Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 28 replies

$57 bill paid entirely in singles

SeacrestOut

Feb 14, 2010, 4:03 PM
No, I'm not kidding. If I didn't know the uggo worked at Denny's, I would have thought something else was up, but hot damn....57 singles?!?!?

I thought that nothing was more than annoying than the first guy of the day paying with big bills...but I think I have found it. Paying entirely with singles when you have bigger bills in your hand you're counting from.
IrishCarBomb

Feb 14, 2010, 4:15 PM
I hate it when people do that... or they spend 5 minutes digging for exact change when they have a one in their hand... and yes, big bill first customer of the day.

I refuse the big bills if I don't have enough $20's in my drawer. Not going to screw myself for later in the day.
SeacrestOut

Feb 14, 2010, 4:39 PM
The sandwich place next door hates us, because we send anyone trying to pay with a $50 or higher to go get change if its before noon.
pandafairy

Feb 14, 2010, 4:49 PM
😲 When I worked in retail I used to send them to the bank though.
SeacrestOut

Feb 14, 2010, 4:52 PM
We do that if we know the banks are open, but there aren't any wicked close by, and if we're hard up for a sale, we don't want them to go too far away and just not come back.
pandafairy

Feb 14, 2010, 5:21 PM
That's true. I guess at that point I would just grin and bear it.
Coil

Feb 14, 2010, 4:43 PM
Coins. When they pay in coins. Imagine the sheer agony that you willingly choose to succumb to on a daily basis.
SeacrestOut

Feb 14, 2010, 4:51 PM
I don't mind coins, but if someone tried to pay their $40 phone bill in them I'd probably just start throwing them randomly around my store hoping to break something.
pandafairy

Feb 14, 2010, 5:22 PM
$40 in quarters aren't too bad if they are roled up.
PhonemanJ

Feb 15, 2010, 12:23 PM
Years ago when I worked for the Shack, I had a guy want to pay for a $600 stereo in change. He put a gallon jar of quarters on the counter and expeted me to take it. I told him that if he would roll them, I would, but not that way. He left not happy.
pandafairy

Feb 15, 2010, 12:49 PM
🤣 That's too funny! Priceless!
edzero

Feb 17, 2010, 3:22 PM
Change is worse than singles, i think. Unless you think those singles may have been in someones @ss crack. Then again, im sure most singles we handle have been someplace gross at some point. But change for a $600 stereo? no way. Thats what banks are for.
Coil

Feb 16, 2010, 12:28 PM
They're not rolled up. They're in a big ziplock bag full of various coin currencies.
pandafairy

Feb 14, 2010, 4:49 PM
Dude I've been given a lot more singles than that in my time.
SeacrestOut

Feb 14, 2010, 4:54 PM
I have too, but it was just funny...big fistfull of cash...several twenties, a couple tens, and a million singles. Gimme at least SOMETHING not in singles, please!
pandafairy

Feb 14, 2010, 5:33 PM
Well at least you have change for later. 🤣
BIG_ERN23

Feb 15, 2010, 5:20 PM
u can be sued tho! its illegal to refuse legal tender, a gas station was sued once for this reason
wizardofCroz

Feb 15, 2010, 5:35 PM
I work for the 5th largest company in the world. I'm sure my lawyers will take care of someone who cannot find a coinStar. 😛
easystreet

Feb 15, 2010, 6:22 PM
they would simply settle. if you refuse to accept legal US tender you are breaking the law.
IrishCarBomb

Feb 15, 2010, 6:52 PM
No you are not... other wise how could places refuse $50's and $100's? Yeah, that is just a small hole in your ill informed logic there.

As well, many places (utility companies for example) do not accept cash at all! Hell, in my city the water department only takes checks or plastic, and they are run by the city...

But since reason isn't your strong point, here is a direct quote from the U.S. Treasury:

Q: I thought that United States currency was legal tender for all debts. Some businesses or governmental agencies say that they will only accept checks, money orders or credit cards as payment, and others will only accept currency notes in denominations of $20 or smaller. Isn't this illegal?

A: The pertinent portion of law that...
(continues)
easystreet

Feb 15, 2010, 7:18 PM
I have watched the police force a gas station to take a mans 100 dollar bill
IrishCarBomb

Feb 15, 2010, 7:42 PM
The police are not always correct. Now, I could see them telling them to take it so the man can pay for the gas he already pumped sort of thing, but they can't force you to take money, even in the case I provided of trying to pay for gas already pumped.

Clearly, as my first post shows, the US Treasury says businesses are not legally required to take the money and can refuse if they want to.
easystreet

Feb 15, 2010, 7:49 PM
I was not aware of that. after seeing the incident at the gas station I just assumed that it was true you cannot refuse US tender.
SugaR-E

Feb 15, 2010, 11:10 PM
Could've been worse. Could have paid with all pennies if it was possible. 👀
Azeron

Feb 16, 2010, 6:15 PM
I had a customer who was a stripper, she always paid her bill in singles. The antibacterial soap was always welcome after wards.
Chromemember

Feb 16, 2010, 6:37 PM
Just consider yourself lucky. What if it was a stripper paying you with that many singles...
SeacrestOut

Feb 17, 2010, 2:52 PM
That wouldn't bother me. I knew this customer wasn't one because she works a couple stores down as a waitress at Denny's.
iljaaf21

Feb 23, 2010, 11:32 AM
We had a girl pay for a $300 phone in 4 50's and the rest singles. That was a bitch to count the deposit at closing!
Otowncell

Feb 23, 2010, 2:13 PM
I love paying in pennies and nickels. The look on the cashiers face is priceless and it's what I live for! 😈

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.