Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 28 replies

I wanna know

sickofitall

Aug 11, 2005, 9:15 PM
why it seems like everyone in my call center is getting fired? I know of 4 people who were walked out of the building this week. I can understand letting people go when they never come to work, but i am told these people were let go bc they were not making their stats!!

IMO Cingular is getting rid of people anyway they can. I believe one reason is that they can save $ by paying a new hire much less than someone who has been around for a couple of years.

I am afraid for my job!! I don't always make my stats, but my quality scores are consistantly 100%. I don't care if the problem is solved in under 500 seconds as long as the problem gets solved, and Cingular shouldn't either. Obviously numbers mean more to the company than custom...
(continues)
ZombieJ

Aug 11, 2005, 10:04 PM
"Obviously numbers mean more to the company than customer satisfaction."

- You answered your own question.
texaswireless

Aug 12, 2005, 12:06 AM
I am not in a call center so I am not aware what these actual numbers might be but I want to be devils advocate here for a sec:

1. Is it possible these are numbers other more successful companies in the arena of customer service hit and therefore are being used as a measurement of success?

2. Is it possible these numbers are the reflection of focus groups and customer surveys as part of a way to improve service?

3. Are other employees (not just in your center, but all centers) hitting these goals? Do they find them so important that if you are unable to acheive them after receiving adequate training they feel like they need to cut their losses?

The hardest thing to do is change someones habits. That is one big reason I tend ...
(continues)
wolfspider73

Aug 12, 2005, 8:42 PM
The stats sickofitall are referring to is the PAR metrics (Personal Accountability Reporting). Reps are expected to meet an average handletime of 600 seconds or less, a transfer rate of 10% or less, availability of 80% or more (time spent on a call with a customer or waiting for a call) and a short call rate less than 2% (short call is a call less than 20 seconds). Not sure where those numbers came from, but they are pretty ambitious. In our call center, which deals with former ATTWS customers, approximately 35-40% of agents meet AWIT (all 4 targets) on any one given day.

Adequate training is one thing - if you can navigate through the systems and are able to find information quickly and easily, have average or above typing speed and are...
(continues)
texaswireless

Aug 13, 2005, 10:51 AM
Are other call centers acheiving these goals at a higher rate? Are Verizon or T-Mobile doing these things better? Are these things items things that customers in focus groups have said will make a difference?

No offense but your same argument has been made a 100 times over in here, whether valid or not. I am really hoping to see if these figures are a pipe dream in comparison to the entire industry or if they are based on some concrete data that if we do better with these our customer satisfaction should go in a positive direction.

If you want to say they are indeed a pipe dream and not realistic at all please cite examples of how other centers of the competition can be doing better.

Last year ATTWS ranked 6th and Cingular 4th in...
(continues)
wolfspider73

Aug 13, 2005, 5:47 PM
Our call centre primarily handles legacy ATTWS customers, both TDMA and GSM. We recently pulled 300 associates from the ATTWS care team and moved them to Cingular XBM, but the remaining 1300 or so take legacy blue calls. To my knowledge, there is no other call centre with such a high concentration of legacy blue calls. This is significant because we use different systems - siebel, CUP, AXYS. These systems are old and slow. To give you an example, to modify a billing address is a 9 step process, to add or remove a feature on a single line takes at least 3 minutes. Luckily, Cingular recognizes this and is migrating accounts to Telegence over the next month or so. Out of 44 or 48 sites, we rank around 30-35 or so. We have an outstanding trainin...
(continues)
wolfspider73

Aug 13, 2005, 5:49 PM
an edit to my above post, it should read that I have NEVER done an unnecessary transfer ... my bad ... 🤭
timslo

Aug 17, 2005, 7:59 PM
Well said! 😁 Cingular has ranked low in customer service based on J.D Powers and other groups for a very long time. It was made clear after last year's scores that it reflects customer service in stores as well. I work in a store and I've handled all sorts of problems from other agents, corporate reps, and cust. svc. reps, not to mention e-store and telesales mistakes, and as long as you take care of the customer, that's all that should matter.

I think the biggest mistake any representative of Cingular could make, whether at store or over the phone, is to play the blame game. It's unprofessional and it makes the company look bad. It could result in loss of business which would put everyone out on the street. In short: Take care of the ...
(continues)
lovingchaos1978

Aug 18, 2005, 3:34 PM
wolfspider73 said:
I have dealt with rude and arrogant sales reps, I have corrected the misinformation reps have given in order to sell a product and I have removed the features store reps have slammed the customer with.

The "free" features being added and then charging the customers 1 month-3 months later is complete crap. There is not one day that goes by that I don't receive a call about this. It is always an escalated issue as well. The other is Cingular store reps telling customers they have to immediately switch their services to cingular. Misonformation and slamming from store reps are two of the biggest issues I deal with on a daily basis. They are always lengthy escalated calls and rightly so. S...
(continues)
jerrydock

Aug 17, 2005, 3:03 PM
As a store rep, I have found it highly useful to notate the account fully before I call Care. It helps them get a quick fix an the problem and make adjustments quickly. It also gives them something to fall back on if a supervisor challenges them.
LOVELYT11

Aug 18, 2005, 1:10 PM
i have to completely agree with you on this and you know what it really sucks what reps go thru for trying to be the customers advocate. ☚ī¸ :
UOQuack

Aug 17, 2005, 11:19 AM
Having worked in a call center for about a year, I wanted to weigh in on this thread. I was a computer tech/customer support agent for eMachines computers, working for a company which contracted with eMachines to provide call support. The goals and numbers I see listed here for Cingular do seem to me to be unusually ambitious. The place I worked, we were graded statistically on our time on call, which was supposed to be max 8 minutes, and our After Call Waiting, which was time spent making notes, etc, max 60 seconds. We were also graded in our respective teams by who had the most number of calls taken. Our performance was also reviewed by monitoring, and we had scores that we were given for resolution of problems, courtesy to customers,...
(continues)
Vox Dei

Aug 17, 2005, 3:27 PM
Let me give you a little idea of Cingulars call center. I worked for AWS for 2.5 years and i enjoyed my job. The pay wasn't great but it was better than a fast food restaraunt. For the majority of calls we were given enough systems, training and support from other departments to be able to do our job efficantly and effectivly. Average call times were 500-600 seconds and was easly acheaved. Cingular takes over and we stop recieving training (except for Cingular is number one training). We were given new systems with bare minimum traning and not given any information on any of the new policys we were supposed to adhear to untill we have broken one of them. Call times when over 800 seconds and transfers to other departments sometimes too...
(continues)
texaswireless

Aug 17, 2005, 4:01 PM
So these numbers are able to be acheived in, let's say, a more veteran call center?

Transition can be very tough indeed. What about Cingular calls centers that have been the same "policy wise" for a decent length of time (for instance, the Lubbock call center has been cingular for many many years. From what I been told by tenured employees things have not changed for the worse). Shouldn't they be able to hit these stats without issue?
Vox Dei

Aug 17, 2005, 5:17 PM
I don't know about centers that have been Cingular centers that weren't AWS before but i know the only people meeting target were people who were sacrifysing Customer Care. At the call center i'm in now for a different company i can easly meat 400 seconds (half what i was doing at Cingular) just because it is much easyer to complete the customers request.
texaswireless

Aug 17, 2005, 5:38 PM
That is good to know, and what I think Cingular is basing their goals.

I don't know the call center routines as well as others and when many here (granted, small communiyty and usually the ones most vocal are on the extreme sides of issues) complained these figures were not able to be hit I was curious.

Transition to a new system definately is cause for baby steps, especially with management learning as well. Long term reps or centers with consistent information should be able to hit these goals as your new center does with regularity.
Kadeez

Aug 17, 2005, 8:32 PM
You are very lucky that your call time is 500-600 seconds. With Verizon Wireless it is 350. People here are always being walked out the door...it is mostly for quality or attendance. VZW doesn't play with either of those two metrics. From the different call centers I've worked in and industry they are all pretty much the same! Good Luck and just CYA!
Vox Dei

Aug 17, 2005, 10:54 PM
I'm not sure if either of you are understanding what i'm saying. getting 600-700 seconds is extreamly tough at the call center i worked for and still give the customer service that customers deserve. In order to acheave these goals you had to deal with the issue and push them out the door. This is because there was no support from either managment or other departments. I worked for Cingular for 3 months before i found out what their ETF is. I asked my managers and they told me they would get back to me. No one could tell me what it was and i was doing migrations and selling phones with renewed contracts and different ETF's. I had worked for AWS for 2 years before that with excelent stats and excelent Quality scores.

Now i work for ...
(continues)
Kadeez

Aug 18, 2005, 7:41 AM
Good for you cutting your handle time. It sounds as though Cingular has a lot of issues that need to be worked out. The ETF was drilled into me from the moment I walked in the door at VZW. I don't believe it is possible to not know what the M&P's are there. They make that info so readily available. I'm glad you have a better job. Good Luck to you!!!!!
lovingchaos1978

Aug 18, 2005, 3:47 PM
I don't know what systems you have accsess to but I mean couldn't you proactively search for these answers yourself with the systems you currently have.
Vox Dei

Aug 18, 2005, 4:14 PM
Nope. Had no Cingular information. Only information i was given was about AWS policys and what was given on the migration system. And believe me i looked for ETF's on there. Finaly after 3 months of "We'll get back to you" i called an Orange center and got a really cool rep who showed me CSP. Fortunatly it was the same login as my migration tool. after 6 months when i quit I still hadn't been shown CSP by anyone offical.
BlueHFX

Aug 12, 2005, 5:24 AM
It depends on your center. It could be one their performance. If they are generally bad reps or miss a lot of time they get rid of them. If you are third party center you are revenue and missing time cost the company money with lost revenue. A lot may depend on how well people follow policy. From being in care and having some employees call in the way they act and what they expect i see why some are let go.
Vox Dei

Aug 12, 2005, 2:18 PM
I know a guy that got called in to his OM's office and they had a discusion about him finding another job and they would talk more next week. Then on the day he was supposed to have his "talk" about him being fired his OM was fired before him 😛. He had a really good day then 😁
wolfspider73

Aug 14, 2005, 4:42 PM
I don't have the exact percentages of customer complaints, but based on feedback obtained through third party survey groups, customers complained of excessive hold times, I think over 20 but less than 25% complained they felt the issue was not resolved (resolution), and the other top two complaints were misinformation and representative's tone and demeanor.

What we've done to correct these issues is the new call quality monitor that's in place, increased call quality monitors (8 per month per rep), more interactive sessions with managers to identify challenges and put into place a plan of action for improvement. The PAR metrics are as much about making sure we take more calls in the run of a shift than anything. The more efficient we are...
(continues)
UOQuack

Aug 17, 2005, 11:31 AM
I feel your pain. Issues simply cannot always be resolved as quickly as the management would like. When I worked in a call center, I had frequent calls from elderly people who barely knew how to turn on their computer. I would first have to help them learn what each component of the computer was before I could even begin to attempt to resolve the issue. And talk about the wildcard...we had one famous customer at our call center that many reps had spoken to; she would call in complaining about the voices in her computer. I never spoke to the woman, but I read the call notes covering several months and hundreds of calls, all documented by various reps. Amazing what they went through with her.

But back to your point. The focus should ...
(continues)
lovingchaos1978

Aug 18, 2005, 3:27 PM
Here my stats AVG. from when I started on the floor.

AVG # OF CALLS HANDLED-34
AVG TALK TIME-553 SECONDS
AVG WRAP TIME-49 SECONDS
AVG HOLD TIME-53 SECONDS
AVG HANDLE TIME- 655 SECONDS
QUALITY SCORE 97.5
AVG PRODUCTION MINS 2270
elephantman

Aug 19, 2005, 4:11 PM
Here are my stats: Shutup
John Bunyan

Aug 20, 2005, 12:22 PM
So what you're saying is that matter can neither be created or destroyed? Interesting...
Renegade_Fart

Aug 20, 2005, 12:26 PM
Indeed sand is interesting.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.