Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 64 replies

18.00 handset upgrade fee!

quitamancha22

Dec 11, 2009, 6:27 PM
i have looked all over my agent aids and cannot find an explanation for the fee when a customer asks...help?
MrGoofball

Dec 11, 2009, 6:36 PM
How hard is it to say "Because att, tmobile, sprint, verizon, dogcrap wireless, etc says you have to pay this fee inorder to upgrade. If you do not want to pay the fee there is the door can you please leave so I can help someone not wasting my time"? Maybe try practicing a couple times before you use it so you make sure you got it right?
smiliey

Dec 12, 2009, 2:40 PM
x1
qualityrocker

Dec 14, 2009, 10:21 AM
It says in MyCSP that part of the reason is to help cover the cost of activating that new device. It is half of the activation fee. It also says that it helps to make it possible for AT&T to give such great prices on equipment-the 2yr commit price. Please! Do not tell a customer to leave your store! That is when they call in to CARE and then we have to submit an Agent Feedback Form...
MrGoofball

Dec 14, 2009, 11:05 AM
Ok Mr Corporate Butt Kiss. . . They not teach you "Sarcasm" in training?
qualityrocker

Dec 15, 2009, 8:04 AM
If you think that I am a corporate butt kiss you obviously don't know me very well. I am the farthest thing from a butt kisser! However, when it comes to doing my job and making my money I am VERY good at it! I do know my stuff. For example, if all of us on The AT&T team-including store reps and Customer Care, would work together-Or as our Customer Rules state;"Make it Seamless", all our jobs would be much easier...I don't know about you but I like easy money!
MrGoofball

Dec 15, 2009, 10:08 AM
I don't know to me it sounds like you got a second job being the guy in a dark ally in a trenchcoat going "Psssssssssssssst! Wanna buy a watch?"
qualityrocker

Dec 15, 2009, 11:01 AM
how'd you know!?! ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
xxbriibriixx

Feb 24, 2010, 1:58 PM
what i always tell the customer is that a upgrade fee is paid by other att customers to help make their device that they have just bought as cheap as it was. and by this customer paying their upgrade fee it will discount the next customers device. if they argue and say that they dont want to pay to discount another persons device. if he does not want to follow att's policy by paying a upgrade fee then he is more than welcome to buy a phone at full price to have no upgrade fee or two year contract, why should other cst pay their upgrade fees for him to get a discounted device but him not do the same. if he is lucky he will have a F.A.N that waives it for him.
phatbasstard

Feb 25, 2010, 6:26 PM
I was once told in training to reply with.

"When you first signed up you payed a $36 activation fee and that was to cover the cost of your credit check and the fees the carrier pays for the phone number (at this point i usually have to explain that phone numbers cost money to outside sources to acquire and maintain) when you are upgrading there is no credit check because you are already a customer so that why its only half $18"

Most customers are ok after this explanation they still my not love it but they deal
VZW Sales Mgr

Dec 28, 2009, 8:28 PM
Verizon does not charge this fee! So you should actually say....
MrGoofball said:
How hard is it to say "Because att, tmobile, sprint, NOT verizon, dogcrap wireless, etc says you have to pay this fee inorder to upgrade. If you do not want to pay the fee there is the door can you please leave so I can help someone not wasting my time"? Maybe try practicing a couple times before you use it so you make sure you got it right?
iljaaf21

Feb 22, 2010, 4:12 PM
I just tell them that it is only half the Activation fee, and that it's to process the contract and update the towers.
love2transfercustomers

Dec 11, 2009, 6:40 PM
tell them it is an activation fee for putting a new phone on the network, and that fee is usually $36, but because they are special, it is half the price. ๐Ÿ™‚
quitamancha22

Dec 11, 2009, 6:43 PM
lol i think ill try that... but 18.00, really? these wireless companies dont need to do that...
simmeon

Dec 11, 2009, 7:22 PM
When I first started in wireless I had the exact same concern. Obviously you have the answer of "Everyone else does it" but I just felt that sounded quite childish and ignorant. I asked and asked around my work and ended up getting in trouble for feeling that I did not think that was an appropriate answer. The true answer is "Everyone else does it" though. So i toyed with different combos of its a processing fee/whatever else I could come up with that sounded semi intelligent
SloppyC

Dec 11, 2009, 8:08 PM
I hate that fee... "It's a fee charged for inventory and processing services of your upgrade. This fee is part of why we can offer the phone at a reduced price at our stores/over the phone." That usually flies for me.
Webb

Dec 12, 2009, 9:40 AM
"It's because we wanted $18, but we didn't have the balls to raise the price of the phone by $18."

There's probably something wrong with saying that, but it's accurate.
IBoss1977

Dec 12, 2009, 10:30 AM
Just WAVE EM....
ads1525

Dec 12, 2009, 12:30 PM
IBoss1977 said:
Just WAVE EM....

how much commission do you get for an upgrade fee boss?
wizardofCroz

Dec 12, 2009, 2:33 PM
$8,000. No actually everytime IBoss does an upgrade they send him a new car.
smiliey

Dec 12, 2009, 2:42 PM
haha you saw the $700 dollar comission post too
wizardofCroz

Dec 12, 2009, 2:54 PM
๐Ÿ™„
edzero

Dec 13, 2009, 1:14 PM
I know the fee sucks, but just wave em? First of all, just waving at a fee doesnt do anything. The fee might wave back at you, but thats it. Now if you mean waive the fee, thats a different story. Theres no reason why it should be waived. Its a fee thats in place for a reason. Whether I agree with it or not I tell them its there. I'de rather not deal with the confused/angry customer who comes in later asking what these $18 fees are all about.
qualityrocker

Dec 14, 2009, 10:24 AM
But if you tell them that it will get waived, PLEASE!!! Put it in the notes that you told them!
smiliey

Dec 12, 2009, 2:41 PM
that sounds legit, ima try it
smiliey

Dec 12, 2009, 2:46 PM
i explain that the there will be an activation fee on their next bill and then i pick from these two:

1. Since you have been a customer for so long...
2. Since you have X amount of lines...

you get it half off. So instead of the normal 36, you only have to pay 18.

orrr if they are buying two i explain that, "since you are getting two phones today I will be able to 'take care' of one of your activation fees, so it will only be 36 for both of them instead of 72"
springsthathing

Dec 15, 2009, 12:58 PM
Still a lie... Why not just be honest? Is it because your in the cell phone industry? I hate that everyone thinks they have to 'lie to kick it.'
smiliey

Dec 16, 2009, 5:38 PM
What does it matter if that portion of the conversation was completely truthful or not? Whats ultimately important is what's actually affecting them which is the bottom line. Bottom line they have to pay $18 for an uprade fee, how they justify it in their mind does not matter, it is my job as a salesman to help them justify the bottom line.
yeahright

Feb 22, 2010, 10:49 PM
it is not really a lie...well maybe how he positioned it was, but a new customer would pay a $36 activation fee and the upgrade is only $18. Those are the facts so an upgrading customer is getting half off.

that is how I always explained it. Back when I first selling phones we had new activation prices and seperate upgrade prices... some stores like walmart still do that but it was entirely to confusing and messed with people more so they made them same price and introduced upgrade fees. Not perfect but better then the old system.

Just make sure you explain it upfront! I hate it when I some tells me $50 bucks and then I find out I owe them $68 when we get to the counter!
dualitycomplex

Dec 12, 2009, 1:13 PM
no upgrade fees at big red...glad i dont have to explain that one to the customer.
deetron

Dec 12, 2009, 2:52 PM
there is at my big red agent store 15.00 to be exact
mrpmpfan

Dec 12, 2009, 3:30 PM
Its the activation fee that they were originally charged when they started their first phone. Its discount 50% on their second phone for staying with us for a 2 yrs.
famoussasjohn

Dec 13, 2009, 1:41 PM
mrpmpfan said:
Its the activation fee that they were originally charged when they started their first phone. Its discount 50% on their second phone for staying with us for a 2 yrs.

then they will expect it to be 50% off from their previous upgrade fee.
mrpmpfan

Dec 14, 2009, 7:09 AM
Not unless they are dumb. Its 50% off the original activation fee every 2 yrs.
GraGG

Dec 12, 2009, 3:36 PM
becuase, now are you gonna buy or not? ๐Ÿคจ
meeshxsmith

Dec 13, 2009, 2:06 PM
I would tell them that there was a fee of $36 for new activation of a phone. But since they have been a valuable cx for so long I'm giving it to them for only $18. Have to find the positive spin on things.
quitamancha22

Dec 14, 2009, 11:15 AM
if the fee was really necessary, then why can they waive them as easy as 123... i work for care, not sales... but i get a lot of customers who call in claiming they were never told about the upgrade fee, and want it removed... and all i tell them is to refer back to the POP
longsleeves

Dec 14, 2009, 12:07 PM
Why do I have to pay an $18 fee?

The $18 fee is used to cover the operational costs of upgrading your phone.

I don't want to pay the fee.

I hear your concerns, but know you are getting a great deal on [Insert Device Model]. Normally, that phone is [Insert No-Discount Price], and we're offering it to you for [Discount Price + $18.00 Upgrade Fee].
meeshxsmith

Dec 14, 2009, 1:10 PM
That sounds pretty good. Just make sure you don't tell the customer Insert no-discount price. ๐Ÿ˜‰
quitamancha22

Dec 14, 2009, 1:16 PM
cust- "and what exactly are those opperational costs?"
llama

Dec 14, 2009, 1:39 PM
We charge a $10 upgrade fee. I explain my services to you have some value. For you to walk out the door with a proper working device plus the correct feature package the 1st time should be worth at least double that amount.

If that doesn't satisfy them, I explain I am not a volunteer for this company, and my time to serve them is valuable, as is theirs.
quitamancha22

Dec 14, 2009, 1:44 PM
is not that your job in the fist place, to make sure the customer gets a working device and the right plan?
llama

Dec 14, 2009, 6:17 PM
Well, kinda yes, kinda no. I don't get paid to just shoot the breeze with folks so they can go online...
quitamancha22

Dec 14, 2009, 6:38 PM
agree
Sigma1570

Dec 14, 2009, 5:27 PM
What is the $18 fee for?

Simple. Its a revenue generating fee. It doesn't "cover the cost of paperwork or upgrading to the new phone" It is a fee that helps buffer at&t's bottom line. Simple as that.

Just tell your customers its a standard one time fee that you don't have control over. If they are interested in disputing it they are more than welcome to call customer care and exercise their rights.
wizardofCroz

Dec 14, 2009, 5:54 PM
๐Ÿ˜ข but customer care reps don't want us to tell customers to call them.
SprintCC

Dec 14, 2009, 6:59 PM
True, because they'll tell us that you said to call and we would credit it. Then we have to tell them to go back to the point of purchased to have the fee waived.
qualityrocker

Dec 15, 2009, 8:35 AM
NO! DO NOT HAVE THEM CALL CC! TAKE OWNERSHIP!
Coil

Dec 14, 2009, 7:02 PM
I'm not going to teach you how to skirt around it as that comes with experience. The important thng is why they do it... I will tell you why.

These are giant multibillion dollar corporate conglomerates that like to squeeze every last penny out of the consumer even though it costs them very little to provide the service compared to consumer fees. The activation fee could be used to subsidize for the indirects or again its simply a brutal anal rapage of hard working americans. I mean really...36,26, oor 18 PER PHONE? IF a customer is setting up 4 lines does the service provider really need to talk on over 60 dollars for activation or over 100? If the real reason was TRULY to cover service charges in terms of data/network/computers/people pr...
(continues)
quitamancha22

Dec 15, 2009, 10:19 AM
see, thats my point... if the activation fee was really a processing fee or a maintenance fee, then i would not be over 2-3 dollars, but 18.00? its absurd. These large corporations are just looking for any mean to gain.
Sigma1570

Dec 15, 2009, 7:24 PM
Yup, they have a legal obligation to their share holders to be profitable..I would imagine that as competition increases these types of fees might go away. Or at least rates might go down and they will keep charging fees.
Sigma1570

Dec 15, 2009, 7:22 PM
I don't know if there will be either. The way big box retailers are gutting agents on equipment costs there will be little to no money to be made. Unfortunately when the consumer only cares about price they lose out on knowledgeable sales people and the majority of the time, the best possible fit for their needs. And that sir, is why I am going back to school to get out of the industry(for the second time)
mrpmpfan

Dec 16, 2009, 6:46 AM
Corporate Greed is the reason? Doubtful. Processing fees are in several other products. Ever buy a new car? How much do you have to pay to have it put on paper that its yours? Hundreds! And you have to do it once a year. So if a consumer can say, "Hey I want 6 blackberries, with $30/month internet a piece" then they should be able to afford all costs associated with said decision and not expect that the fees will be waived.
quitamancha22

Dec 16, 2009, 10:14 AM
of course you pay fees in other places... you know what some dealerships charge for a handling fee of the car when you purchase it? what they do is, wash the car and drive it to the front, remove the stickers and stuff, just for that, 500.00 bucks, i have seen it... do you really think some of these "processing" fees need to be so high?
Coil

Dec 21, 2009, 7:12 PM
Um who pays 500$ for a car wash? You must not know how to buy a car properly.
Coil

Dec 21, 2009, 7:10 PM
mrpmpfan said:
Corporate Greed is the reason? Doubtful. Processing fees are in several other products. Ever buy a new car? blah blah blah blah blah lah blah blah money money money blah blah blah money money money

Comparing a car and a cell phone is a red herring logical fallacy. Spending 60,000 or filing for 60,000 in credit is a little different than 3 ETFs with 200 each. But hey keep comparing cars to cell phones I'm sure your customers buy that one lawlz.
mrpmpfan

Dec 22, 2009, 1:00 PM
The skinny is that if the customer willingly signs a contract which clearly states the processing fees on it then they are responsible for it. Its like AT&T giving them an iPhone for $199 and the first time they have a late bill we get nervious about how good of a customer they will be and we ask for the $400 we took off the phone.
wizardofCroz

Dec 22, 2009, 2:22 PM
We use the car comparison because most people understand it.

It's become quite clear to me in the time i've been in wireless that most people just do not understand how the indusrty operates. Such as "You mean i have to pay a deductible even though i pay monthly for insurance?"

In those cases, the car comparison is perfect because most likely the person drives, and hopefully has insurance. "Well sir you pay car insurance right? If anything happens you pay a deductible...RIGHT?!!
Coil

Dec 28, 2009, 9:22 PM
While your reasoning is sound the logic is not.

Let's examine a real world situation in which a person will have the option to use their phone insurance. Their retail phone of 130-200 USD got dumped in the toilet. Ok... deductable for a possibly REFURIBISHED model that they can get on ebay for 50 would be what? 50? Ok... I'd rather risk it and not get insurance and throw away money every month. Now if we are talking a 500 USD or up pda sure I can see how insurance would make sense, even with a higher deductable. Sure, why not. Or maybe they want to gamble on it and just pay the 500 for a new phone... ok no big deal.

Let's compare a new car you just bought a year ago for 20,000$$$. It just fell off into the ocean. Water damage! O noz! ...
(continues)
kris.the.pope

Dec 17, 2009, 6:05 PM
I tell customers that it's a discounted activation fee. usually my verbatim is something like:
"it's actually a discounted activation fee, if you'll recall you paid $26 to start up that phone line, so instead of paying the full activation fee, we only charge you $18"
this typically calms them down, because it creates the illusion that we're saving them money
jvp3

Dec 28, 2009, 10:51 PM
It's a way you can upgrade to a new phone without breaking an existing contract. You pay the upgrade fee, that closes out the existing contract with no penalties or negative marks on your credit, and then you get the new phone as a low- or no-cost early upgrade, and, because you're getting the phone at less than the full retail price, a new contract is created.
Sigma1570

Dec 29, 2009, 4:37 PM
Wow....thats a creative story. ๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ Then why do they still charge an upgrade fee if your already out of contract??

You better think of a better line than that.
jvp3

Dec 29, 2009, 8:48 PM
Sigma1570 said:Then why do they still charge an upgrade fee if your already out of contract??

I can't answer for the ones that do that (I would imagine that for them it's just sheer greed), but not all carriers do that. For the ones that don't charge an upgrade fee if you're out of contract, the upgrade fee CAN be considered a low-cost ETF of sorts.

Every carrier is different, so the explanation of the fees will no doubt vary as well.
captainplooky

Dec 29, 2009, 2:56 PM
Activation fees are akin to the "human teller fees" that banks used to charge when ATM's were first introduced. Of course, once banks got their customers acquainted with ATM's that's when ATM fees were introduced of course.

Activation fees are nothing more than a fee for the sole purpose of increasing the bottom line.

https://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff= ... »

The answer changes depending on who and when you ask.
Sigma1570

Dec 29, 2009, 4:30 PM
Thats exactly what I said. Its a revenue generator and nothing else.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.