Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 23 replies

water damage

dj89

Nov 28, 2010, 1:41 PM
I'm a Sprint rep, and I'm aware that once water hits a phone, the phone is pretty much dead. Kind of like a mobile cancer.

Here's what happened. I had a momentary lapse in common sense and decided to browse on my Incognito while enjoying a hot bath. I picked it up and removed the battery as soon as it hit the water, and the indicator does not show water damage, but the inside screen went blank and i could only use the phone for calls using the outside touch keypad.

Now, just a few hours ago, my screen came back on and my phone seems to be working normally. Did my phone escape certain death, or is it just a matter of time until I have to go back to BB and get another one? If the latter, how much time might I have?
famoussasjohn

Nov 28, 2010, 2:19 PM
probably a matter of time. I would put the phone in rice and let it sit for a few days, to soak up all the water, but it can randomly just die because of the water damage. If you have insurance, I would get it replaced with a new phone.
JTRaven

Nov 28, 2010, 4:05 PM
I have had a few people that it happened to, and still got a warranty replacement phone for free because the stickers didn't show it.
slolearner

Nov 29, 2010, 12:08 PM
JTRaven said:
I have had a few people that it happened to, and still got a warranty replacement phone for free because the stickers didn't show it.

Be careful. Some phones have internal LDIs! If they find fault with the phone that you caused, they'll make you pay for the warranty replacement.
JTRaven

Nov 29, 2010, 12:18 PM
We always try to be careful about it, most customers call in them selfs after we warn them about it, and not being a corp. store I can't leave notes on the account to give a heads up
slolearner

Nov 29, 2010, 12:25 PM
Who do you work for?
JTRaven

Nov 29, 2010, 12:29 PM
A verizon retailer
slolearner

Nov 29, 2010, 1:24 PM
Ah. Was going to say, if you're AT&T, There is a way for indirect sales channels to leave account notes!
JTRaven

Nov 29, 2010, 1:25 PM
Yeah I wish they would do that for us it sucks some times or when someone comes in and says they said you can look at the notes on my account 👿 👿 👿
Dollgrin

Nov 28, 2010, 5:31 PM
I used to be a technician in a Sprint store and chances are when they open it up there will be visible damage on the board.

You'll probably have to go through insurance and pay the deductible, unless you want to spend the time in store and hope they either A) dont see it B) dont open it and just swap you out or C) take pity on you and give you a break.

My boss was very back and forth, so one day he'd give people breaks (or if they were hot girls he'd make an exception), and other days he'd see one scratch on a phone and call it physical damage. You store may be different. The worst that'll happen is they'll tell you to go through insurance.
slolearner

Nov 29, 2010, 12:25 PM
Dollgrin said:
You'll probably have to go through insurance and pay the deductible, unless you want to spend the time in store and hope they either A) dont see it B) dont open it and just swap you out or C) take pity on you and give you a break.

Please don't do this. At least with an indirect dealer.

We just recently had a customer exchange a phone, claiming it was dead on arrival. LDIs were white, and the phone would not power on, so we took it in and sent it back in our daily RMA. A week later we got it back with a memo stating it had indications of internal water damage. Called the customer admits she got it wet, yet refuses to return replacement or pay liquidated damages... so that's cool.
Dollgrin

Nov 29, 2010, 2:18 PM
I was talking about taking it to a tech location, meaning they have technicians on duty who take apart the phones. That wasn't meant as a pass to take it to any store to see what they do. I thought I made that clear in my post but ill have to go back a re read it I suppose.
Amarantamin

Nov 29, 2010, 4:27 PM
If the battery is removed and the phone is allowed to dry thoroughly, it may still work well. My last phone (Rumor2) fell into boiling macaroni and survived.
Fredd

Nov 29, 2010, 4:34 PM
But afterwards he could only use it to call for take-out Italian or pizza delivery!
Researcher

Nov 29, 2010, 8:28 PM
🤣
DiVaughn

Dec 22, 2010, 3:03 AM
It's true! My husband had an a920 that worked for three years and six months after he jumped in the pool with it in the pocket of his trunks. He got to playing with a Hero when I was shopping for my Moment and found out how slow the Sprint Music Store really was, and upgraded. Not that the phone quit working, mind you, just that it was a dinosaur that he'd had for 4 years... 🙂
gringo zona norte

Nov 29, 2010, 8:33 PM
my HTC touch pro 2 survived a drop in the toilet and was working perfect...
Copper Emeritus

Nov 29, 2010, 9:54 PM
Ah, now we know where the nick name S**t Head" came from!
cynicaldreams

May 6, 2011, 2:08 PM
Well, you lasted until yesterday, so 5 months and a week after taking a bath.

Not only that, but you survived constant drops, at least three hits to the wall from across the room (for the record, those were your fault for messing up on me), and that one time I left you with a 2 year old for 5 hours.

I might not have been the best owner for you, and you might have lashed out at me a couple times by refusing to let me see my nasty videos and restarting when I go to youtube, and dropping calls from my girlfriend at any given time, but in the end, I appreciate all you did for me, you silver, square piece of crap.

So long, Incognito. 😢
medic6037

May 6, 2011, 2:11 PM
I dumped my BB underwater for half an hour. Pulled it out of my pocket dried it for like a day and it worked fine until i upgraded
cynicaldreams

May 6, 2011, 2:14 PM
Were you trying to waterboard it?
medic6037

May 6, 2011, 2:40 PM
lol. no. I was helping a friend open up his pool and i had to jump in a push the cover, but forgot to check my pockets and the water was waist deep. So about half an hour goes by and i get the urge to check my pocket just to pull out my phone. Just let it sit and dry and it worked fine for over a year
cynicaldreams

May 6, 2011, 3:31 PM
Wow. That was a tough cookie. Was that a curve?
medic6037

May 6, 2011, 3:55 PM
Yep. If it was an other one i hink it would have died for good

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.