Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 17 replies

The Behavioral Interview

freephones4all

Aug 9, 2005, 2:39 AM
Anyone have any tips on behavioral interviews? I am so frustrated. Used to be we were promoted and moved to new positions based on past performance. I am having a problem getting new positions because I am not doing well with the behavioral interview. I would so appreciate any tips or advice.
BlueHFX

Aug 9, 2005, 6:05 AM
Practice I know what you they can be hard but be honest think about past questions and research if you have to. I think there is info on the Internet somewhere just not sure where. Look around is all I can suggest on that part. Good luck in your interview.
freephones4all

Aug 10, 2005, 1:31 AM
Thanks. I will practice. Maybe take a look at my strategy and what's not working.
I tried so hard on my last interview because I really want to go back to one of our call centers. But since I have'nt had an offer from HR yet i dont believe I got it. It's starting to get me down. I dont know what I am doing wrong. I have been with this company for six years and never had a problem till a few months ago. I mean, the hiring is not based on my past performance or experience (11 years)Its all based on the interview. The words,"It's not fair" never leave my lips. It's a pet peave. But tonight it's on the tip of my tongue.
I am usually very positive. But right now I am so frustrated.
Also, I am dressing business appropriate at these interviews...
(continues)
BlueHFX

Aug 10, 2005, 6:54 AM
freephones4all said:
Thanks. I will practice. Maybe take a look at my strategy and what's not working.
I tried so hard on my last interview because I really want to go back to one of our call centers. But since I have'nt had an offer from HR yet i dont believe I got it. It's starting to get me down. I dont know what I am doing wrong. I have been with this company for six years and never had a problem till a few months ago. I mean, the hiring is not based on my past performance or experience (11 years)Its all based on the interview. The words, not fair" never leave my lips. It's a pet peave. But tonight it's on the tip of my tongue.
I am usually very positive. But right now I am so frustrated.
Also, I am dressing busi
(continues)
blue101

Aug 9, 2005, 11:12 AM
Dumb question but what is this? I have never heard of it before. Just asking cause I just applied to quality.
BlueHFX

Aug 9, 2005, 3:32 PM
blue101 said:
Dumb question but what is this? I have never heard of it before. Just asking cause I just applied to quality.

They ask different questions and different situations and you have to describe how you would react to the situation. They want to know how you would handle different situations or situations in the past.
blue101

Aug 9, 2005, 7:04 PM
Oh that doesnt sound so bad. That's pretty much what my psych finals were but than we had to explain why we would react that way.
BlueHFX

Aug 9, 2005, 7:28 PM
blue101 said:
Oh that doesnt sound so bad. That's pretty much what my psych finals were but than we had to explain why we would react that way.

Then you should not have a problem. You may have a similar situation in the interview as well. They are really not hard at all.
Tampa_VZW_Jim

Aug 10, 2005, 10:20 AM
one thing you should keep in mind, especially when they ask about past experiences, is that they can't prove any stories you may tell.so LIE LIE LIE!!!!
freephones4all

Aug 10, 2005, 12:39 PM
Thats exactly what my co-workers who are getting the jobs say. OK. So there has to be something to it.
Thanks
BlueHFX

Aug 10, 2005, 1:15 PM
freephones4all said:
Thats exactly what my co-workers who are getting the jobs say. OK. So there has to be something to it.
Thanks

As long as you are good at bs then yes it works as well.
chinocooks

Aug 10, 2005, 12:57 PM
At VZW, we use a "STARS" interviewing method. In this method, you are asked something like "Name a time when you had to ...". When given this, they are looking for specifics. You must give a SITUATION or TASK that relates to the question. Then, you must expain the ACTIONS you took to address the issue, then the RESULTS of your actions. It's okay if the results were not successful every time. BUT, if they are not positive results, be sure to add what you learned from the experience, and what you would do differently next time, should the situation arise again.

If you were to interview at VZW, and if you can see the paper they are writing on, you'll notice 3 columns. One is for your stated Situation/Task, next for your Actions, the...
(continues)
BlueHFX

Aug 12, 2005, 5:13 AM
chinocooks said:
At VZW, we use a "STARS" interviewing method. In this method, you are asked something like "Name a time when you had to ...". When given this, they are looking for specifics. You must give a SITUATION or TASK that relates to the question. Then, you must expain the ACTIONS you took to address the issue, then the RESULTS of your actions. It's okay if the results were not successful every time. BUT, if they are not positive results, be sure to add what you learned from the experience, and what you would do differently next time, should the situation arise again.

If you were to interview at VZW, and if you can see the paper they are writing on, you'll notice 3 columns. One is for your stated Situa
(continues)
tom4osu

Aug 10, 2005, 1:05 PM
The best advice I can give (and I have been interviewing on both sides of the table and using these). Look at the position that you waht, think of some situations for questions they will ask, and give clear concise examples of 1.) What the problem was 2.) How you fixed the problem and 3.) How the company benefited from the action you did. Keep this in mind when you answer the questions, and if you are unsure ask them. "Did I answer your question?"
freephones4all

Aug 12, 2005, 12:16 AM
Thanks. I appreciate the input. I was getting pretty frustrated. But I feel more confidant and comfortakble now.
BlueHFX

Aug 12, 2005, 5:17 AM
freephones4all said:
Thanks. I appreciate the input. I was getting pretty frustrated. But I feel more confidant and comfortakble now.

Good luck I sure you do fine. Regardless these interviews are good learning experience. If you do not get it go for feedback. They usually have no problem with that at all. they will give you tips on where you can improve. I got it before without asking because everyone else in the department thought i should get it and I familiar with many things. what got me was I need to get an excel course in an learn more on that program that was most of the problem for me. But now I got in XBM and love this department not even an interview for this one but I like it.
elephantman

Aug 20, 2005, 12:31 PM
It all depends on who you sleep with and how much booze you can put on the company credit card.
John Bunyan

Aug 20, 2005, 12:40 PM
Well if your behavior is beyond primordial ooze and those funny Chimpanzees you see at the zoo... You deserve a promo! You should really start sleeping with the right people.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.