Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 24 replies

i love these customers

stinson5043

Dec 18, 2009, 2:30 PM
i just had a guy come into the store and wanted to look at some phones. so i put my salesmen hat on and started to help him when he told me that he was just here to "talk about phones then he was going to go home and order them online".

well the salesmen hat came off and the i don't know anything about phones went right on and lets just say i lost all knowledge about cell phones at that point.

he aslo got upset when someone else came into the store and was acually going to buy somethign from me and i helped them and left him to just look at the phones.

i do give him credit for being upfront about buying them online but why would you waste my time and money for that matter.
simmeon

Dec 18, 2009, 2:35 PM
A real salesman would have sold him on buying a phone right then and there
stinson5043

Dec 18, 2009, 2:37 PM
trust me i told him all the benefits of buying in the store but it was not going to happen. even the other guy that works here tried to help out and the guys was insistant on buying online.
VZW Sales Mgr

Dec 28, 2009, 8:32 PM
If I were your mgr u and the other rep would both be in the unemployment line! I dont understand how u can not show the cust. the benefit of buying in person ๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿ˜•
ATTRetailerRep

Dec 30, 2009, 6:01 PM
Just curious, what ARE the benefits to buying in the store vs. buying online?
wizardofCroz

Jan 1, 2010, 11:11 AM
๐Ÿคจ $$$ ???
Cellinovation

Dec 31, 2009, 11:10 AM
Gee really.. When the websites run offers that you simply can't come close to in the store. Every benefit in the world is not work a $50 - $100 difference in the cost of a phone to most customers. Give em a break.
ATTRetailerRep

Jan 1, 2010, 10:27 AM
I didn't expect a response....
wizardofCroz

Dec 18, 2009, 2:38 PM
๐Ÿ™„ I knew someone was going to say that.
PhonemanJ

Dec 18, 2009, 3:25 PM
If I see that ther is absolutely no way that I can make the sale, I will stay and help the customer, but explain to him that if anyone else comes in, I will have to go help them. That way, if anyone else walks in the door, it gives you the excuse to leave him to fend for himself.
wizardofCroz

Dec 18, 2009, 3:44 PM
Yeah exactly, I wouldn't buy a car without test driving it. I don't buy televisions without seeing the display first. But if I absolutely have to purchase something online, I want to at least see what the product looks like.
That doesn't mean we're museum tour guides and have to answer every question someone asks if they make it clear that they aren't buying. Especially if paying customers are waiting. If they want to know the specs on the phone, they should have printed them out when they found them online.
Please don't respond with "customer service" this or that, I'm here to serve MY customers, not www.you're-a-cheap-a$$.com customers.
famoussasjohn

Dec 20, 2009, 10:47 AM
I personally would go to a store to test out the phone and see if I like it before buying online, but I wouldn't bother a rep to answer questions, this is why they invented the internet, TO DO YOUR OWN DAMN RESEARCH!
wizardofCroz

Dec 20, 2009, 10:51 AM
Amen
famoussasjohn

Dec 20, 2009, 12:40 PM
If only we could answer and tell them, "well google.com would have all of your answers, and when you are ready, you can just order online then as well."
How hard is it to google "*product name* specs and reviews" ? Self help! try it sometime people.
SprintCC

Dec 21, 2009, 5:14 PM
I call BS. You aren't there to service YOUR customer's, you are there to service your company's customers. So, if you're selling Big Red, you're there for their customers. It sucks- but it is a part of the job.

We deal with it too. We get paid per call and commission. It isn't unusual to spend half an hour on a call with someone answering questions so they can go to the store and buy a phone. Just the nature of the business.
meeshxsmith

Dec 20, 2009, 2:25 PM
I agree. I think you are getting smarter Simmeon.
NEPats726420

Dec 29, 2009, 3:04 PM
dont let him fool you!!
love2transfercustomers

Dec 22, 2009, 2:14 PM
that a lot of customers are ignorant of the fact that sales reps get paid on commision, and that they are wasting their time when they do not buy. They probably figure you are paid good to help them and answer their questions.
jvp3

Dec 28, 2009, 11:06 PM
I always try not to waste a store rep's time and energy on me unless I really do have a question about something, even just a general "not necessarily buying today but trying to find out facts now for when I will buy" question. For the most part, I can research what I need to research on my own; plus, it's been my experience that too many store reps (in a variety of industries) don't know much beyond whatever basics they're trained on (hello, Best Buy store reps!), so asking questions of them is kind of a waste of time anyway.

Plus, as a call center rep, I already know that there are a ton of store reps who, even when they ARE getting paid a commission, either neglect to disclose important info to customers, give incorrect info, or just f...
(continues)
captainplooky

Dec 29, 2009, 2:52 PM
love2transfercustomers said:
that a lot of customers are ignorant of the fact that sales reps get paid on commision, and that they are wasting their time when they do not buy. They probably figure you are paid good to help them and answer their questions.

I think a lot of reps are ignorant of what their job description actually entails.

Or perhaps it's just plain sloth and indifference.
Sigma1570

Dec 29, 2009, 4:21 PM
A lot of consumers follow consumer advocacy recomendations on getting your information in store and buying online for cheaper price.

I always ask a customer why they want to buy online instead of in the store. They usually say because the price is better. I always try to find out what price they have seen and do my best to match it. And if the price really is that much better and I can't match it I just recomend that they protect themselves and make sure there are no hidden charges/secondary contracts.

You never know if a customer just thinks they will have a better experience online and if you can convince them otherwise then you are doing your job right. But to ignore them then you are re-enforcing that online is a better place to bu...
(continues)
Cellinovation

Dec 31, 2009, 11:20 AM
Consumer advocacy recomendations for the wireless industry are a joke. They don't take a customers full experience into account, really they just play into the price is everything mentality. How many people have you heard of not getting any information from the website selling the phone, and they are left with a misconception of what they were getting into. That is not only damaging to the image of the company, but damaging to the customer as well. NOTHING beats dealing with a good sales rep that knows their product, puts the customer first, and has a wealth of information and experience. They will make sure you know everything you are getting into, help you make a good choice in a phone that will meet your needs, and last the contract....
(continues)
Sigma1570

Jan 4, 2010, 7:07 PM
Well said.
iljaaf21

Feb 22, 2010, 5:47 PM
You realize that the prices online ARE cheaper most of the time. The reason they still come in is because they want an EXPERT opinion! Which, in your case, even the people who do buy from you aren't getting apparently!
wizardofCroz

Feb 22, 2010, 5:57 PM
And when they want their phonebook transferred, this expert will tell them it's a 15.00 transfer fee.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.