Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 20 replies

Identity theft and SS numbers online

pete1660

Sep 28, 2005, 10:03 AM
Anyone know if there is a wireless carrier that doesn't require a SS number for signing up? I just got a call at my store and this "nice" (yeah, sarcasm, it's an industry standard) lady explains that she was signing up online (of course, thus going the less expensive way...save that 20 bucks people and hope your phone doesn't come in 18 pieces) and it was asking for her SS number, which of course she doesn't want to give out. She asked me if we required the same thing. Yeah, we need your SS number to do a credit check, no, I don't know who would give you a phone without that. She than explained that she wouldn't give her CC number and her SS number online (apparently she's unaware of people just stealing CC numbers online or she just doe...
(continues)
cellutions79

Sep 28, 2005, 12:15 PM
Yah no SS no phone, unless you go prepaid, but other than that she stuck like chuck. Hope your day gets better.
Nikoletta

Sep 28, 2005, 1:00 PM
Hehe, you can get a line with no Social with us (I think) for a $600 deposite...or if you lot of Cricket in your area (or Leap/Jump wireless) I'm not sure if they require a social or not BUT I am pretty sure you have to buy the phone.
geminiwireless.com

Sep 28, 2005, 4:51 PM
T-mobile will let you activate a phone in the name of mickey mouse for a $1000 deposit. Cricket requires either a Drivers License number or social security number
pete1660

Sep 28, 2005, 5:18 PM
hahahahahahahahahaha

thx for the good laugh, I really needed it.
ralph_on_me

Sep 28, 2005, 5:23 PM
That would almost be worth putting $1000 down to have.
djdelay

Sep 28, 2005, 5:44 PM
Get Metro PCS....I have filed insurance claims for Captain Crunch, Mr. Big, Datboy Tragic, and Cutie Pie.....no thousand dollar deposit with them. i don't even think you're required to spell the word "CREDIT" to get a line there.
daddydogg_00

Oct 6, 2005, 11:00 PM
It is based on a credit history and some times the bureaus will have a history without a social. Now the company i work for they need 2 id's and $300 for a deposit and we should be able to get it done for you!
texaswireless

Sep 28, 2005, 9:40 PM
Children, children,

You are not required to give your SSN to get a cell phone or have your credit run. You simply enter a fake SSN and the Credit Review folks must establish your credit worthiness with questions about data on said report.

I have done it many times. Most customers either don't know enough about their own credit to do this check or don't care if they give out their SSN.
captainplooky

Sep 29, 2005, 11:30 AM
Glad someone answered this intelligently.

It's a shame more people aren't taught how truly important their SSN is and don't guard it with more zeal.

It's even more amusing to me to see people mock others for understanding how important it is and belittle those who wish to keep it private for doing something everyone should do.

But hey, if your happy with everyone and anyone you do business with knowing your SSN by all means - enjoy your ignorance filled kool-aid 🤣
texaswireless

Sep 29, 2005, 1:54 PM
One post since September 7th and now you are back. Not sure how to feel on this one.
alejandro

Sep 29, 2005, 3:57 PM
571-73-1349
alejandro

Sep 29, 2005, 4:01 PM
i don't know how your company does it but when someone gives the wrong SSN my companies credit department will make me call in to see what went wrong, they either say that SSN has never been issued, or that there is a different name on the SS account or that the birthdate does not match the one provided by state ID. And once I even got a "this SSN has been reported for identity theft and that person has to fax something to us from the number identified under the identity theft report to consider this valid"
texaswireless

Sep 29, 2005, 4:02 PM
And if you tell them the customer does not wish to provide their SSN to run their credit they are required by law to obtain alternate identity verification.
alejandro

Sep 29, 2005, 4:08 PM
tell us cellular that.
texaswireless

Sep 29, 2005, 4:21 PM
Someone high enough up knows how it works. If you don't accept alternate identity I believe they could be liable for credit discrimination.

That's what the customer with whom I first did this process said and the credit review department concurred. From what I have read since then I believe it to be true.
75vette

Sep 29, 2005, 5:10 PM
very interesting
ccanady

Sep 29, 2005, 3:15 PM
I do not think your customer tops mines. How about this for a story, customer comes in and at first is arguing with an employee of mines. I do not know the full story how this got started but all I heard was him telling her God does not need a cell phone and if so, for what. Then she got up set (lol) and wanted me to help her. We then get all her info except her social. I asked for it and she said is there a way to fun credit w/o it. I then call to see if there is a chance just to entertain her question. They tells them to get some one higher up, and get this casue its so funny and if true she is stupid. She tells them she can not give her social out becasue she is under witness protection and can not give out her social or she might get tra...
(continues)
themike314

Sep 29, 2005, 5:11 PM
If she's under witness protection, she would be provided with a new identity - including a new SSN.
PolarIce

Oct 1, 2005, 6:08 PM
LMAO...

🤣
Vox Dei

Sep 29, 2005, 6:07 PM
I don't know about other states but in CA you CANNOT require a SSN to activate. but they must provide enough information to run a credit check like a divers license and credit card. Usually you have to do it in a store though you can't do it online or over the phone.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.