Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 29 replies

deposits kill me

3ntropy

Mar 7, 2006, 10:55 AM
there's nothing like helping a customer pick a plan and a phone, telling them about all the details, running their credit...and getting a huge deposit. 9/10 ppl walk back out. ARGGG!!
aemsafd

Mar 7, 2006, 11:02 AM
After a while, you get to the point where you can tell whether a customer needs a deposit or not. Not trying to stereotype people, but is it really wrong if it's true?
securitybreach

Mar 7, 2006, 11:15 AM
You are absolutely right and no it's not wrong it saves an exp. rep time n energy However, i have been wrong once or twice. Now most of the time when I suspect a deposit I just ask upfront for a dl and mc or visa most ppl with a deposit DO NOT have a cc. saves me time
aemsafd

Mar 7, 2006, 11:31 AM
I dont even do it that obviously. I prefer to do it real subtle.

Normally I say "This phone is two hundred dollars. When you sign a two year contract, you get a $200 discount, so this phone ends up being free. This $250 camera phone is $49.99, plus an additional $20 rebate means that you only pay thirty bucks."

I say this because it gets the cost (full value) of the phones across, lets them know its a 2 year contract, and also makes them think they're getting a great deal (or convince them still have money left over for accessories)

Now for the credit-challenged:
Normally I say "This phone is two hundred dollars. When you sign a two year contract, with credit approval, you get a $200 discount, so this phone ends up being free. ...
(continues)
securitybreach

Mar 7, 2006, 11:38 AM
lol 🤣 Yea they really look like the good guy!! Do you ever just want to scream "pay your bills on time asshole"
aemsafd

Mar 7, 2006, 11:45 AM
No, I mean the people that know that they don't have perfect credit. (Especially if it's because of legitimate reasons like divorce/medical reasons/death etc.) If they let me know this, I can show them their options and talk about deposits and prepaid before we pick out the phones and plans. These customers I like and will bend over backwards for.

For the a$$hats that don't know they have bad credit and want to argue that they should get service, I think they should eb stabbed int eh face with a stapler.
securitybreach

Mar 7, 2006, 12:40 PM
I agree 100% on both especially the asshats 🤣
aemsafd

Mar 7, 2006, 12:50 PM
Cool, they didn't censor that! In the future, i now know I don't ahve to use the '$'

How about this for messed up?

I had a customer that had two current Sprint phones, wanted to upgrade both and get one, possibly two more phones. Sprint would let them upgrade one phone, and get the third with a $125 deposit, but could not get a fourth.

Verizon gave them four phones, no deposit.
securitybreach

Mar 7, 2006, 1:22 PM
Wow, that it is odd usually Vzw is the toughest credit check in the industry (my opinion) Also, they were already with Sprint and they wouldn't let them upgrade 🤣
aemsafd

Mar 7, 2006, 1:36 PM
Not opinion, thats fact.

We can attribute this to either of two things:

1.) Both companies are just really messed up.
2.) I am very, very, very good.
screenamesuck

Mar 7, 2006, 1:42 PM
No, Alltel is the worst when it comes to deposits. We have $1000 deposits about 80% of the time. If not that, then it's $500 or $300. Then the people walk right down to Verizon where they tell them it is only $150
aemsafd

Mar 7, 2006, 1:44 PM
Wow. In my market, VZW asks for $125, 400, or 1000.

I've seen Verizon ask for $1000, then we turned around and ran their credit on Sprint. No deposit, they got a phone immediately.
securitybreach

Mar 7, 2006, 2:03 PM
Vzw deposits are the same in my market also they offer an "R" (rejected) credit class I've only seen one though
aemsafd

Mar 7, 2006, 2:05 PM
Never seen that. I don't think I've even seen anybody pay more than a $250 deposit for a phone.
securitybreach

Mar 7, 2006, 2:16 PM
Yea I've seen it once and when I clicked the little diamond in eroes I actually had to go to infocenter to find out what it meant. Then still a little confused I called coos and they explained it means no service no deposit we will not do business with that customer. The most paid I've seen was 2000 cash for 5 lines (400 per line)when the customer left me and the other rep took pix of the money and sent it to other b/c we knew no one wld beleive us.
aemsafd

Mar 7, 2006, 2:18 PM
Thats funny. We once had a store that didn't have the full abilities that we did. They couldn't take deposits, so the manager would drive to our store, we would make the transaction, then they would process the sale in the other store.
Nikoletta

Mar 7, 2006, 3:06 PM
We have people we will reject, they don't get a class though, they say "S" which means call the manual credit team... and the team pulls their old account (they're always previous customers) and say that for them to even be considered for service they have to write to an address or send in a fax explaining why they need service...

These are the guys who were so abusive and so belligerent with our reps that we simply WON'T deal with them anymore. I've handled a couple of them. Only one blew up on me and started screaming when I told him about the address ...and he wonders why he can't get service?
yossi296_65

Mar 10, 2006, 12:44 AM
similar thing happened to me. i pulled up my account using fast and it would not allow me to add any additional lines (my sprint phones are on a consumer plan, not employee) i call sprint and they tell me that my credit sucks and payment history is terrible (ive seen my credit report, its pretty decent, and i ALWAYS pay my sprint bill on time) amd therefore cannot get any more phones. i informed them that i was willing to pay any deposit necessary. the rep suggested pre-pay. funny thing is verizon approved me for five lines with no deposit.

i activated two, out of anger!

i always find it ironic when one carrier requires a high deposit for a customer, and another does not require any deposit from the same customer. it also ange...
(continues)
Nikoletta

Mar 7, 2006, 1:33 PM
On Time? How about at all?
uscellularman

Mar 7, 2006, 12:48 PM
that is definetly the truth especially if they are looking for 2 line or more, then u get excited then all of a sudden ur shutdown
Nikoletta

Mar 7, 2006, 1:37 PM
If they are asking for more than two lines I stop getting excited because 9 times out of 10 times they have either really bad credit or it's fraud... Especially if they want large plans and lots of features with more than two lines. Very rarely I see a large package picked and see them approved... I think there's a direct correlation between the two actually... I figured that the people who just don't know how to manage their money routinely get themselves in over their heads (as a rule) and don't have a lot of self control and so they like the idea of a huge rate plan but can't handle the costs.
3ntropy

Mar 8, 2006, 4:12 PM
that's a good idea...run the credit first, but not so realistic. the mystery shoppers will knock off serious points if you don't go through the whole process correctly. i try to sell my product then ask for the sale, and that's where the frustration comes when the deposit comes up.

the funny thing is some people come in asking how much the deposit will be. in THAT case we'll run a check and see (they're definitely not mystery shops).

and you guys are right when you say after a while you can tell when someone's gonna have bad credit. i try to sugar coat it, too, by saying that they get it back in full, credited to their acct. in a year if they pay on time every month. then i do the math and show them that basically they will be getti...
(continues)
phatbasstard

Mar 7, 2006, 11:25 AM
my store is in an area were we get lots of deposits and most people who have them com in expecting it. but every once in a while we get some one who wants a 4 line family plan then gets hit with a deposit and wants to know why? and i always try to candy coat it by saying i don't know why (actually i don't but i can guess 🙄 )
securitybreach

Mar 7, 2006, 11:33 AM
I always just say something like "Vzw will send you a letter explaining this" meanwhile I'm thinking "It's b/c you don't pay bills on time or at all one of the two"
danielson

Mar 7, 2006, 3:19 PM
You could try what i do, and try really hard in the very beginning when they start asking about multiple lines to get them to run their credit.. tell them the family plan the can get depends on their credit class so we need to run them first so that we can tell them about the right plans.
phatbasstard

Mar 7, 2006, 3:24 PM
cant do that here we get secret shopped once a month ☹️
danielson

Mar 7, 2006, 3:53 PM
Oh well.. if we get secret shopped it doesnt' affect me.
colione112

Mar 8, 2006, 11:20 AM
always, always try to run the credit first... it'll tell you what plans you need to promote(post,prepaid). I always try to run the credit first, so far it has saved me alot of time.
Sholyhit

Mar 8, 2006, 11:35 AM
Gotta love when people get offended when you tell them they need a deopsit. Some of them get all mad and get all accusitory. "Why do I have such a high deposit?" Gee, I don't know. YOU have a better idea why your credit score is that bad than I would have. I don't know why you don't pay your bills, but it's not MY fault that you don't. I have people all the time that are like "Well I owe x-thousand dollars to X-Wireless because they said I went over my minutes, but I refuse to pay that bill." Ok... so you are telling me that you go over your minutes and don't pay your bills, and somehow this is going to convince me to magically waive your deposit, which I can't do in the first place?
colione112

Mar 11, 2006, 11:59 AM
why would you even want to? You'd probably get a chargeback... afterall... they have a history of not paying bills, hence, the deposit. 🙂 nice circle if you ask me.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.