Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 47 replies

Desk orientation

ralph_on_me

Mar 17, 2005, 2:23 PM
Any suggestions to keep customers from leaning around and looking at the monitors, other than saying "Hey, back up"? It's getting really annoying having them they to watch everything I do.
sammy2

Mar 17, 2005, 2:27 PM
horse blinders
jkrivjansky

Mar 17, 2005, 3:02 PM
Lean back and stand nose to nose. Make it nice and romantic. The more masculine they are... the more mushy you need to make it.
ralph_on_me

Mar 17, 2005, 3:19 PM
jkrivjansky said:
Lean back and stand nose to nose. Make it nice and romantic. The more masculine they are... the more mushy you need to make it.

Hmm, I could do that and also stop brushing my teeth. The two of those combined could work.
Cigee

Mar 17, 2005, 3:32 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
jkrivjansky

Mar 17, 2005, 4:13 PM
Glad I could help...
poetcsr

Mar 20, 2005, 7:35 PM
didn't you see the smelly customer thread? Give that a try! 🤣
speedywalk

Mar 17, 2005, 4:35 PM
"I used to have my desk over by the window where I could watch the squirrels play. And then they moved me here. If they ask me to move my desk again I don't know what I'll do. I'll have to burn down the building..."

Speedywalk
"It ain't broke, it just needs duct tape!"
Rathrok

Mar 17, 2005, 5:17 PM
Just don't take the red stapler!!!
jkrivjansky

Mar 17, 2005, 6:49 PM
Even more important don't get speedy started.
JamieKay

Mar 17, 2005, 4:41 PM
I just turn the monitor and tell them that it confidential information that is This email, and any attachments, are intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. It is the property of Cingular Wireless and its Affiliates. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email, any attachments thereto, and any use of the information contained is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify me at (insert sender phone number here) and permanently delete the original and any copy thereof.
or you can say that!
themike314

Mar 17, 2005, 5:58 PM
Make a line of tape on the floor. Tell them to stay behind the line.
Copper Emeritus

Mar 17, 2005, 7:42 PM
Just make sure you have a couple of Breakfast Burritos from McDonalds for breakfast, or a half a dozen tacos from Taco Bell for lunch or dinner. Then, when they lean over and get too close, just turn around as if to speak to a co-worker and let a long, slow gurgler go. He will move!
XPDX

Mar 18, 2005, 2:57 AM
novelty fake vomit placed stragically like traffic cones?
texaswireless

Mar 23, 2005, 1:31 AM
No wonder the customer experience scores are so low.

Ever just consider letting them be nosy and not worrying about it? Or are you trying to pull a fast one and add items they didn't request?

It is THEIR information that is on the screen isn't it?
XPDX

Mar 23, 2005, 2:09 AM
displayed on proprietary systems about which most of us have signed ndas.
texaswireless

Mar 23, 2005, 9:11 PM
You haven't signed an NDA that says they can't look at the screen. That response competely baseless.
matty_r

Mar 23, 2005, 2:29 PM
But it isn't always THEIR information. A lot of times it is authorized users who are only allowed to know certain parts of the information. Therefore, we have to make sure customers aren't looking at our screen when we pull up information.
texaswireless

Mar 23, 2005, 9:13 PM
That is perfectly understandable, and it would be very reasonable to let them know, "I'm sorry Mr._____, we have to keep our customer information private so I can't allow you to view the screen".

If that was the intent of the poster then this is a very professional, reasonable response. I do not believe that was their intention.
ralph_on_me

Mar 23, 2005, 2:45 PM
Wow, I need to start paying attention to threads that I post. Everything that I view on their account is proprietary. They have absolutely no authority to "view" anything on their account. I can read off certain things to them, but they do not have permission to even see how our systems work. Even the notes, which directly pertain to the customer, are part of the NDA. They have no right to see them, or even have them read allowed to them without a court subpoena. A rep may choose to summarize information contained in it, but they cannot read it off.

So yeah, it's not "THEIR" information. It if was, I wouldn't care what they were looking at. There are also other programs which run on our machines which they have no right to see eit...
(continues)
texaswireless

Mar 23, 2005, 9:17 PM
They can be read by a customer, they can also be subpoenaed in cased of defamation, billing issues, etc. I would suggest you check your facts about what your NDA covers.

You NDA says you cannot disclose how the system works. Having your screen within customer view and them seeing a bit of what is there does not violate any NDA. As you stated, it is just annoying.
speedywalk

Mar 23, 2005, 10:11 PM
It absolutely does state what we can and can't show! ANY information that would be divulged in a subpoena would be handled in our legal dept. Since we aren't in the legal department, we aren't allowed to disclose ANY of it.

Speedywalk
"It ain't broke, ut just needs duct tape!"
ralph_on_me

Mar 24, 2005, 6:12 PM
100% what speedy said. I know what my NDA is, but apparently you don't, therefore you'd shouldn't be so preachy. They can't see the notes, they can't see the screen, and if they came at me with a subpoena I'd send them to our lawyers.
Grantizzle

Mar 24, 2005, 6:13 PM
ralph_on_me said:
100% what speedy said. I know what my NDA is, but apparently you don't, therefore you'd shouldn't be so preachy. They can't see the notes, they can't see the screen, and if they came at me with a subpoena I'd send them to our lawyers.

if you rearranged the letters in NDA, they'd spell NAD.
ralph_on_me

Mar 24, 2005, 6:23 PM
😁

You rock Grant.

I don't wear an orange jacket when I ski though, I wear a red one with a big yellow smiley face on the back just so I'll REALLY piss of people when I cut over their skis as I zip around them.

Yes, I'm from Texas. 😛
Grantizzle

Mar 24, 2005, 6:27 PM
ralph_on_me said:
😁

You rock Grant.

I don't wear an orange jacket when I ski though, I wear a red one with a big yellow smiley face on the back just so I'll REALLY piss of people when I cut over their skis as I zip around them.

Yes, I'm from Texas. 😛

wow. note to self: never go to texas.

do you really have the red jacket with the smiley face?
ralph_on_me

Mar 24, 2005, 7:08 PM
yes, yes i do. it's a 70's short jacket and i sewed the big yellow smiley face patch on the back myself. ...but by all means, avoid texas.
Grantizzle

Mar 24, 2005, 7:10 PM
i donlt think we can converse on here any more. sorry. 😕
ralph_on_me

Mar 24, 2005, 7:13 PM
It's okay, I'm meant to frighten. If a conversation with me doesn't leave you emotionally scarred then I've done something wrong.
speedywalk

Mar 24, 2005, 7:14 PM
Dude...that sucked the cool right out of the room. 😉

Speedywalk
Grantizzle

Mar 24, 2005, 7:29 PM
yeah. it makes me want to cry a little.
jkrivjansky

Mar 23, 2005, 5:09 PM
I'm starting to think texas here is a scorned former CSR or call center employee. The information in any computer system belongs to teh company who owns the system.

Sorry to defeat another of your "points"
texaswireless

Mar 23, 2005, 9:21 PM
So the customer ESN, IMEI, SIM, SSN, Name, Address, rate plan, SOC codes, etc. are information that should only be known by the company? That is a completely false statement.

As another poster mentioned, if it is not the authorized subscriber I understand, but if it is the actual subscriber, they are seeing nothing that they cannot find on their bill, receipt or in their own wallet. The notes most often must be selected and are not typically in open view.

Nope, never been employeed by a carrier. I have been in this business a long time and have a great deal of experience with carrier billing systems as well as agent systems.
speedywalk

Mar 23, 2005, 9:27 PM
Except for the fact that I know OUR computer systems display company costs on equimpent, credit scores, collections indications and other things that customers don't need to know. It's really no different than you not being able to decipher the codes written on car's windshield on a used car lot. Sensitive information that you aren't allowed to see. The thngs you are concerened with we would be more than happy to write down for you. Why else would we have non-disclosure agreements with our employers if there wasn't sensitive information there?

Speedywalk
texaswireless

Mar 23, 2005, 9:47 PM
I think many of you have a false read on what the NDA covers.
speedywalk

Mar 23, 2005, 10:08 PM
We absolutely do not:

https://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff= ... »

Speedywalk
speedywalk

Mar 23, 2005, 9:55 PM
I most certainly do not. That is why it is handed out to us and spells out EXACTLY what we can and cannot hand out. I am under no circumstances allowed to divulge any information regarding credit, company costs, directives, incentive programs, personal information (with exception of name, last 4 of ssn and acct numbers), I am not allowed to divulge any technical information regartding ATTWS computer systems, wireless routing systems, server addresses and the like.

If you're so confident that you can see ANYTHING on our somputer screens, why is it a terminable offense to print anything from those billing systems from my terminal?

Quit skirting the issue and answer the original question: Why would we have non-disclosure agr...
(continues)
speedywalk

Mar 23, 2005, 5:45 PM
Why is it that customers think they should be priveliged to see the information on the computer screens anyhow? When you go to a bank, you're not permitted to see your information. You can get printouts of certain aspects, but you can't see what they are doing. Another reason customers aren't allowed to see the screens? ID verification. If they can clearly see the same and last 4 of a SSN, then OF COURSE they can verify it.

It is one of the things that is set up for security on BOTH sides customer and carrier. It's NOT so we can "pull a fast one and add items they didn't request" but more to protect information. I know for a fact I use at elast TWO different systems, all of which are visible on the same screen, but only ONE contains infor...
(continues)
texaswireless

Mar 23, 2005, 9:24 PM
Hmmm,

Then why did Cingular set up the new store designs the way they did? If keeping the computer screen hidden is so important, why do the customers sit where they can see the screen?
Aarynk

Mar 23, 2005, 9:27 PM
texaswireless said:
Hmmm,

Then why did Cingular set up the new store designs the way they did? If keeping the computer screen hidden is so important, why do the customers sit where they can see the screen?

All of the Cingular, Verizon, and Sprint stores I have been to (Southern California) have the computer screen blocked off so it can only be viewed from behind the desk. Obviously there is a reason for this. Chill out customers do not need to be breathing down our necks while we work on their account. Everything they need to know is on the Contract
pizpiz80

Mar 23, 2005, 9:31 PM
In mall kiosks, for example, it is almost impossible to hide the computer screen. Maybe this is what they are talking about.
speedywalk

Mar 23, 2005, 9:32 PM
I don't work for Cingular. They might have different software than I use. You just cleverly dodged my statement. There may not be JUST your information on the screen at times. I have log-ins for 8 different systems that I have to keep open at all times. Now, you, as a custoemr, don't have any business with what's in any of them except the service/billing system. But I have to keep them all up. You can't know what I have in my company e-mail, our costs on equipment in our upgrade cost analysis program, our customer care program with market specific promos and resolution information, you don't need to know how we route your calls, what the back-end server names are for your voicemail, text messaging or call routing. Ask T-Mobile what happens w...
(continues)
texaswireless

Mar 23, 2005, 9:50 PM
I assumed you did,

Thanks for the clarification.

The original post did not address any of these issues, it simply stated the annoyed feeling of the poster, not their desire to keep private information private.
speedywalk

Mar 23, 2005, 9:53 PM
Ahh...but the reason he is irritated is exactly that reason. It IS private information and MUST be kept private. He's annoyed when customers try to nose their way around and see the screens anyway.

Speedywalk
texaswireless

Mar 23, 2005, 9:56 PM
Based on many of his other comments the context of this post was not taken as such.
speedywalk

Mar 23, 2005, 9:59 PM
Nevertheless, that is the reason for the original posting.

Speedywalk
ElmerFudPucker

Mar 23, 2005, 3:16 PM
Accidentally spit on them when you talk, or eat garlic and don't use breate mints.
UOQuack

Mar 28, 2005, 11:44 AM
How about having one of those setups that people use on their lawns to keep the dog from straying outside the property? You know, the dog shock collars? Every customer that comes through the door gets a collar, and if they lean to close to the monitor, they get buzzed. Of course, you would have to number the collars to make it seem legitimate. "Now serving number 2." On a like note, sales associates could be equipped with remote trigger devices, for dealing with those unruly customers we all know and love so well.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.