Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

4G Detials for Tmobile and att??

Pimptopian

Feb 3, 2011, 6:45 PM
Does anyone know the legal aspects of how t-mobile and att are saying that they have 4g, or is it just not against the law and anyone can say they have 4g as long as it is different from their current network?
dj89

Feb 3, 2011, 11:25 PM
It seems that they are treating 4g subjectively. From how it's measured in the US, only speed seems to matter, really.

According to my employer, Sprint and Verizon tried to get legal action for the Big T to drop it, and I'm sure AT&T was consulting as well. The result? AT&T started doing the same thing, after criticizing T-Mobile for it a few months before.
OrionsVantage

Feb 5, 2011, 7:50 PM
The only reason AT&T started is because HSPA+ was added to the list of acceptable 4g technologies.
Chaos

Feb 4, 2011, 9:32 AM
From what I understand 4G has no definition when it comes to speed of the network in terms of marketing.

Cell companies will all say they have 4G even though they are using different tech to do so.

Its really so that the masses of people who do not work in or follow the cell industry can see that there is a difference, no matter how small.
IrishCarBomb

Feb 6, 2011, 1:22 AM
4G can be defined as anything by a company's marketing department so long as it doesn't contradict an already well established public idea. Since the idea of 4G being LTE Advanced technologies isn't well established, they pass that hurdle. On top of that, for t-mobile it is there 4th generation mobile network.

Most of all, HSPA+ is now a certified 4G technology.

You should toss Sprint and Verizon into your mix as well if you want to be a hair splitter. WiMax is a 2G WiFi technology, and LTE was/is a 3G technology, and is Verizon's 3rd generation of network technology as well.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.