Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 25 replies

BB Data plan

Downtime24

Apr 20, 2010, 2:26 PM
M: Thank you for calling BEUC, My name is "Downtime24" are u calling in ref to 000-000-0000

C: Yes

M: and your name please

C: xxxx

M: and how may i assist you

C: I want my blackberry data plan removed and i want to be credited for the last 4 monthes.

M: i would be glad to assist you with that sir, but why should be credit your account for the past 4 months if you recv your bill everymonth?

C: Well i changed my phone I thought yall removed it when it was changed

M: sir, you changed you phone in 10/2009, and you reused your bb on 12/2009, automatically adding it back.

C: Ok so?I get my bill and i just pay it. i want to be credited for that up till today, I have been a loyal customer for years and i might consider dis...
(continues)
WernerCD

Apr 21, 2010, 11:23 AM
Honestly... I understand frustration with stupid people.

The number of people that just don't get "Smart-Phone *MUST* have $30 data" is over-whelming.

I had a return because some foreign based people didn't understand that the $30 had to be on the BB - They kept insisting that the required data be moved to ANOTHER phone on the same account. Data fee? Fine. Has to be *ON* the BB? Just didn't register for them.

The chicken sandwich analogy doesn't really make sense. Ordering a chicken and getting a hamburger? Very *VERY* bad analogy.

It would make more sense if you were selling a chicken sandwich and added bacon + charged for it without asking. Or sold a baked potato and added the fixins + charge without asking.

Even then it sti...
(continues)
bobrings

Apr 21, 2010, 12:04 PM
the point was if he got the hamburger and ate it then argued about having to pay for it and wanted his meal for free..he saw he got the wrong thing on his bill..he should have called in then.
WernerCD

Apr 21, 2010, 12:19 PM
But it's a bad analogy... if he ordered a chicken sandwich, he'd NOTICE a burger.

Show me someone who doesn't notice the wrong food. I don't notice stuff and I'd notice the wrong sandwich.

Now... I can show that people will often miss the extra charge for bacon that they didn't order. Or the extra charge for "loaded" baked potato.

He has phone service. He's not getting a bait-and-switch. He's getting EXTRA service on top of the BASIC service that he doesn't want.

The analogy was HORRIBLE. Its hard to make the connection, therefore it's a very bad analogy.

He didn't understand BB = $30 data... auto-magically, wanted or not. That analogy did NOTHING to teach or convince.
bobrings

Apr 21, 2010, 1:21 PM
but if he noticed the burger, ate it, then complained he got the wrong meal and wanted the chicken for free, it would be up to him to say something when he got the burger, same with the data plan, he saw it on his bill from day one said nothing, then so many months later called back in to complain and wanted a credit. nope no credit, no free lunch..i know what your saying..but i get the analogy also. he was just mad that he could not get his way.
WernerCD

Apr 21, 2010, 1:32 PM
But from the OPs (original poster) own mouth... He paid his bill without realizing it. Maybe he just sent the check. Maybe he had automatic payment setup. Maybe his wife took care of paying it and he just noticed it. blah blah.

I had an AT&T customer that was overcharged ... for 6 months. By your reasoning, that customer paid his bill, so he had no recourse. AT&T was able to undo those wrongful charges...

Blackberry data charges AREN'T wrongful, *BUT* simply paying the bill doesn't auto-magically negate questioning the charges.

Also from the OP: the analogy only made the matter worse. Irritated customer became pissed off customer. (Already irritated further no doubt by the "you want a cookie?" comment)

There was no good reason f...
(continues)
bobrings

Apr 21, 2010, 5:04 PM
its up to the customer to look at his bill and see if there are any problems with it..so with your way of thinking if someone lets say for one year is paying there bill and a year later sees that theres a problem with there bill, we should credit back the whole year?
WernerCD

Apr 21, 2010, 6:54 PM
There are reasons to credit. There are reasons to not credit. There are even reasons for GASP partial credit.

Getting and paying a bill doesn't auto-magically give consumer undrstanding. Phone bill can be complicated. Sometimes people just don't understand parts.

And it's okay not to be a prick when they don't understand.

Original customer in this thread didn't understand. I don't think he deserved a refund in this case... Nor did he deserve a prick of a cust service rep giving bad analogies and
asking the customer if he wanted a cookie.

A simple restatement that smartphone = $30. Simple.
This_Troper

Apr 21, 2010, 7:42 PM
Granted, I don't work for that company. But, shouldn't the expectation have been set for the $30.00 data plan when he did swap back?

PROBABLY, if given that call, I would have given partial credit. Expectation wasn't given about a change in their features, however it IS the customer's responsibility to check their bill. That's kinda why we give them.
WernerCD

Apr 21, 2010, 8:27 PM
Yeah... upon reactivation of the BB it should have been made crystal clear that "Blackberry = $30/month".

Crystal clear.

Without knowing the customer OR the reps, it's hard to know where exactly the disconnect lays.

There are dishonest reps. There are lazy reps. There are rude reps (See original post).

There are truly stupid and rude customers as well.

Then there are normal customers and reps that just have misunderstandings.

I had a customer return a bluetooth because she misunderstood the Noise Cancellation. She thought that it clarified the person she was talking too. First time I've had someone say that. It amazes me how easy it is to be misunderstood.

It took me 45 minutes to explain data to another customer. They k...
(continues)
bobrings

Apr 22, 2010, 12:14 PM
once again, up to the customer to check there bill, i had a lady call in and want a two year credit for her corp. discount simply becuase she did not check her bill...nope no credit...up to you to look over your bill to see if it is being applyed...so sad to bad, dont like go with another carrier and when you dont check that bill call complain, leave them go with someone else...and around and around we go. Simple fact is it is up to you to check your bill, if there is somethig wrong call the first day not two months or two years later.
WernerCD

Apr 22, 2010, 1:06 PM
I'm not saying automatically give refunds for every... single... small... claim.

But I'm also not going to sit here and agree to a "Your an idiot, no refund for you" mentality.

There's a lot of small writing, and a lot that people misunderstand.

To say that there is *NO* case what-so-ever that deserves a refund is short sighted.

Some cases, yeah. No refund. Definitely. OP Cust? No refund. Policy states BB = $30. Your mentioned case? Sure. 15% for 2 years? Yeah, but no.

I had a case where the rep messed up and set someone up for 2 full bills (instead of a family plan). She knew her bill was high but thought it was because of overages. Guess what? AT&T refunded her the difference after 4 months of it being wrong.

Smart,nice l...
(continues)
ShoopDaWoop

Apr 22, 2010, 1:59 PM
Werner, I feel you on this. I can't count how many times someone has called in because of an error on their bill, or a charge that was never explained that would occur, and we waive the fee's for them.Especially when it's something as simple as a mis-understanding. I usually tell them that I will waive the fee, if they take measures to ensure the charges will not happen again, in the case of features. For instance, someone calls in, and gets a casual data charge of $25, because they don't have a data pack. I will say "Cust, I will waive this fee as a one time courtesy, only if you take the proper steps to avoid this in the future, whether it be adding a data package or blocking it all together." This is only for people who have great histor...
(continues)
Downtime24

Apr 22, 2010, 3:09 PM
My analogy = horrible, but it was a response to quick thinking. I'll take that 1

but the fact that we send out bills for people to realize what there paying for. Just to fill in the holes alittle, the convo he had with my sup:
1: he admitted to getting a bill per month and choosing not to read it
2: was not on auto pay
3: at the end of the call, added another data plan
4: After he got his new phone, a month later, he reused his bb, hence readd the data plan, as per stated in the notes

I would have gladly taken care of those fees for him, but he didnt want to understand what he NEEDED to tell him. he didnt even want to switch the imei so we had it properly in the system.

as far as bad customer service, i could have left the anal...
(continues)
This_Troper

Apr 22, 2010, 3:19 PM
Did the notes state he was ADVISED he's getting the data plan again?

Also, the "Do you want a cookie" thing still isn't very professional.
80dollarcarcharger

Apr 22, 2010, 3:23 PM
I hope he didn't really say the cookie thing
Downtime24

Apr 25, 2010, 2:18 PM
no... didnt rly say the cookie thing, it was a "in the head" moment
WernerCD

Apr 25, 2010, 3:22 PM
I just died a little inside... you lied to us all then ☹️
Amarantamin

Apr 25, 2010, 3:33 PM
He embelished his conversation to make himself look cool. Looks like it backfired.
Downtime24

Apr 26, 2010, 6:31 AM
lol i apologize, i couldnt pass off a comment like that. i might as well get fired on the spot for being such a prick if i let it out, sadly the analogy was a true part: as i needed a quick comparison >.>
WernerCD

Apr 22, 2010, 8:59 PM
I can't really call you a bad rep.

I'd consider myself a good customer service person... but there was times where I wanted to throw soda's out windows when I was working fast food (And one time I DID throw a drink out the window lol).

People can be pricks, stubborn and out right maddening.

I don't think this guy should get a refund personally. He just needs to understand that BB = $30. No excuses. No options. Either you have a BB and pay $30 or you don't. It's auto-magically applied.

But I also don't agree with a lot of the other posts here where basically NO REFUNDS UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE!!!

Life isn't black or white... it's lived in gray area's and that's where people need to keep their cool and make decisions that help keep...
(continues)
sinister

Apr 23, 2010, 9:23 AM
i agree there needs to be a certain level of professionalism when you're tellin the customer to piss off but on the same note...you're sent a bill, it's your responsibility as a RESPONSIBLE consumer to view your bill to make sure that you are being charged correctly for everything you're SUPPOSED to be charged for. if you call me & ask for a credit for the past couple of months, sure...np but if you're a dousche that didn't look at his bill & calls in 7 months after you have changed your equipment but as an IRRESPONSIBLE consumer you negelected to call in to update the imei of even notify at&t that you swapped out your equipment & instead decided to save yourself a phone call (even though you call constantly to gripe over something as "vital...
(continues)
Downtime24

Apr 25, 2010, 2:22 PM
applaud for sinister: good at reading people O.o 🤣
bobrings

Apr 26, 2010, 4:50 PM
lol go for it you can have them, i work on an hourly wage...so take my customers plz..this is a job not a carreer, if i lose this one...guess what i get another one..no credtis for ppl who do not take the time, to check there bills.
WernerCD

Apr 26, 2010, 4:53 PM
I agree whole heartedly on that...

On the same token, I work on hourly + commish... so while I get matter no matter, I also get paid *MORE* if I sell.

I graduate with an AA soon and hopefully I'll be out of this job into a career.

God I hope so...
bobrings

Apr 26, 2010, 5:00 PM
i work in a call center, my wife just had some serious surgeory and i had to use all my time to get her going, now becuase my attendence is low i cant take a day off no matter what, they just changed the policy, now im getting dizzy and im sweating and not feeling well, cant go to the doctors without getting fired....so yeah i hope att pulls out of this call center so they can change policy again...i hope one of these days i pass out here, hit my head on the desk so i can sue this fing place.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.