Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 7 replies

Katrina communications

jerrydock

Sep 1, 2005, 2:23 PM
I just got a text message from one of our customers who is stranded at the Hyatt in New Orleans.

His GSM phone is pulling Cingular signal. He has to wait on voice calls; but can text like crazy. So if you are trying to reach someone in that area...TEXT them.
Nikoletta

Sep 1, 2005, 3:09 PM
That is wonderful information to know, thank you for sharing that with us.
lovingchaos1978

Sep 1, 2005, 4:57 PM
This may come off as rude..but shouldn't we all, working in the wireless industry already know this. 😳
Nikoletta

Sep 1, 2005, 5:13 PM
A lot of us are low level peons and they tell us exactly nothing so we don't know if our towers are currently functioning or even still standing in parts of Louisiana.
Vox Dei

Sep 1, 2005, 6:15 PM
Ya. this is pretty standard. The towers are probably overloaded with everyone trying to call and the fact that alot of the towers were nocked out. They can't get COW's (mobile towers) out there like they normaly would for obvious resaons. Text messaging uses the data portion of the spectrum and alot less of it than a call would.
Nikoletta

Sep 4, 2005, 3:36 PM
If you go onto the T-Mobile forum there is actually a big post about what's been done by T-Mobile as far as the situation in areas affected by Katrina. On another note, my friend Kat says she's about had it with everybody blaming her for the mess in Louisiana (as her given name is Katrina.)
axess_denied

Sep 9, 2005, 1:36 PM
The New York Post on Saturday September 3rd reported about a T-Mobile store in Gulfport that brought a generator in to power a COW and had 1500 survivors line up over two days to make FREE calls that T-Mobile was sponsoring t family and friends throughout the US!
After so many people made calls the generator ran out of fuel and the COW was without power. This is great and it is a heck of a lot more than any of T-Mobile's competition has so far done. Start donating to 2HELP, just text help to that number and you make a $5 donation to the victims of Katrina!
Nikoletta

Sep 10, 2005, 8:02 PM
http://www.t-mobile.com/hurricane/default.asp »

I just found this link talking about what T-Mobile is doing to help with the relief effort in areas affected by Katrina.

(I get really bored at work and they restrict our 'allowed' sites so much I have to dig around the company site just to find something new to read.)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.