Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 11 replies

Fraud stories

deepc

Jun 24, 2010, 9:29 AM
So, I often get callers that I am almost 10% percent sure have stolen someone else's identification.

One of my first calls this morning was from a very nice elderly gentleman who was very confused because our company had billed him for about $400 and I knew right away what was happening.

I just wish there was a way to track down some of the scumbags who make their living stealing other peoples information and ruining their lives.

Anyone else deal with this on a constant basis?
kittie

Jun 24, 2010, 10:04 AM
Every now and then, I encounter fraud customers calling to sales to set up new service or add a line on an existing account.

One of the best fraud story that I can probably share is when this guy called in, claiming to be the account holder, was able to verify the security question on the account and he was raising hell about why his service has been interrupted. Not only was he mad, he was also very abusive, using vulgar language and has called me b!tch more than twice ๐Ÿคฃ. When I checked the account, the status is highlighted in red: "Account Suspension: Reason Possible Identity Theft, under inverstigation by Fraud Management".

Ahh, that figures. Since he wouldn't stop b!tching, I called up Fraud Dept. and conferenced the ...
(continues)
deepc

Jun 24, 2010, 10:07 AM
Awesome..I just end up transfering them to Spanish Sales when they get too crude. It's always the people who are trying to scam that put the temper tantrum fit on.
80dollarcarcharger

Jun 24, 2010, 12:31 PM
NOTHING gets past the fraud department. All the whines and cries have no effect on them
DartStuticus

Jun 24, 2010, 12:42 PM
Fraudsters are fun in sales. You get to sit back, play dumb and put 9 lines on an individual account that has been open for 7 years with only 1 line on it that entire time, add on new lines of service with the most expensive phone you have on the most expensive individual plan you have, ship it to a different address and then wait on the line while the customer asks you what the current address is and wants you to repeat it 4 -5 times when, if it was their address, they should already know it.

Yay for the TSR Fraud Detected check box. You get credit for the adds, but they never get sent out because your the "Dumb telesales agent who doesn't know any better"
kittie

Jun 24, 2010, 12:59 PM
Alright, alright, I'm guilty on this one ๐Ÿคฃ

Had someone called in, was able to verify the PIN on his account. Asked me how many lines he's approved to have, I said 10, asked me how many lines he has now, I said 2. He said he'll be adding 7 lines to max out his approval, wanted the HTC Touch Pro 2 under the Simply Everything Plan. He may sound serious and calm but of course, I had a feeling that it's fraudulent. I placed him on hold, asked my sup if I should process it or not, and of course, she said go ahead ๐Ÿคฃ, just conference the customer to Order Verification once the order is completed. So I did. Then, during the conference with Order Verification, he couldn't verify the last four of his social and disconnected the call.

(continues)
deepc

Jun 24, 2010, 2:08 PM
I didn't quite follow your story because of the poor spelling and sentence structure.

Could you repeat that again in correct English?
alex24

Jun 24, 2010, 2:20 PM
๐Ÿคจ

Are you referring to my post?

Sorry I summarized the whole thing! Sorry if my English is not as good as yours ๐Ÿ™„ ! Sorry but I don't like repeating myself, man.
kittie

Jun 24, 2010, 2:21 PM
๐Ÿคจ

Are you referring to my post?

Sorry I summarized the whole thing! Sorry if my English is not as good as yours ๐Ÿ™„ ! Sorry but I don't like repeating myself, man.

*edit: I didn't know I was logged in on my old username! ๐Ÿคฃ Sorry about that as well! ๐Ÿ™„
dnbstyle29

Jun 24, 2010, 5:08 PM
That sounds like a fraudulent post to me. ๐Ÿ‘€

๐Ÿคฃ
kittie

Jun 24, 2010, 5:26 PM
Yeah username theft! ๐Ÿคฃ
moeincb

Jun 24, 2010, 2:25 PM
yes I had a guy call in from a store trying to setup a new account, he was using a slightly different name and a different ss# from a previous acct with an outstanding balance on it. Same billing address. I made him pay off the account. Then he didnt have the money for the deposit on the new acct!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.