Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 9 replies

Will T-Mobile activate my old Startac 7868...and will it connect to their network?

groelzj

Mar 16, 2006, 4:53 PM
I'd like to go back to my old Startac 7868 phone. I never use the bells and whistles on the new phones and you just can't beat the old startac for reception. If I bring my old startac in to T-Mobile, will they be able to switch my number back to the old phone?

I read somewhere that they would refuse to activate it because it doesn't have GPS...

I don't even know if it would work on the networks T-Mobile uses...could anyone help me out on this?

Thanks,
Jon
MIKE3222

Mar 16, 2006, 5:07 PM
no. no gps ability = no activation.
Nikoletta

Mar 16, 2006, 9:04 PM
Not true. GPS ability is only required on non-GSM carriers. The GSM carriers use triangulation off the towers for location with the e911 system. The biggest concern is whether or not that phone is even compatible... I just ran that model number here and it's not coming up. If it's GSM (i.e. takes a SIM card) then it will work. If it doesn't take a SIM then it just isn't compatible. SIMS make it impossible for us to actually say you CAN'T use a phone, just buy a sim for it. Hope that helps.
groelzj

Mar 16, 2006, 9:07 PM
The Startac 7000 and 8000 are listed as possible handsets when I log into mytmobile.com. I'm guessing that there must be a model (maybe 7760) that takes a sim card.

Thanks,
Jon
Nikoletta

Mar 16, 2006, 9:35 PM
7000 and 8000? Oh you mean under support? I haven't checked that... the 7868 though is coming up as CDMA, so no go... it's a bit like RAZRs, they make them so they can work on the GSM types, and they also make ones for the CDMA networks... so some Startacs are probably compatible, just not the one in question.
Nikoletta

Mar 16, 2006, 9:42 PM
I see the 7000 and 8000, those are both GSM, just the one you have isn't, doesn't have a spot to put the SIM card so it just won't. But check out that Moto V170, we don't carry it YET but it's listed as tentative and seems to lack some of the flaws that make the V180/188 a pain in the neck (random resets and disconnects, too flimsy with that cheap-o plastic shell.) It's been used on Tracfone for a while and Cingular has it as well.
Whitehorse

Mar 16, 2006, 9:58 PM
The prize! Unfortunately, it's a CDMA phone & will not work for GSM...
Nikoletta

Mar 17, 2006, 1:06 PM
Awe, that makes me sad. 😢 I already have an old CDMA phone at home, can I trade the two of them for a newer GSM?
ferrarik1

Mar 16, 2006, 9:15 PM
i personally think you would be better off getting a new phone. I highly doubt that it will have as good reception as the newer gsm phones, even a basic motov188 offered through t mobile. My 0.02, but if you can and WANT to activate it, dont let it stop you

Ferrari
Nikoletta

Mar 16, 2006, 9:33 PM
http://www.cellphones.ca/cell-phones/phone/54/ »

"AMPS, CDMA 800/1900 MHz" So it's not compatible. If you like something similar...

Motorola V170 / V171 / V173
Ericsson T28 World

The Ericsson is a little dated and lacks a bandwidth for service (it's only 900, 1900) which means that many of our roaming areas won't pick up well... the Motorola has a lot of things that would recommend it for you. It's a moto just like the startac, it's also fairly simple, nothing fancy but pretty solid, decent battery life, and it gets a fairly good user review, so you might look at that, it still does more than your startac but it's the closest thing I can find that is compatible.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.