Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 61 replies

If you sell it, do you use it?

VZWCustServ

Jul 5, 2004, 3:30 PM
I signed up for a VZW cell phone before I became a VZW rep. I'm glad now that I chose VZW but had my job oportunities been different way back when. I might be a cingular CSR with a VZW cell phone. How many of us work for and subscribe to the same company? How many subscribe to the 'competition' and how many of us don't have cell-phones?
Starr06

Jul 5, 2004, 3:38 PM
Interesting... I was a Verizon customer for 3 years then I walked into a T-Mobile store to see what they offer. I ended up porting over and I was chit chatting with the store manager. He told me to email him my resume and 2 weeks later I was a T-Mobile employee.

What are the odds eh?
SPCSVZWJeff

Jul 17, 2004, 5:09 PM
It's not uncommon in Oregon to see a T-Mobile employee or a ATTWS employee with a Verizon phone. Their employer doesn't work where they live and so need the coverage.

Aug 5, 2004, 5:21 PM
I have worked for t mobile for almost a year and still have a verizon phone because I didn't want to pay the ETF but October will be here soon. . stupid two year contracts!!
phonepimp3376

Aug 10, 2004, 2:39 PM
Those 'stupid' two year contracts save the customer and the company a ton of money tho...
SuperSerge76

Dec 23, 2006, 12:15 PM
Verizon Rep Locked into a two year contract with cInGuLaR but getting hooked up with a VZW treo 700w
chocolateman85006

Dec 26, 2006, 1:11 PM
I love the 700w.
mobile_guru

Jul 5, 2004, 4:24 PM
I work for VZW but personally use T Mobile and always used Sony Ericsson and before that Ericsson handsets.
I do think that my work Phone Moto T730 has better signal, less dropped calls and less network failure, however unit itself sucks.

nobody is perfect, in my opinion VZW pleases majority that i dont belong to.

be objective
justpeachy

Jul 5, 2004, 5:07 PM
I work for US Cellular BECAUSE they provide the best service and the best customer service in my area. I worked for them after I got my first cell phone, and even after I'm gone I will always have USCC.
JDigital

Jul 6, 2004, 12:35 AM
I work indirect for Verizon, T-Mobile, and ATTWS, and I have phones with all three. It helps me give customers and objective opinion about what works where and what phones and features I like about which carriers. It does suck to forward all my numbers to whatever phone I'm using at the moment, though. 😉
phonepimp3376

Jul 6, 2004, 11:52 AM
Cingular RSCK with Cingular service. Had cingular when I was a multicarrier indirect as well, because they rock in the Northeast.
bobcat zoidberg

Jul 6, 2004, 1:05 PM
I am interested in your recommendation on a carrier for central NJ (Summit - area code 07901) and NYC. (Though I suppose everyone has strong coverage in NYC). While I am currently with Verizon which is very reliable, I need to use a GSM phone. Preferably a 900 (over 800) but T-mobile is not highly recommended. Neither is ATT, but I would be very grateful for your input. Also interested in Cingular...

Thanks in advance.

(sorry if I am intruding on a forum reserved for industry gurus)
JDigital

Jul 6, 2004, 4:32 PM
Well... that's a hard question to answer, since I don't know your area. Verizon is usually a safe recommendation for just about anybody, but you said you needed GSM. I think T-Mobile gets a raw deal from people where I live, because the coverage is actually very good. However, I have no idea what it's like in New Jersey. Just be aware that lots of people will rip T-Mobile without actually getting all the facts. See if you can find a dealer who will lend you a phone for the day to check coverage. That's what I do. ATTWS/Cingular is pretty much your only other option for a national GSM carrier, and their coverage will be better overall than T-Mobile's for now. No GSM carrier in the US uses the 900 Mhz frequency. T-Mobile uses 1900 onl...
(continues)
towermonkey

Jul 7, 2004, 10:33 AM
I WORK for VZW, and I think T-M is an excellent carrier, at least where I live. They don't have coverage out too far into the 'burbs, but in-town they can't be beat & they have good rate plans.

As much as I despise Cingular (from the old Bellsouth Mobility days 😡 ) they're probably gonna be your best bet.
bobcat zoidberg

Jul 7, 2004, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the input

I think my best bet is having an unlocked phone for when I go abroad and sticking with Verizon while I am here.. majority of the people I phone are with Verizon and the quality of service is great..but I am really put off by the choice of phones.. to be honest I'm bored with this whole process.. just want to get one and get on with it.

Cheers
Z
towermonkey

Jul 7, 2004, 12:09 PM
bobcat zoidberg said:
Thanks for the input

I think my best bet is having an unlocked phone for when I go abroad and sticking with Verizon while I am here.. majority of the people I phone are with Verizon and the quality of service is great..but I am really put off by the choice of phones.. to be honest I'm bored with this whole process.. just want to get one and get on with it.

Cheers
Z

I, too, am irritated by my employers' lack of cool new phones. Try the Nokia 3589i - it's plain & simple, but it's bulletproof & holds signal really well. The Motorola V60S is pretty good too, and has a nice metal clamshell, if you're prone to smacking a phone around. I also like the Samsung SPH-A650.

"Bite my shi...
(continues)
JDigital

Jul 7, 2004, 4:28 PM
towermonkey said:
Z

"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Towermonkey, you are my new favorite person on Phonescoop.
phonepimp3376

Jul 7, 2004, 8:53 PM
Darn...I'm crushed, JDigital...

But on a serious note, if you need a good worldband phone, check out the Moto V400 or V600... I actually prefer the 400 myself. All four world GSM bands, great signal grabber in all areas I have tested (mostly East Coast USA) and durable. Plus with Cingular's GSM Nation plans, Unlimited M2M, Unlimited N&W on most plans, and no roaming charges or LD charges.
VZWCustServ

Jul 7, 2004, 9:35 PM
I challege you to a duel to the death Phonepimp! The winner settles this pesky VZW vs Cingular debate! Pistols at dawn! Enguard!
phonepimp3376

Jul 8, 2004, 11:43 AM
What? Engage in a duel with a man who has faulty weapons like limited calling area M2M and no option for early evenings? Surely you jest! What could you possibly throw at me? Oh wait, the v710... I'll just stand here and wait for them to fix the SOFTWARE that has pushed its release back YET AGAIN. No, on second thought, I don't have THAT kind of time on my hands. By the time that damn thing comes out, Cingular will have GSM sites on Pluto!
VZWCustServ

Jul 8, 2004, 3:32 PM
How about Cingular's policy of not crediting for dropped calls? They can't, it would put them out of business. VZW credits for dropped calls because it's so rare that we hardly ever have to do it. If we do, it's usually for a customer who has had the same analog phone since 1995 and hasn't dialed *228 in 3 years.

How about no unlimited n/w on the 450 or 250 plans. Or no rollover on the 250 plan? Our 300 min plans have ulimited nights and weekends and so do our 400. And the 7:00 night and weekend are good, but it's not unlimited unless your on the 600 min plan for 56.99. What good is earlier nights if you still have to worry about using up all your minutes?

Also, your secondary lines are 9.99 but only for the 59.99 plans or higher...
(continues)
phonepimp3376

Jul 9, 2004, 11:13 AM
Right...dropped calls would put us out of business. I have had a Cingular phone for over 3 years, have traveled all over the US, and the ONLY time I drop calls is in dead zones.

If your network was so much better, the customer would have to remember to dial *228...ours don't.

The reason our lower price customers don't get unlimited N&W is simple... they don't have enough usage. Most of our lower price plan users use their phones for emergencies, or just to keep in touch from time to time. 5000 N&W is over 83 HOURS of calling, much more than most of them will ever need, since industry figures show the average user uses less than 500 minutes of evening calling a month.

GAIT plans a joke? why? Because they do what almost all of VZW's p...
(continues)
SPCSVZWJeff

Jul 17, 2004, 5:29 PM
Pimp, You're dueling with an unloaded gun. Be careful because I don't think you want to debate coverage with VZW, or bankrolls, either.

You certainly don't want to debate system capacity, either.
In fact it is a good assumption that if there was a major earthquake in, say San Francisco and the cell sites all survived and were operational that the GSM carriers would block calls in less than 10 minutes. CDMA would not block, but would compromise call quality and may localize. Only 1 in 100 calls would be completed on GSM while all calls (except to GSM users) on a CDMA system would be completed as long as the landlines were not blocking.

Blocking on all forms of TDMA (TDMA, IDen, GSM) is routine at NASCAR events. True it is not catastr...
(continues)
phonepimp3376

Jul 18, 2004, 9:59 AM
Then why is NYC so overloaded that you just had to drop over 900 million for spectrum to prop your "superior coverage"? Hmmm... people deal with major earthquakes out there all the time...never heard that. But I did get a call from a friend of mine out there right after the last good one they got, and his plan is Cingular. Hmmm. Coverage? Oh please here we go again... we currently have about 5% less of the US covered than you guys. Our GAIT coverage is actually LARGER than your coverage.
Jeff, I can respect your dedication to your company, but you would serve yourself well to learn the truth about others as well.
VZWCustServ

Jul 18, 2004, 2:49 PM
phonepimp3376 said:
Then why is NYC so overloaded that you just had to drop over 900 million for spectrum to prop your "superior coverage"? Hmmm... people deal with major earthquakes out there all the time...never heard that. But I did get a call from a friend of mine out there right after the last good one they got, and his plan is Cingular. Hmmm. Coverage? Oh please here we go again... we currently have about 5% less of the US covered than you guys. Our GAIT coverage is actually LARGER than your coverage.
Jeff, I can respect your dedication to your company, but you would serve yourself well to learn the truth about others as well.

WOAH! Lets nip this one in the bud.

Cingular coverage = BIG

VZW co...
(continues)
SPCSVZWJeff

Jul 17, 2004, 5:14 PM
phonepimp3376 said:
By the time that damn thing comes out, Cingular will have GSM sites on Pluto!

We always thought that there was something strange about Cingular, now we know.
Why isn't the corporate office in Roswell?
Can you bring back Elvis?
phonepimp3376

Jul 18, 2004, 9:53 AM
Elvis IS back... he had plastic surgery and walks around with a phone to his ear saying "Can you hear me now? Good!"

The corporate office isn't in Roswell because all the really technologically advanced aliens are in Atlanta.
abbazabba

Jul 21, 2004, 3:31 AM
V400 and V600 tend to drop calls and have bad handoffs
bobcat zoidberg

Jul 11, 2004, 10:58 AM
Oye, but I'm zoidberg!
JDigital

Jul 12, 2004, 1:54 AM
Yes, I did notice your name. You are very special also.
bobcat zoidberg

Jul 11, 2004, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the suggestions towermonkey... I've been looking at the phones and nothing really seems to fit what I need. I don't need a camera phone, but the decent non-camera phones are mostly dual band. The Nokia is too big (I am, after all, a stylish lobster). Before I moved overseas for a year I had the V60i.. and it seems so outdated now. Bluetooth would be really useful, but I think I'm just taking the piss with Verizon now.
In the meantime, I am slowly realizing that a cell phone isn't the be all and end all -- I haven't had one for the 3 weeks I've been back and I'm still breathing. Doesn't mean I won't be getting one.. but its pretty boring when you know your options are between crap and crap.
megs72979

Jul 8, 2004, 6:55 PM
I think verizon is coming out with gait phones, that use CDMA here and the gsm functionality abroad.
phonepimp3376

Jul 9, 2004, 11:15 AM
That would not make it GAIT, megs... GAIT allows for GSM/TDMA/AMPS interoperability within the US. The phones VZW have in the works (and have already released one by Samsung) only use CDMA in the US, and GSM overseas.
incell42long

Jul 9, 2004, 3:49 PM
This is all very amusing. There are areas where Verizon is better than Cingular and areas where Cingular is better than Verizon. Customers are buying the salesperson first then the service second. That is part of salesman 101. For salesman 102, it really does not f-----g matter, we sell cellular phones, we are not brain surgeons. Now that I have that off my chest, I am going to my beach house on the jersey shore, make myself a few vodka martinis and get drunk.
TMobileGod

Jul 6, 2004, 3:16 PM
I was a T-Mobile customer before I began working for the company. Once I started with the company though the price plans for employees are just too attractive for me to go with anyone else. I'll probably stay a T-Mobile subscriber once I've moved on, unless I go to another carrier. I'm kind of particular about my handset too, I'm currentluy not using one that's in the T-Mo retail channel.
disturbed1

Jul 12, 2004, 2:59 PM
I haven't started with Cingular yet, but they seem to be the dominant carrier in my area, plus by comparison they seem to have the largest coverage area. I thoroughly plan on getting service with Cingular, not only to use for myself, but also so I can give my customers an honest opinion.

On that note, does anyone know what Cingular's employee rate plans look like?
Iselltheshitoutofphones

Jul 12, 2004, 6:59 PM
If you will be working 4 an agent:

$20 a month. 1000 anytime, with no rollover, 1000 N&W, which start at 9pm. .29 a minute overage, unlimited internet and text messaging. No deposit, no CC, no activation fee. You can add M2M, insurance and anything you would like. You must be an employee for 30 days to get this. Already a Cingular customer? A form will be needed to change your rate plan. Plan with another carrier? They can port you over.

Corporate store employees: Unlimited talk and data time. This is called a Cingular official use line. All for $0
disturbed1

Jul 12, 2004, 10:59 PM
Damn!!! that sounds sweet!!! I've interviewed with a corporation called Wireless World which exclusively sells Cingular. I'm new to the business so excuse me if this is wrong, but that sounds like the $20 a month deal. That's still great, but I NEED unlimited N&W as this is pretty much how I stay in touch with my girlfriend who lives 1 1/2 hrs. away during the summer. But still no deposit, no CC and $20 a month, I can pay a little more for unlimited N&W and still come out on top of my ALLTEL plan.

Thanks a lot!!!
MobileMerc

Jul 12, 2004, 7:34 PM
VZWCustServ said:
I signed up for a VZW cell phone before I became a VZW rep. I'm glad now that I chose VZW but had my job oportunities been different way back when. I might be a cingular CSR with a VZW cell phone. How many of us work for and subscribe to the same company? How many subscribe to the 'competition' and how many of us don't have cell-phones?

thats crazy i don't have a cell phone. the first time in 5 years without one. Well my company sells verizon in one market and alltel in another so im waiting for my alltel phone 10 bucks a month 5000 anytime. i guess i'm in cell phone limbo. I feel like a old lady now hoping i don't break down. Whats funny is thats my pitch to old lady's
phonepimp3376

Jul 13, 2004, 9:43 AM
So do we address you as TemporarilyMobileImpairedMerc for now?
pure_pimpin_101

Aug 4, 2004, 11:19 PM
To tell you the truth, i am a cricket customer and currently work at asurion insurance and we will be acquiring cricket very shortly. but i didn't even take it into consideration if whom i work for matched my carrier. I am glad that we are acquiring cricket, however. when you need a job you take what you can get. 😛
abbazabba

Jul 21, 2004, 3:26 AM
My carrier gave me a phone and free service.
raycarroll70

Dec 23, 2006, 10:25 AM
So does mine and an aircard for $49.99 plus applicable sales tax and $14.99 a month for unlimited Broadband service!
WhoDey

Dec 23, 2006, 11:18 AM
Are you freaking kidding me?!

JULY OF 2004!!!
chocolateman85006

Dec 26, 2006, 1:28 PM
I wanna work for best but wireless. I heard they hoop their peeps up phat!
jareddude42

Dec 26, 2006, 1:30 PM
who is best but wireless. i know your not talking about best buy one of my coworkers was a swatter for sprint at best buy and you dont get hooked up very fat at all
chocolateman85006

Dec 26, 2006, 1:52 PM
Yes i am! I know people that have $20 phoen bills w/ texts, net, etc....; unless they're bulls--tting me.
Foamy

Dec 26, 2006, 2:06 PM
It kind of depends on the stores reps.

When I worked at Best Buy I only paid $20 a month for Cingular. And I actually had a free VZW phone. Free phone, free service. And Sprint had a deal for around $20 as well.

I know the VZW rep left and a new one replaced him, and the free/free deal left with him. So it kinda depends on what the rep is will to do for that store.
chocolateman85006

Dec 26, 2006, 2:10 PM
Very True. Ya gotta have the right hookups.
chocolateman85006

Dec 26, 2006, 2:17 PM
I meant hook, not hoop.
DJ Parkay

Dec 23, 2006, 2:35 PM
Totaly droped my deadbeat overpriced previous carrier when I entered the wireless biz with their competitor. My ETF paid fr itself in the savings I got in 2 months I had service with my new employer.
securityman

Dec 24, 2006, 12:42 PM
i currently work for a privately owned sprint/nextel company and my service on my cell is nextel. it's nextel because i have more coverage with it than any other service provider that is currently on the market.
chocolateman85006

Dec 26, 2006, 1:11 PM
I work for Cingular and have Verizon too. Thankfully, hardly anyone asks me what phone I have.
jareddude42

Dec 26, 2006, 1:31 PM
i work for sprint nextel and have a sprint and a nextel phone why would i pay for service with anothere company when i get fat deals with mine
SuperSerge76

Dec 26, 2006, 2:31 PM
maybe cuz he had the service BEFORE he got the job... *cough* Like me... *cough*
Foamy

Dec 26, 2006, 2:32 PM
Or, maybe you don't actually like the service you work for, or it doesn't work for you.
SuperSerge76

Dec 26, 2006, 2:36 PM
fair enough.
chocolateman85006

Dec 26, 2006, 2:44 PM
Cingular didn't work for me. Verizon works everywhere.
frankiewawa

Dec 26, 2006, 2:39 PM
I currently work for cingular but I still own my verizon phone 😎
chocolateman85006

Dec 26, 2006, 2:45 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only ones in that situation.
frankiewawa

Dec 26, 2006, 2:50 PM
I did previously work at an agent of verizon for a year or so. place went out of business, so I took a few months off during the summer. Then a friend with cingular offered me a job so I took it. and here I am. I had verizon before I even started workin there. i love verizon. def not switching any time soon 😁 😁
chocolateman85006

Dec 26, 2006, 3:22 PM
I was not impressed at first, but i love Verizon now.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.