Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 7 replies

custom ROMs on the G2?

phyxlor

Oct 13, 2010, 11:23 AM
i havnt goten the new G2 yet or much experience with it, but had a customer complain that theyve locked the software on the phone not allowing any custom ROMs added to the phone...i know the phone is new, and it took a while before much was available for the G1...is this phone really locked down? can anyone confirm/elaborate?
justfinethanku

Oct 13, 2010, 11:31 AM
yeah, it's locked down.

You'd probably get better details in the Android forum though.
phyxlor

Oct 13, 2010, 11:36 AM
any news of running android side by side in the new HD7?
wdfichtel

Oct 13, 2010, 11:47 AM
I wouldn't expect to see any information on that until we get some HD7s in the wild, some time in November/December.
phyxlor

Oct 13, 2010, 1:14 PM
ah, true... sorry a little excited, guess i jumped the gun.
wdfichtel

Oct 13, 2010, 11:44 AM
Short version - Yes. For now.

Long version - the device can be rooted, but when powercycled it will restore the factory OS and unroot as a security precaution. Any changes are not permanently saved. Again, I say this is just for now. Someone will find a way around it.
Black_Beard

Oct 13, 2010, 12:33 PM
Appearently cyanogenmod found a way around it and got their rom on it but it was a very nasty process.
Menno

Oct 14, 2010, 6:15 PM
Basically it has the same kind of security as the HTC Evo did, but there is a bug in the code that causes it to rewrite improperly.

The phone will be hacked, it's just a matter of time. It's not a signed bootloader like the Motorola phones where they don't allow custom kernals.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.