Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 19 replies

I need some advise.

ColdWhiteLight

Feb 13, 2006, 11:08 AM
This one goes out to all you guys or gals that might have been in this situation. To quit, or not to quit, that is the question. Here is the issue. I feel like I've turned into a total monster working for X carrier. My relationship with my fiance is struggling because I am so pissed off all the time. Everytime I step into these doors of X carrier to work, I turn from a God loving, kind hearted person, to something I cannot recognise. When I leave here I take it with me. I have been off for four days now, to try and regroup but have had no success. I even got a raise today for "all my hard work and dedication to the company." The problem is if I quit, I dont know where I will go, or what I will do. As I know now that cell phones are fun, but ...
(continues)
sell.cells.by.seashore

Feb 13, 2006, 12:09 PM
i am in the same boat with ya chief. i have been debating the same thing for at least two weeks. i broke it off with my lady friend last week, which probably had something to do with the fact that i was working 55+ hours a week. my days off are spent sleeping, re-cooping from the 7-10 days straight i just worked. don't get me wrong, i love the paycheck... but you have to weigh the pro's and con's i guess, eh? i wanted to get back to school anyways, maybe ending my illustrious career as a sales rep is all for the better... well, i hope i shed a bit of light on your dilemna. don't worry, you aren't the only one in that predicament.

good luck,

Fellow Sales Rep
ColdWhiteLight

Feb 13, 2006, 12:19 PM
Ya I feel ya. I am definately not the same old "me." The days that I do have off are usually not consistant. When I am off, I sleep and recover from the stress of the work week. I NEVER want to go out at night because I feel like I have to be home by 10 or 11 because I need sleep for the next day. I will ONLY go out with her when I know I am off the next day. I feel like I cannot show my fiance any love because I am so bitter even after work. I take it out on her and I don't want or desire to do that. I love her so much and I feel like I have lost all love inside of me. I want to go back to school as well.
tequilasundae

Feb 13, 2006, 1:38 PM
i feel ya..i have come home and been accused of "takin it out" on the missis..some things did change here ( my second wireless job, a glutton for punishment)..it can also make me a real crabass depending on how the day goes..
flawlessrhymes

Feb 13, 2006, 2:05 PM
i was in the same miserable situation for much of the last two years. Is it the pressure to hit your quotas that makes you so angry? Is it obnoxious or hostile coworkers? Or is it the whining, rude, and borderline-retarded customers?

Speaking strictly for myself, I never had a problem with the customers- and I worked for provider with one of the worst customer bases (easy credit checks, etc). Yes, they are a challenge, but one of the keys to survival in any customer service position is not taking it personally. Joke about it with your coworkers, try to make yourself care, and stop thinking about that day's horror stories as soon as you're out the door.

I never had a problem with quotas either- some people aren't built for compet...
(continues)
ColdWhiteLight

Feb 13, 2006, 3:25 PM
Definately not my co-workers or quotas. I meet or exceed my quotas every month that I have worked for this company. I have had some issues with my upper authority that has made me bitter, but I am a forgiving person and I have let that go. Although I am almost afraid to call in sick now, but thats another story. I really feel that its kind of boarderline between customers who constantly scream and yell over nothing (never in my life would I forsee someone get so mad they would tell you they would tear you a new one because they don't get a phone at a discount) and the higher power over me. At first I never had any problems, then I got food poisoning and ended up out for two days and missed a "very important meeting" after that things went do...
(continues)
ESmurf

Feb 13, 2006, 4:10 PM
Flawless gave great advice.
It sounds like you need to be in a non-customer job though if you don't want to get yelled at. I've worked in MANY different positions at MANY different jobs in MANY different industries. Everywhere I've gone I've had people yelling about things out of my control... even in positions where I'm not in direct contact with customers (Mail & File for and insurance company) I still had customers find me and yell then I wasn't processing their claim quick enough.
If you can find something where you are either ALWAYS the bearer of good news or where you NEVER have to deal with customers... that is what you should try next. I understand having the needless yelling drudging up past issues, I do. And I hope you don't tak...
(continues)
ColdWhiteLight

Feb 15, 2006, 12:33 PM
I have 98% decided to go back to school and become an educator. I want to teach history. I think teaching kids, and giving them a good example to live by will make a huge difference in their lives and make me feel very fulfilled. I know school systems aren't always the best, but maybe by the way I act around the kids, you know to be "cool" will help make everyone happy. My fiance and I decided that we would go to school together, she's going to enter nursing school and I'll be going to the same place for my history degree. Sounds pretty awesome so far.
silentscream

Feb 19, 2006, 4:21 PM
That's absoulutely great. My brother and his wife are both educators. Well, she is student teaching, but she will be soon. She left her job as an actuary to go back. Basically, her job sucked, and she decided she wanted to teach calculas, or something like that. Anyways, best of luck in your future endeavors, and tell your fiance, hi for me... 😉 lol. Really, she sounds like a keeper if she stays by you in the hard times.
ColdWhiteLight

Feb 15, 2006, 12:36 PM
You sound like you worked for SC Kiosks or Radioshack. I used to work for them, and we got the same treatment. If you didn't make your quota you were fired, but I never seemed to get fired and I was missing quota by quite a bit all the time. Out of 3 employees when I worked for them, we ended up with about probably 10-15 phone a piece with a 40 phone quota
ESmurf

Feb 13, 2006, 12:26 PM
With vast experience in the 'quitting w/o a plan' idea my advice is:
You're right your relationship, personal happiness and mental health are the most important things. They say if you do something you love you'll never work a day in your life. I give this advice under the thought that you've felt this way for a while and it couldn't be caused by such-and-such coworker or low pay/recognition (since you just got a raise). That it really is the carrier or job that is getting you down. Look around, you can go on interviews and find a job that you will enjoy while still with X. I'm sure if you're not happy your company or at least coworkers know it. When you find something that you think will work for you tell them you can start in two weeks. P...
(continues)
Whitehorse

Feb 13, 2006, 3:32 PM
Esmurf's right on target with this. I'd add to take some time to identify what about your current job causes unhappiness & what you're looking for in a job. I'd also suggest to write it out & look @ the entirety of the situation, from the CEO's hair color on down...
ColdWhiteLight

Feb 13, 2006, 3:32 PM
Yes the general job is getting me down. Nice customers say I could sell anything I wanted to anyone because I'm persuasive, but honest in all areas of the sale. I don't doubt myself as a salesman. I don't doubt that I can continue to meet and exceed quota, because I have done that while being bitter all this time. I remember when I used to be so happy and full of life. Now I am so bitter, I want to help people be happy, that has always been my goal, ya know make a difference in my life. I have worked in the ministry before so I definately know about making a difference in the lives of others. I am not happy, and I just feel that I cannot be who I desire to be staying here. Sure not having a job for a little while is fun, but at least in that...
(continues)
kracing

Feb 13, 2006, 1:46 PM
I am in the SAME boat you are in right now!!! I get sick to my stomach every time I walk in the doors, and I am ALWAYS in a bad mood when I get home. This is reflected on my family and friends....My conclusion is to QUIT. My sanity and well being means alot more to me than this job...I am NOT giving a notice, I am just going to wait until I get my taxes back (any day now) and I am just going to walk right out the door with a huge smile and a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. It may take me a couple of weeks to find a job, but at least I will be a better person on the inside and out, being away from this place.
cingcing

Feb 13, 2006, 2:20 PM
As a AT&T rep coming to Cingular, trust me I feel ya! It seems that AT&T Wireless and Cingular had two different schools of thought before the merge. AT&T F'ed the customers over, and Cingular F'ed it's employees over. After the merge, they are pumping everybody for every last penny they can. I took a 40% pay cut when Cingular took over! And now I have to deal with the damn Union as well? I have been in the top 5% in sales in my region all year and I had to change stores recently because my old manager didn't even give me an interview for the asst. mgr. position that was open. Instead she hired someone from outside the co. without an interview! Come to find out she was telling everyone that I was working against her! Now they are missing 100...
(continues)
Insert Witty Name Here

Feb 13, 2006, 2:07 PM
I would like to advise you that you spell advice as a-d-v-i-c-e.

ColdWhiteLight said:
Thanks for the help.

No problem.
ColdWhiteLight

Feb 13, 2006, 3:26 PM
Insert Witty Name Here said:
I would like to advise you that you spell advice as a-d-v-i-c-e.

ColdWhiteLight said:
Thanks for the help.

No problem.

Thanks for pointing that out. You piss me off. Just kidding 🤣
ButtaKnife

Feb 13, 2006, 3:47 PM
...and get the heck outta dodge! I know how you're feeling and I'm currently looking for new employment. The best thing you can do is put together a game plan ASAP and execute it. Find a new job and quit, or quit and go back to school. Maybe see if you can cut back your hours to part time while you figure out your next move. In any case do yourself a favor and get out of this industry. I'm sure you will feel loads better once you do.
coffeecoffeecoffee

Feb 17, 2006, 9:12 PM
QUIT! Your life is more important than any job!
I had a great paying job with a wireless company that didn't treat me so well, I worked through it with three promotions and was on pace to make about 100K in 2005. I put up with their ****, left my friends and family behind (I have two young daughters), gave up my health and lost my drivers license all because of my job.
I now have a different job, still in the wireless industry, but I am happy! I am home with my kids and boyfriend and I actually get to spend time with my friends and family. I did take a significant pay cut, but I have time to do the things I love.
Life is to short and there are more important things than money. I learned that the hard way.
kapwww

Feb 18, 2006, 10:09 AM
I worked a crappy job selling music instruments for 3 years. I worked 60 hours a week and broken down per hour, was making less than minimum wage. I was afraid of not having income because I had quite a bit of debt. I finally quit and ended up not having a job for a full month. I lived off of what little savings I had. Now that I have my new job selling phones, I haven't looked back. I found a great company to work for (an agent store with the coolest owners and bosses in the world). They treat us well. I love my job now.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.