Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 73 replies

How Do I get out of My Contract?

mike1113

Mar 10, 2006, 7:30 PM
Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask the professionals (you guys) who work in the business how I can get out of my contract without paying the ETF. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my service or phone, but to be honest I just want something new. Frankly, I can find a better deal elsewhere also. I have no problems with telling little white lies about it, but I will not be rude to the service rep. I know its wrong and all that but I'm sure one of you guys know exactly what I should say to get out of it. Thank you very much!
screenamesuck

Mar 10, 2006, 7:34 PM
What service are you with?

I know some people that just said they are moving out of the country or to a location that the carrier doesn't support and they let them out, but that was years ago and I think most carriers have caught on. I think your out of luck in my opinion.
mike1113

Mar 10, 2006, 7:40 PM
Thanks for the response anyway...I'm with Nextel.
panama

Apr 29, 2006, 8:40 AM
I work in a 24hr call center..I know you have to know what carrier I work for because how many of us are there? I love my job and I even love the customers that call me at 4am just to talk..No worries about my "talk time stats" they're just lonely...I could do without those who call drunk and just want to get off at the sound of my voice...Anyway...I work for the best carrier in my opinion...We offer what no one else does...unlimited minutes..statewide as well as nationally..And will change your plan to avoid .35 per min in overages....We are "customer service don't want to be the biggest, just the best.........

To the customer who has called in stating she works for sprint tech support and threatens to port 3 times a month unless we g...
(continues)
panama

Apr 29, 2006, 8:48 AM
To my daughter who works for "the other guys"...You could have told me about this and I wouldn't have had to wake you up 🙂
Cunning_Linguist

Mar 10, 2006, 7:35 PM
Are you frikkin kidding me? So we're going to give you the advice to help you screw some poor sales rep out of his commision due to a backcharge?

No. You are the kind of person that we constantly bitch about. If you signed the contract suck it up and wait it out. Then go get your better deal.

Buh-bye now!
mike1113

Mar 10, 2006, 7:41 PM
Cunning_Linguist said:
Are you frikkin kidding me? So we're going to give you the advice to help you screw some poor sales rep out of his commision due to a backcharge?

No. You are the kind of person that we constantly bitch about. If you signed the contract suck it up and wait it out. Then go get your better deal.

Buh-bye now!

Well said.
mike1113

Mar 10, 2006, 7:56 PM
Cunning_Linguist said:

Buh-bye now!

First off, there is no need to be rude. I have NEVER been rude to a customer service representative and I never will be. These people have a very difficult job and they deserve the same respect that you give a doctor...because bottom line they are both only trying to help you. Furthermore, in response to the message above, this is not a matter of "what's right and what's wro...
(continues)
Nikoletta

Mar 10, 2006, 8:18 PM
You've hit a pretty solid nerve with your question and this is really the very worst place to ask that question because even if we do know the tricks, we aren't particularly inclined to share them. You DID agree to a contract, you said you would stay with the company for however long or pay the fee. You are being rude by asking us to tell you how to shaft the company that pays our bills, what he said about Chargebacks is very true. If you signed a contract the rep who set that up gets a commission, if you break contract then that rep looses the money they would have earned... your actions WILL negatively effect somebody, and you're not likely to get somebody (very few people at any rate) who are willing to share with you ways to jip our f...
(continues)
Nikoletta

Mar 10, 2006, 8:19 PM
In short, my advice? Don't ask that question here.
mike1113

Mar 10, 2006, 8:31 PM
Good enough. Thank you.
mike1113

Mar 10, 2006, 8:21 PM
Fair enough. Thank you for responding. I appreciate your position. However, if I may retort...if I'm just giving my business somewhere else, who's to say it might not be you/your company that is going to benefit from it? Thanks again.
Vox Dei

Mar 10, 2006, 8:24 PM
Call it professional courtesy. Not all people have it but alot of the reps that come here seem to. Besides the flip side of your argument is, how does that rep know that he's not shooting himself in the foot by telling you how to get out of your contract?
mike1113

Mar 10, 2006, 8:30 PM
You make a very valid point. I would like to respond this way...In every mall (or just about) in America there are Kiosks that try to cell you phones. These people are high pressure sales people from National providers that will not take No for an answer. When you tell them you have another cell phone provider they try and get you to switch. Another point, what about early on when cell provider offered to cover your ETF if you switched to them. If I may ask, where is the professional courtesy there? Thank you for responding.
Cunning_Linguist

Mar 10, 2006, 8:55 PM
I practice professional courtesy and customer satisfaction. I personally have sent a few people away from my service, to other salesmen(normally I recommend one by name).
If the customer will have an issue with my service and I see that, or if a number of different variables are met and I think Provider X will do them better. So be it.

But, by the same token, if I get someone in my store to buy an accessory for X provider's phone. I will slit X provider's throat to get a sale.

The difference? Once is professional courtesy, the other, is being commission driven, and competitive.

The guys in the Kiosks, they are doing their job, albeit sometimes very annoyingly. The buying off someone's ETF? I'm glad it bit those provider's in the...
(continues)
mike1113

Mar 10, 2006, 9:00 PM
Thanks for responding, I see your point. Needless to say I am amazed in the reaction to my question. You guys should unionized! 😁 I now see that my question was totally inappropriate to audience for which it was posed. For that I apologize. However, I am rather confused in the manner in which some people responded. Name calling and poor language that was just uncalled for.
ESmurf

Mar 10, 2006, 9:32 PM
I work in a mall kiosk most of the time, I take no for an answer more times a day than I can count... actually it's usually I'll be back or I'm just going to check out X carrier first.
When someone tells me they already have another provider I ask them if the are still under contract then I tell them the ETF for that provider. If they still decided to switch (one providers almost always do) then I help them out. If they decided to wait I give them my card and cell number (since I work 3 different locations) and tell them to call anytime with questions.
Yeah, we work on commission but you don't get return customers and word of mouth advertising by screwing them the first time you help them.
I'm sorry your view of kiosk employees is so ske...
(continues)
aemsafd

Mar 10, 2006, 9:34 PM
I just heard a great analogy by someone in our company.

If there was a hundred bricks lying on the ground and one of them had a $5 bill on it, what would you do?
Cunning_Linguist

Mar 11, 2006, 6:18 PM
Enhanced Customer Service! I know who you work for 😛
ESmurf

Mar 12, 2006, 2:38 PM
And who do you think I work for Mr. Linguist? I think everyone in my company already knows who I am...
Vox Dei

Mar 10, 2006, 9:59 PM
Your absolutly right there are a lot of sales dealers (direct and indirect) who would know the word professional let alone professional courtesy. I have never heard of a company offereing to legitimetly pay another company's ETF for you (although i haven't heard of everything), but i have heard of some indirect dealers doing it illegaly. For example i know of one indirect dealer for a national provider was offering to pay your ETF for you if you activated with them. Then they would call up your old provider and claim to be the customer and say they are in the military and are being shipped of across sea's. I was working with AT&T wireless at the time and we had to start asking to have a copy of their orders faxed to us so we could verify...
(continues)
Cunning_Linguist

Mar 10, 2006, 8:30 PM
No. A "I hope you wreck and die locked in a car fire" would be extreme. What I said was curt.
Now, this as you read upon entering the forum is for those EMPLOYED by the cellular industry. So why don't you go elsewhere? I suggest the "Cheap assholes that try and talk their way out of everything." forum.
Once again. have a nice day.
😁
aemsafd

Mar 10, 2006, 8:31 PM
You mean the lounge?
MIKE3222

Mar 10, 2006, 8:34 PM
keep these people out of the lounge. it is our respite from all things consumer related.
mike1113

Mar 10, 2006, 8:33 PM
You are a gentleman and a scholar. Your argument was indeed precise and accurate, you should be very proud.
spum

Mar 10, 2006, 8:52 PM
When was the last time you went into a retail store and tried to return something a year and a half after you bought it and started using it? I mean...honestly...
mike1113

Mar 10, 2006, 8:53 PM
Good counter-point.
spum

Mar 10, 2006, 8:56 PM
To add to that...

Every retailer has a specific amount of time that you can return an item. When I was working in electronics, we had a 30 day return policy if it was resellable, and a 90 day exchange. After that, you're SOL. Same thing applies with cell phones. You're past your 15 day (or whatever it was) exchange period, so bite the bullet and wait it out or pay your ETF. If you weren't comfortable with 2 years, you had the option of a one year contract as well. Maybe you should keep that in mind next time. Pay a little more up front so that you can have more flexibility when you want it.

As for getting out of your contract...good luck. I refuse to help out.
mike1113

Mar 10, 2006, 9:07 PM
Absolutely...well said. Very noble of you and I realize that my question was inappropriate for the forum for which it was presentation. I will stick out the remaining 6 months of my contract. However, I would like to pose the same challenge to you as I did the LOST_RAMONE...please reivew the negatively of future responses of this thread. I believe you will be surprised.
spum

Mar 10, 2006, 9:09 PM
The negatively of future responses...? I don't know if I follow.

I won't be a bit surprised if you make a lot of people angry by wanting out of your contract.
mike1113

Mar 10, 2006, 9:11 PM
I understand the anger, customer service is a hard occupation in any field. Be that as it may, the personal attacks are inappropriate.
spum

Mar 10, 2006, 9:14 PM
It's a lot better to take out aggression to someone that isn't your customer on the internet than it is to let it get into your work. I'd rather see my coworker yelling at you and getting it out of their system than see him/her getting frustrated and impatient with a customer in my store.
MIKE3222

Mar 10, 2006, 8:33 PM
i don't worry about chargebacks or any of that, because i don't get them. however, i don't think anyone is going to let you out. if there were tricks to it, they have been abused and put to a stop. as far as the company getting their money back on the phone discount, that's great, but they still haven't gotten the revenue out of you they anticipated, and probably already spent/allocated. there used to be a screenname on here that was - paytheetf. that's the best thing i've heard yet, if you are dissatisfied, or think you can get a better deal somewhere else, pay the etf and move on, it's not that big a deal is it?
mike1113

Mar 10, 2006, 8:34 PM
Valid point. Thank you for responding.
Cunning_Linguist

Mar 10, 2006, 8:42 PM
You don't get chargebacks? Must be nice. For the record there IS a way out of the contract, but I'm certainly not telling someone who wants out it.
The Lost Ramone

Mar 10, 2006, 8:44 PM
sell your body a few times to make 175 bucks, and pay it off?
aemsafd

Mar 10, 2006, 8:45 PM
"How are we going to raise $50,000?"

"You could have sex with 500 women for $100 each. (pause) Or 50 fat chicks for $1000 apiece."
[everyone looks at him in stunned silence]
"What, fat girls need loving, too!"
MIKE3222

Mar 11, 2006, 8:46 PM
no chargebacks. we have an extra termination fee. if they cancel in the first 6 months they pay us $250, which covers whatever i would be charged back. they have a 3 day, 30 minute return policy that they can come back in, but that's not like being 2 months down the road getting a short paycheck.
alejandro

Mar 11, 2006, 8:48 PM
what company do you work for?
ESmurf

Mar 10, 2006, 9:38 PM
I had a customer today (oh yes, she's coming back...) who said it was worth paying the ETF because of the money she'd save with our carrier.
It's been said before - Do the math - if you'll save more money in the long run than the ETF may be a less expensive, more logic way to go.
The Lost Ramone

Mar 10, 2006, 8:40 PM
basically the whole thing reeks of bad karma. i teach you how... you cut loose... I get a return and my stores ARPU goes down and my returns go up.

in the grander scheme of things, the company being hit by not recieving the amount of revenue they predicted and allocated will force them to charge more for rate plans, and handsets. (not directly affected by YOU, but if knowledge of this spreads and others find out how, companies will drive up the price for end users in good standing I.E. ME)

Simply, the company has many lawyers spend many moons writing and revising contracts... and even if you do find a loophole, you should do the right thing, finish out your contract, and move on. or you should have just not been such a cheapskate, bou...
(continues)
mike1113

Mar 10, 2006, 8:47 PM
The premise of your agrument is that I am a cheapskate. In response to that I would like to say that I did not change phones because I was very satisfied with my phone. With all things being considered I believe you are making a generalization of me due to your previous negative experiences with other customers, which is completely understandable. However, with that being said, I understand your point regarding the business matter of my desire. Thank you for educating me in that, I was not aware of the wide reaching effects of my decision. Thanks for responding.
The Lost Ramone

Mar 10, 2006, 8:49 PM
I'm not saying you are a cheapskate for that reason... i understand your phone was broken... but broken or not, you could have bought a phone at the full retail price, spent the extra cash, and been out of your contract on time.
mike1113

Mar 10, 2006, 8:52 PM
I was not aware of that option, granted ignorance is not an excuse. In highensight I should have looked on ebay for a phone until my contract expired.
The Lost Ramone

Mar 10, 2006, 8:56 PM
now you know what to do for future refference. sorry for the brashness, but trying to escape what you knowingly got in to is not something that is admirable, especially when it's contracted.
mike1113

Mar 10, 2006, 9:03 PM
Nor did I ever believe it was...I fully admitted that it was morally unjust. The question I posed was inappropriate for this forum and for that I apologize. However, I challenge you to review this thread in the future and see the nature (rudeness and name calling) of the reponses.
The Lost Ramone

Mar 10, 2006, 9:05 PM
we have to put up with alot in the wireless industry, and this hits to close to home for some of us, and it struck a nerve. i would appologize for everyone else, but it's not my place.
mike1113

Mar 10, 2006, 9:09 PM
That's very understandable. Customer service is a hard occupation in any field, but I for one am very suprised at the volcanic like anger that is spewed at a person.
Cunning_Linguist

Mar 11, 2006, 2:14 PM
Yeah, I'm a vitriolic ass 🙂 I don't mind though.. cus, I'm not selling you anything. SO I don't have to paint a warm and genuine looking smile over the sneer I want to give you for your affront to my senses. 🙂

Don't take it personally, I just hate people as a rule. And were you in my store you'd be treated like a long lost friend... but here, the gloves come off.
Whitehorse

Mar 10, 2006, 9:25 PM
Most cell providers will allow you to transfer your contractual responsibilities to another, I would suggest trying this. It would allow you to get out of your contract without paying the ETF & without doing anything wrong.
mike1113

Mar 10, 2006, 9:32 PM
Thank you very much for your insight...it is greatly appreciated.
Nikoletta

Mar 13, 2006, 2:38 AM
That's a very valid point, you can transfer responsibility to somebody else, if they're approved for service... and it can actually be a win-win situation... you get out of the contract and they get service without having to pay activation (at least with my company that's the way it works, they don't have to pay to activate since the line is already active) They have to take your old phone though, but if you just upgraded that shouldn't be such a bad thing. Whitehorse, that was very insightful. 🙂
UOQuack

Mar 11, 2006, 3:57 PM
No cell provider I've ever heard of will allow this. The fact is, signing a contract obligates the customer to a period of commitment to THAT COMPANY, not to some other company. The company makes money from the fulfillment of that contract, and failure to fulfill that contract costs the company money. Therefore, the early termination fees are in place to offset that loss. If a cell provider allowed you to transfer your obligation to another company, they would in effect be saying, ok Company B, we, Company A, are willing to give you some of our money with nothing in return. Not gonna happen.
cabreras23

Mar 11, 2006, 4:05 PM
If you're speaking in response to the sprint/nextel cancellation fee, then whitehorse would be correct. If you have Sprint and want to go to Nextel (or nextel to sprint), thanks to the merger; you can do so and the eft will be taken care of. Why? Because essentially, you're still within the same company.
alejandro

Mar 11, 2006, 4:11 PM
no, you're not really reading the post, he is saying doing a change of responsibility to another person, but keeping the contract with this new person, and then he can sign his own contract with another company without responsibility to the first.
UOQuack

Mar 13, 2006, 10:24 AM
Yep you're right, I didnt get the point of what he was saying. Oh well.
Nikoletta

Mar 13, 2006, 1:30 PM
That's what I thought it meant, that he was advising giving the phone to somebody else and letting them take over the responsibility, so they're not canceling the contract, just moving it.
alejandro

Mar 13, 2006, 3:38 PM
thats what retentions departments usually try to get people to do as well.
Nikoletta

Mar 13, 2006, 3:40 PM
Yep, because then they don't loose the account completely.
alejandro

Mar 11, 2006, 2:58 PM
wow, what did this guy expect with that kind of post?
Cunning_Linguist

Mar 11, 2006, 6:24 PM
Well, yeah, and people are candy coating it like, making excuses for harsh reactions.. sorry i'm not politically correct, am in fact a bit of an @$$hole at times... No, Im genuinely not sorry, Yes, I hope you die in a car fire.
Who cares how harsh my reaction is, or anyone else's for that matter.. your a turd, and I despise you.. DO I care if it is warranted? No!
👿
alejandro

Mar 11, 2006, 6:30 PM
although that is harsh that has nothing to do with political correctness, but i understand, its a buzz word, you are low on the intellectual totem pole and absorb it.
Cunning_Linguist

Mar 11, 2006, 6:41 PM
Much like you are no doubt low on man-pole every weekend 🙂 Hopefully nto so low ya gag 🙂
alejandro

Mar 11, 2006, 6:50 PM
You have such a sunny disposition, i can see why you dont have a girlfriend and are hitting on chicks on phonescoop.
Cunning_Linguist

Mar 11, 2006, 6:54 PM
What makes you think i don't have a girlfriend? Im dating several chicks. Including your Mom! Well, on the nights i beat the other guys into the alley!
😈
alejandro

Mar 11, 2006, 7:32 PM
You couldn't afford my mom buddy, not since she stopped charging by the minute.
Cunning_Linguist

Mar 11, 2006, 7:34 PM
What she charges by the hour now? 😲 What Am I going to do with the other 58 minutes besides get dressed? 😳
alejandro

Mar 11, 2006, 8:39 PM
hey, its like plan minutes, use em or loose em.
snapps

Mar 11, 2006, 3:44 PM
someone might have already said this since i didnt read all the responses
But with nextel i know that you can get out of your contract and switch to sprint and not pay the fee but that is the only way i know of.
There is a difference in the two...more towers better service cheaper prices etc. You also wouldnt have to pay the $36 activation fee for ur new phone if u did make that switch
evilbstrd666

Mar 13, 2006, 5:31 PM
Play dead?

To be honest, they really won't let you out easy....
sundropranger

Apr 29, 2006, 10:46 AM
pay your way you lousy customer
Insert Witty Name Here

Apr 29, 2006, 11:32 AM
Dude, this was in March - Bored?
yossi296_65

Apr 29, 2006, 12:20 PM
Pay the f*cking ETF.

You signed the contract. period. would it be fair if the carrier broke their end by stopping your service, continuing to bill you and then adding an extra $489428492829.37 + tax per month to your bill. nooooooooooo. that would be cheating you out of your money which is exactly what you are seeking to do to the carrier.
evilbstrd666

Apr 29, 2006, 5:55 PM
Quit trying to commit fraud, and pay the ETF.

It is a legal contract. That's why they had you sign it.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.