Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 13 replies

Is the iPhone 4S 4G capable?

FirstOfSyn

Jan 9, 2012, 2:05 PM
A friend of mine was looking at the AT&T wireless site and saw that the iPhone 4S is categorized as a 4G phone. To my understanding there was not an iPhone that supports LTE or WIMAX, is this true?
HatesBlackberrys

Jan 9, 2012, 2:32 PM
There is NO 4G iPhone. Apple has not made a single one yet, the 4s is the same across all networks it's available.
Steve Jobes

Jan 9, 2012, 2:52 PM
How incredibly convenient that the iPhone 4 was named so, just as 4G was rolling out on major carriers nationwide.

As a salesman in the wireless industry, I cannot tell you how many times I've had to clarify that the iPhone 4 and 4S are most certainly not 4G compatible devices - and I know my experience is not atypical.

I believe Apple took great advantage of the 4G hype, and without delivering an actual 4G product, was able to fool millions of American consumers into believing they had purchased a 4G device simply because of the name and that it had a 4 in it.

Hell, I've actually gotten into relatively heated arguments with customers over this very issue.

Gotta love Apple. They own 15% of the smartphone market, yet pu...
(continues)
FirstOfSyn

Jan 9, 2012, 3:27 PM
Steve Jobes said:
As a salesman in the wireless industry, I cannot tell you how many times I've had to clarify that the iPhone 4 and 4S are most certainly not 4G compatible devices - and I know my experience is not atypical.

I'd imagine AT&T saleman have the same problem with their faulty advertising. I went to the website myself and selected 4G in the filter section and the iPhone 4S is the first phone to come up
Steve Jobes

Jan 9, 2012, 3:35 PM
Interesting. I wonder whether that was an earnest mistake or whether AT&T decided to iterate the quasi-false advertising.
Sisyphus

Jan 9, 2012, 9:46 PM
Att iPhone is able to access hspa+ which is allowed to be advertised as 4g
Steve Jobes

Jan 10, 2012, 12:04 PM
I didn't know that. Even so, HSPA+ isn't really 4G, but I don't even want to get into that argument.
famoussasjohn

Jan 10, 2012, 9:29 AM
4S is AT&T's HSPA+ "4G", Apple doesn't advertise the iPhone 4S as 4G, AT&T does. Apple doesn't advertise the iPhone for specific carriers, but just the individual device it's self, their ads would be all over the place with AT&T blah blah 4G, Verizon and Sprint blah blah 3G.
truthinsuffering

Jan 12, 2012, 9:51 PM
Sorry for last reply I meant AT&T's Iphone 4s is 4g Capable with HSPA+ Network, no other network has this capability yet, there is no LTE or WiMax Iphone yet.
Fredd

Jan 9, 2012, 3:58 PM
The iPhone 4S on the AT&T network is HSDPA+ capable, qualified as a 4G device (but not LTE).

T-Mobile had appealed the definition of 4G to include HSDPA+, once that was OK'd AT&T followed their suit in naming conventions.
Jellz

Jan 9, 2012, 3:59 PM
It has HSPA+ 14 MBPS capability on the AT&T network, which is classified as '4G.' Which means it's not the same on all the networks, if you live in an area that AT&T calls 4G, you'd probably be going faster on your iPhone than Verizon or Sprint counterparts, which would be going off their CDMA networks.

Does that mean it's '4G?' Eh.
ondisplay

Jan 9, 2012, 6:59 PM
Technically correct is the best kind of correct.
famoussasjohn

Jan 10, 2012, 9:33 AM
when doing an internet speed test on the 4S compared to my 4, the 4S was getting double the speeds. I was around 2Mbps and the 4S was a little over 4Mbps. Not bad on a 2-3 bar connection.
truthinsuffering

Jan 12, 2012, 9:50 PM
OK, The iphone 4s, is not true 4g but it is HSPA+ Capable, same thing T-mobile runs on for it's 4G......

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.