all discussions

show all 18 replies

new phone

thndvdsaid

Jan 29, 2011, 5:59 PM
should I get the samsung captivate or the iphone 3gs
IrishCarBomb

Jan 29, 2011, 6:24 PM
Captivate has better specs across the board.
thndvdsaid

Jan 29, 2011, 6:31 PM
I read something about it not supporting third party applications I don't really know what that means but is that a problem?
and is it hard to put music on the captivate compared to the simplicity of itunes to iphone
PrettyInPink817

Jan 29, 2011, 6:38 PM
go with the iphone 3gs. sorry i like android but i would go with the 3gs over the captivate.
thndvdsaid

Jan 29, 2011, 6:45 PM
do you have any reasons for picking the 3gs
PrettyInPink817

Jan 29, 2011, 6:46 PM
i have heard a few things about the captivate with the touch screen going out never had contact with the phone myself but some of my friends like the phone but the touch screen is a issue?
bluedrummer27

Jan 29, 2011, 7:09 PM
iOS runs alot more smoothly than Android. I have the EVO and the iPhone 4, and the EVO is CONSTANTLY bogging down and slow to respond as compared to the iPhone, which never, if ever bogs down.
thndvdsaid

Jan 29, 2011, 7:23 PM
well I don't have the money for the 4 I'd be getting the 3gs so would it be the same deal
IrishCarBomb

Jan 29, 2011, 7:00 PM
Why wouldn't it support 3rd party apps? (it does support the full Android Market, btw, don't believe everything you hear)

As for music, depends on where your music library is at. If you have all your music on iTunes, then the iPhone will be easier to sync, if something else the Captivate will be easier.

Realistic, if you want your phone to be your music player, iPhone is a better option, but to base your choice on that doesn't make sense to me. Odds are you already have an iPod of sorts, so the iPhone would be redundant. Why not get something that brings different aspects to the table?

Cativate is newer, with better specs, better screen, camera, etc. Runs circles around an iPhone 3Gs in every category, minus syncing with iTunes....
(continues)
thndvdsaid

Jan 29, 2011, 7:05 PM
thanks a lot I really appreciate it
I've read some things about lags between apps and occasional freezes have you had any problems with that
and can you explain what is meant by att mobile hotspots because I thought it was wifi capable but then read otherwise
IrishCarBomb

Jan 29, 2011, 7:11 PM
The lag issue is a result of the file format used for saving application data, it is very secure, but slows down over time, thus causing loading times to be a bit longer. For some this can even mean a total freeze (although pretty rare and likely an issue with that single phone more so than all phones).

I personally am rooted and running a custom ROM, though, so totally stock experience isn't something I am super familiar with, as well I have a Vibrant (both are Galaxy S phones, and as such the exact same thing minus carrier and aesthetics).

As for WiFi hotspots, AT&T has a nationwide network of WiFi hotspots their customers get free access too. You can use other WiFi as well, such as a home network. It is mostly for when you are ou...
(continues)
thndvdsaid

Jan 29, 2011, 7:19 PM
ohhh ok. so do you think this is the best att phone available
IrishCarBomb

Jan 29, 2011, 7:22 PM
Honestly, I would say the iPhone 4 is the best phone on AT&T, even though I am a huge android fan, captivate is a close second, but they have some new Android phones coming soon, like the Moto Atrix that will raise the bar.
thndvdsaid

Jan 29, 2011, 7:25 PM
but the captivate is definitely better than the 3gs? and the thing is money so the only reason I'm looking at these two phones specifically is I've found pretty good deals on them and it doesn't seem like the other phones prices will drop any time soon
IrishCarBomb

Jan 29, 2011, 7:34 PM
I would say the Captivate is better overall, but there is still personal preferences involved.

I guess, what are you going to be using the phone for? Do you have a large iTunes library and want one device for both music and phone?

Either phone will have tons of apps, and on the whole be a very complete experience. The Captivate has a better screen and faster specs, so can handle more intense cames, etc.

But the 3GS is no slouch either, and iOS is very smooth (smoother than the Captivate, because it is hardware accelerated instead of software, aka the 3GS has the CPU process the raw code, where as the Captivate has the CPU run an app to process the raw code).

You can't really go wrong with either. Personally, I prefer Android o...
(continues)
thndvdsaid

Jan 29, 2011, 7:38 PM
well I guess I ahve really no need for either but I have over 30 gigs worth of music so the iphone wouldn't be able to hold it all anyway so I use an 80 gb ipod. however it would be nice to have a decent amount of music on my phone. most of what I'd probably use it for is texting with occasional use of email and a fair amount of web browsing but nothing completely serious
IrishCarBomb

Jan 29, 2011, 7:54 PM
I would say 3GS would be fit your needs with that much iTunes music, and what you will be using it for.
thndvdsaid

Jan 29, 2011, 8:09 PM
ok thanks I guess I'll figure it out soon
callcenterrep69

Jan 31, 2011, 7:08 AM
EVERY att android so far does not allow for installation of any apps that do not come from the market. I know a guy that had to root his captivate to do so. They lack the "Unknown Sources" checkbox. Gotta love AT&T! 🤨

This thread has been closed by a moderator.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.