going to greet her, first thing out of his mouth was "TITS... ummmm. any questions?" She didnt notice or ignored it well.

If that happened in front of me I would've fallen off my chair in laughter
SprintBGN

Mar 22, 2006, 2:09 PM
ditto
KrazyJoe

Mar 22, 2006, 2:14 PM
I did have something somewhat similar happen to me once. I used to work for a clothing store and I noticed there was a customer behind me, I turned around to give the usual "Hello, is there something I can help you out with?" and when I turned around it was a stunningly gorgeous woman with a very nice dress on.

What should've been "Hello, is there something I can help you out with?" because "Hhhuuhhh...."

I just turned around and walked away, there was no recovering from that.
3ntropy

Mar 22, 2006, 3:45 PM
oh damn đŸ¤Ŗ đŸ¤Ŗ đŸ¤Ŗ *wipes tears from eyes*
KrazyJoe

Mar 22, 2006, 4:10 PM
KrazyJoe said:
What should've been "Hello, is there something I can help you out with?" because "Hhhuuhhh...."

*became
Whitehorse

Mar 23, 2006, 4:10 PM
Back in my billing customer service days, I'd have people who didn't like a certain charge or were upset that they were charged a certain charge ask for an "explanation." Instead of saying that they were upset @ the charge, they would respond to any explanation with "I still don't understand." More than once I've told customers that I have no other way to explain the charges using the english language & perhaps they mean to say they dislike or disagree with the charge... Actually had a couple over the years thank me for expressing their views better than they did... 😁
The Lost Ramone

Mar 23, 2006, 10:44 PM
I feel sorry for you, i have people coming in with 400 dollar phone bills every now and then going "I DIDN'T MAKE THOSE CALLS! I SHOULD NOT BE CHARGED!"

this is usually due in part to a 14 year old daughter, or just an idiot who would NOT listen to the rep telling them they need 1350 minutes, so they go with 450 instead...

i just want one of them to explain away how the calls got on there if THEY didn't make them, they try to make me believe the "system" is messed up, or cingular is just trying to rip them.
freephones4all

Mar 26, 2006, 2:48 AM
A woman who insisted that the numbers 'just didnt add up' and the math on her bill was wrong. 🙄 Again and again I explained and added for her.
At my wits end, I gave her a calculator.
Animosity_Reigns

Mar 27, 2006, 9:53 PM
Simply put... to let a customer know that I was getting annoyed at them not listening
I told them to "Grab a crayon and write this down, I will tell you one more time"

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.